Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   driveshaft won't go into pilot-bearing !@%$* (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/934436-driveshaft-wont-go-into-pilot-bearing.html)

JacRyann 05-15-2016 05:14 PM

driveshaft won't go into pilot-bearing !@%$*

So I'm replacing clutch in my 944na and made sure I used a centering tool. When pushing the torque-tube/driveshaft back in, it goes through the clutch-disc just fine, then does a solid >thud< with 5-6mm to go. I suspect the disc isn't perfectly centered with the pilot-bearing. I verified this by putting some grease on the end. I can see the grease smeared on the splines, so it went through the disc. But the round end that goes into pilot-bearing has untouched grease.

What to do?

I'm thinking I can push the driveshaft through the clutch-disc. Then push down on the clutch-pedal and pin it in down with a 2x4 against the steering-wheel or seat.

Will this let me wiggle the end of the driveshaft up/down/sideways enough to get it into the pilot bearing?

944hal 05-15-2016 07:14 PM

Try putting a jack under the rear of the motor and raising it little by little. The rear of the motor can drop a little when the torque tube is unbolted. Also, if you can get the bolts that hold the torque tube to the bell threaded, carefully tighten them and it will help push the driveshaft into the pilot bearing. Just don't force it. I would not even put the slave cylinder in until the torque tube is bolted up.

BTW....a push broom with the business end wedged against the seat back works fine to hold the clutch in :-)

JacRyann 05-16-2016 01:17 AM

Earlier I tried jacking to make sure the crank was in-line and at same angle as driveshaft. It made sliding into clutch-disc easier, but still stopped at the pilot-bearing.

I used a 2-ft 2x4 on the clutch-pedal to seat. Then wiggled the clutch-disc around and got it in! It was off by less than 1mm, picky little suckers! Thank you everyone!

tempest411 05-16-2016 01:34 AM

I did exactly as you a long time ago when I bolted up a Ford Top-Loader to the BBC in my '70 Chevelle...Except I borrowed my loving mother for the clutch pressing duties:)

FRporscheman 05-16-2016 04:59 AM

I was going to say yes, push the clutch pedal, but you figured it out already, so kudos!

When using the clutch alignment tool, the tool sags down with gravity. The tip stays in the pilot bearing but the other end doesn't stay centered. So while you're bolting on the PP, hold the alignment tool up a little. This usually works for me.

CVR_Rally 05-16-2016 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by FRporscheman (Post 13291117)
When using the clutch alignment tool, the tool sags down with gravity. The tip stays in the pilot bearing but the other end doesn't stay centered. So while you're bolting on the PP, hold the alignment tool up a little. This usually works for me.

I love these little tips!