Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Drift R&D

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Drift R&D

So i acquired a '86 944 about a year ago with questionable mechanical condition and minor hail damage. previous owner claimed the gauges had electrical shorts but in reality there were many things that were very wrong sort of deal yet somehow i still managed to daily drive it but it is on its final few months. figured its about a close as it gets to the perfect canvas for a retarded engine swap of some sorts and take it out on the drift course. Theres still a lot im working on figuring out, but so far i know it will be swapped with something porsche didnt conceive, and i will also be removing the transaxle and fitting a diff out of a cts-v or a supra or something. im aware there will be lots of fabrication to be done, i already have a shop and (almost) all the tools i need to do this. i was hoping to get a little input from the forum here to help me make a few decisions as to what exactly im gonna do with the car. There will be lots of questions, some of them probably pretty dumb so please be patient with me haha.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't know if you'll get a lot here. Most Porsche people would say drifting is the 'Two Girls One Cup' of the racing world...
Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ST1TCHE5
So i acquired a '86 944 about a year ago with questionable mechanical condition and minor hail damage. previous owner claimed the gauges had electrical shorts but in reality there were many things that were very wrong sort of deal yet somehow i still managed to daily drive it but it is on its final few months. figured its about a close as it gets to the perfect canvas for a retarded engine swap of some sorts and take it out on the drift course. Theres still a lot im working on figuring out, but so far i know it will be swapped with something porsche didnt conceive, and i will also be removing the transaxle and fitting a diff out of a cts-v or a supra or something. im aware there will be lots of fabrication to be done, i already have a shop and (almost) all the tools i need to do this. i was hoping to get a little input from the forum here to help me make a few decisions as to what exactly im gonna do with the car. There will be lots of questions, some of them probably pretty dumb so please be patient with me haha.
Be better off doing a hybrid stroker Turbo using the engine you already have. Will cost enough on its own.
Several here have done them with great success. I'm doing one. The that race time attacks using our base platform use them with 500rwhp and up.
That or v8 swap. Trying to remove the torque tube will result in a headache and a parts car. Even the v8 guys keep it.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

if you aren't afraid of cutting up the torque tube "tunnel" area you can fit whatever engine/trans you want.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:14 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

You'll definitely find more guidance/ideas on the 944Hybrids forum... there are some builds out there close to what you are looking for.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

I was gonna post something on 944hybrid as well but they're having server issues and won't let me register so I'll try again later. But I'm definitely ditching the torque tube and transaxle..... Not a fan. I'll either be swapping a lsx, 2jz, or build a 20b. Some of the questions I currently have are where are the easiest places on the 944 to loose considerable weight? Also, do you think the factory mounting locations for the transaxle and suspension stuff would be sufficient hold a subframe to the car? Another thing I was wondering is how much power the chassis can handle before it starts flexing too much and requires stiffening
Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Contact this person in this thread. He drifts man 944 series cars and is pretty damn good too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...amo-951-a.html
Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944s are fairly solid in my experience, even if somehow chassis flexing became an issue you could weld in a proper cage much more easily than all this other stuff you're planning out.

What do you have against the torque tube?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

Dobt really like the torque tube cause even the 951 transaxle can't take much power before it's a clutch kick away from making glittery gear oil. My plan with the car is if there isn't a good way to mount a subframe in the back to hold a diff and a multi link setup is to at least go partial tube frame. If I can I'll just put a cage in and a tube front end, it doesn't look like the stock cross member can take much either. How much does the 2.5l Na engine weigh? Just curious, the lsx and the 2j would both be iron block.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Dobt really like the torque tube cause even the 951 transaxle can't take much power before it's a clutch kick away from making glittery gear oil. My plan with the car is if there isn't a good way to mount a subframe in the back to hold a diff and a multi link setup is to at least go partial tube frame. If I can I'll just put a cage in and a tube front end, it doesn't look like the stock cross member can take much either. How much does the 2.5l Na engine weigh? Just curious, the lsx and the 2j would both be iron block.
I'm wondering where you are getting that info regarding there transaxles. Porsche, Corvettes and Gtrs use them fine. Our cars are holding them with over 700hp.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

I was told the 951 transaxle could only take ~400hp?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

I was told the 951 transaxle could only take ~400hp?
Someone did you a huge disservice.

Michael Mount has made or n/a engines have that amount of power.
The doch 16 valve guys average 500 at the wheel without breathing hard.
I know a few who have that with the 8 valve head. Search hybrid stroker.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...bo-s-forum-72/
Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

I'm shooting for somewhere around 800 HP. Do you think the 951 transaxle would hold up to that along with me treating the clutch like a kid does a anthill? I like the idea of a transaxle due to the weight distribution advantages and it puts less torsional stress on the chassis, but I wanna make sure whatever is in there isn't something I have to replace every season. I was looking into using a t56 maybe dog box or v160 budget permitting. I was thinking about maybe using a Corvette transaxle but shortening the torque tube alone seemed like to much work for whats it's worth not to mention it's most likely too wide to fit anyways
Old 04-07-2016, 05:43 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

I'm shooting for somewhere around 800 HP. Do you think the 951 transaxle would hold up to that along with me treating the clutch like a kid does a anthill? I like the idea of a transaxle due to the weight distribution advantages and it puts less torsional stress on the chassis, but I wanna make sure whatever is in there isn't something I have to replace every season. I was looking into using a t56 maybe dog box or v160 budget permitting. I was thinking about maybe using a Corvette transaxle but shortening the torque tube alone seemed like to much work for whats it's worth not to mention it's most likely too wide to fit anyways
I'm no expert but we haven't seen the limited of the Turbo s LSD transmission or the Constantine torque tube with super bearings.
I'd be asking some of the guys on here actually making power than believing what others tell you.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

Alrighty. another thing im trying to take into account is the availability of parts when the inevitable happens so i dont have to wait weeks for something

Quick Reply: Project Drift R&D