Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer build thread: Megasquirt and more...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:47 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Very Nice
Thanks, how is your wiring coming?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

looking for the Sausagehacker goes V8 thread.

might even post it myself.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:56 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
looking for the Sausagehacker goes V8 thread.

might even post it myself.
That was my plan up until a few months ago. I decided that this motor has enough love in it (and only 14k miles on a full rebuild) that I'll keep it in this car. And then I'll get another car, maybe a 944-based maybe not, to put a V8 into.

Plus right now I'm not financially able to commit to a V8 conversion without taking shortcuts. I'd rather do it right so the car isn't half-*** after all that work.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Still working on wiring. Soldered in most connectors and finished building a new fuse/relay panel.

It would have saved me so much time if I had just reused the factory harness and DME relay, combined with some inline fuses for stuff like MS and the o2 sensor. Really hoping this time/energy investment pays dividends...no more DME relay and a 2015 harness
Old 07-01-2015, 01:49 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Your task is to convince me to run an EDIS system on my 944.
Tell me what gains there really are to be had vs the regular old electronically controlled distributor as far as smooth running, timing accuracy, and power production.

Seems to me an upgrade is really only in order if the stock system is failing at certain conditions but it is not...please give me a reason to spend money
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Your task is to convince me to run an EDIS system on my 944.
Tell me what gains there really are to be had vs the regular old electronically controlled distributor as far as smooth running, timing accuracy, and power production.

Seems to me an upgrade is really only in order if the stock system is failing at certain conditions but it is not...please give me a reason to spend money
I've never installed or run an EDIS system, my info only comes from the praise it's been given by people who have done the conversion on cars that normally had distributors. I would encourage you to ask people who have experienced both on the same motor for objective feedback, if you decide it's worth investigating seriously.

Advantages: more powerful spark (main improvement for top end performance), more accurate timing, more timing configuration, solid state electronics vs. cap/rotor/coil which flake out when it's wet out

Disadvantages: you lose any spark config you had with Rogue or other setups. Would have to invest in a controller, although on the flip side you can tune via GUI effortlessly and with more options than before. Would need to spend a few hours under hood working out where everything mounts and all.

Really has to be your call. It would be more of a drivability improvement more than a raw power improvement. Any "raw power" gain would come from timing options that you didn't have before, or the more powerful spark which allowed a better burn at high RPMs. Quote from Aurora Electronics:

"Any spark will do to run an engine" - partly true. If the spark can initiate combustion, the engine will run. Beyond that it is a matter of efficiency. The fact is that there is a finite amount of time for a mixture to burn before the exhaust valves open. As well, the higher the RPM the shorter this time becomes. Here is an analogy to demonstrate this. If you were to take a sheet of paper and light it with a match, the paper will burn in " x " amount of time. If you were to use a larger flame to ignite the same sheet of paper, the subsequent larger flame front would consume the paper in a shorter period of time. Both methods will burn the paper no question. But like an engine, if you only have a finite amount of time to complete a burn, you would choose the larger flame. This is not to imply that fuel burns slowly in an engine. Fuel actually burns very quickly, however we are talking about only milliseconds of available time to completely burn in a cylinder between valve openings.
This is the reason that Corvette guys upgrade to the LS2 coils found in LS trucks...they have a spark so hot you can practically weld with it. They see noticeable dyno gains. I think it would be cool to see more 944s with DIY engine management setups, but like I said, has to be your call.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:28 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Finished the wiring today, power to MS and all other peripherals at key-on. Next step is configuring and verifying all sensors - that involves running the car with the DME and allowing MS to just read the sensors that it has access to.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:43 AM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What software you using to program the MS?
Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Thanks, how is your wiring coming?
Slow, I am still buying tools, wires, and connectors.

I've also been doing a lot of reading.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_...c_location=ufi
Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JacRyann
What software you using to program the MS?
It's called TunerStudio MS:

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/tun...rstudioms-menu

There are even smartphone apps for tuning on the fly

That's god-tier wiring.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM
coldfuzion76
Intermediate

I used to do wiring on Blackhawk helicopters. Those are for sure the exact spec numbers on the stuff we used. I had been wondering where to get the stuff outside of there. Not sure I want to tackle that just yet, but I think this winter I'll start my own Microsquirt....
Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watching this thread with interest, I am planning on a MS conversion to my 944S as well, probably next summer. I have had to replace a handful of old brittle connectors already and I'd love to have a new engine harness and new ECU. Plus, the possibility of gaining a bit of extra performance and tunability isn't bad.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Have been playing with TunerStudio, all sensors are calibrated and ready to go, except the crank sensor which I haven't set up yet.

The 951 TPS calibrates easily - installed on a freshly rebuilt NA throttle body. Wideband O2 sensor is also alive.

Wired up the ignition coils, and started installing the black conduit on the harness runs that are good to go. Starting to look more like an engine bay! Will post a pic or two when it's come along a little more.

Plan for tomorrow: start the car with the DME, and run MS in "observer" mode to datalog the MAP and AFR values.

Originally Posted by coldfuzion76
I used to do wiring on Blackhawk helicopters. Those are for sure the exact spec numbers on the stuff we used. I had been wondering where to get the stuff outside of there. Not sure I want to tackle that just yet, but I think this winter I'll start my own Microsquirt....
Originally Posted by SloMo228
Watching this thread with interest, I am planning on a MS conversion to my 944S as well, probably next summer. I have had to replace a handful of old brittle connectors already and I'd love to have a new engine harness and new ECU. Plus, the possibility of gaining a bit of extra performance and tunability isn't bad.
Do it! It's like going from a dial phone to a smartphone.

Last edited by odonnell; 07-06-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:14 AM
coldfuzion76
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Do it! It's like going from a dial phone to a smartphone.
The car's been up in the air far too long right now getting full coilovers and bushing replacement. Need to get it down and drive it!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SloMo228
Going MAF with a good tune will net you around 10hp. The other factors (sequential vs Batch fire, wideband O2 integration) i can't tell you.

Quick Reply: Summer build thread: Megasquirt and more...