Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sender - what ruins them

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM
redmill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sender - what ruins them

currently futzing with an aftermarket VDO oil pressure gauge that used the blue/white wire that was going to the instrument cluster as Sender wire to the new gauge.

I had it working then no response from the original or new gauge

Fast forward... i put in a new sender, things went to normal, the original gauges worked, then the new one worked when i moved the connection to it.

I then soldered everything up and seated the new gauge in the lower console it stopped working again.
i reverted everything back to original. no joy, both new and old gauges not working.
also ran new wires all the way from new sender to gauges to eliminate 'is there a broken wire', still no joy

I admit i could have been a bit sloppy with the ground and 12volt on the new gauge, although i don't recall any shorting.

Is it possible i fried the new sender? Btw the idiot light still responds correctly...
Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, it's a very primitive rheostat. I ruined mine by accidentally shorting a wire when I was working behind the dash, same symptoms.

Quick Reply: oil pressure sender - what ruins them