Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaint, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:38 AM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint, is it worth it?

So, really looking to get my 944T repainted in the next 2-3 weeks and looking for a sanity check.

Got quoted $1850 to repaint the entire car with 2 PPG base coats, and 3 PPG clear coats.

Hood is going to be stripped due to crows feet in clear and generally bad prep from PO paint job. At this price shop said they will not be disassembling the car ie., bumpers, handles, mirrors, front nose panel, or doing the door jambs.

So, what are you thoughts on this deal, shop warranties the work for 10yrs.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 11:47 AM
markaria1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what its worth... I had my honda painted for around that much (also not dissassembled) and ive never been too happy with the paint job...seems ok from a few feet away but when you start looking really close ---especially around the edges it leaves something to be desired . Usually a good paint job will cost at least 4-5k from a reputable shop and can be quite a bit more for a show quality job. Of course it also depends on the skill of the painer and the prep work which should take much longer than the painting itself.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Before you do it, ask to look at the work they do. Look at door jams, trunk hinges, seams, lights, bumpers, underneath & weather stripping. There will always be errors, but it's nice to have a sense of the quality. Paint jobs can be a positive or negative experience. That is a great price if their work is good.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Before you do it, ask to look at the work they do. Look at door jams, trunk hinges, seams, lights, bumpers, underneath & weather stripping. There will always be errors, but it's nice to have a sense of the quality. Paint jobs can be a positive or negative experience. That is a great price if their work is good.
He does great work, semi-retired in his 60's. He really only does full resto's of old muscle cars, antiques and older. I used to buy, fix, and sell salvage cars, so I can tell you about shoddy workmanship from crappy body shops any day and he isn't one of them.

I asked him just to do the front end since from the doors back are in excellent condition, he said no way, not going to do all this work just to paint 1/2 a car, might as well do the whole car, it's the right thing to do it all at once, which is his preference.

Wish I could convince him to strip the car and repaint for that price.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I stripped all the trim and seals and lights and stuff from my car when I got it painted. Gave them the headlight covers, bumpers, mirrors and sunroof as separate pieces. Made them paint it twice because the first time was bad on edges. Including dent repairs came to $1500.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I stripped all the trim and seals and lights and stuff from my car when I got it painted. Gave them the headlight covers, bumpers, mirrors and sunroof as separate pieces. Made them paint it twice because the first time was bad on edges. Including dent repairs came to $1500.
Did you remove the hatch? I haven't taken the trim apart on the outside door/window frame, is it held in via clips that will crumble in my hands when removed?

I don't mind doing the work knowing its doing the job right with no tape lines and overspray on the trim, I'm sure the bodyshop wouldn't mind either, but I would have to check with him also.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Yes removed hatch and rain gutters and door window trim and seals... All just clips in.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Man, if you can get a factory quality paint job for $1800, you should do it! Most shops charge $4-5k for that! I paid $1500 just to have one side of the car painted...
Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Man, if you can get a factory quality paint job for $1800, you should do it! Most shops charge $4-5k for that! I paid $1500 just to have one side of the car painted...
Damn....I paid close to that just for the actual paint, let alone the labor to prep and spray it on. If he has a deal on good paint and will do it that cheap I say go for it. My paint job cost me $5500 and I stripped all trim and bolted on parts (except front fenders), and there weren't any major dings or repairs needed.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Damn....I paid close to that just for the actual paint, let alone the labor to prep and spray it on. If he has a deal on good paint and will do it that cheap I say go for it. My paint job cost me $5500 and I stripped all trim and bolted on parts (except front fenders), and there weren't any major dings or repairs needed.
He said that's including all bodywork also for $1850, might be cheaper he said if he doesn't see any previous horror stories, but he's already seen the car and doesn't foresee any issues.

I need to sell some stuff, and get some funds rolling before I commit.

Anyone interested in a vitesse MAF kit? Ipad? Kidney? lol
Old 02-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell of a deal if he does a good job.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by Dino V
Hell of a deal if he does a good job.
And to think, I was shooting for him to do it for $1500. He said he will need the car for 2 weeks to fix the hood, block sand car, primer, base, clear, color sand(i think, maybe wrong here), and back to me as a finished product.

He's slow, but it's his name/paint riding out the door on my car. As long as I get the car back before springtime, i'll be fine with that.

I am excited to get the car looking like a 10 again, 27 years young, hopefully!

Car is still a good 10 footer. But I know all of its body/paint imperfections, and it's driving me crazy knowing it and not doing anything about it.

Last edited by fiily; 05-20-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:19 AM
markaria1
Advanced

take some closeups of the current state and after paint...would be nice to see how it comes out!
Old 02-15-2015, 11:29 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I would strongly suggest you remove all the bits and pieces (bumpers, lights, etc.) yourself and let him paint the pcs that need painting.

Also, think about replacing some of the rubber seals (around the doors, windows, door handles, mirrors, etc.). Sunset Porsche

I think that attention to detail will really make a big difference vs not removing anything and keeping the 27 yr. old rubber.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Originally Posted by DLarsen
I would strongly suggest you remove all the bits and pieces (bumpers, lights, etc.) yourself and let him paint the pcs that need painting.

Also, think about replacing some of the rubber seals (around the doors, windows, door handles, mirrors, etc.). Sunset Porsche

I think that attention to detail will really make a big difference vs not removing anything and keeping the 27 yr. old rubber.
i agree as i think this would yield much better results and is what i would do if it were me...

Quick Reply: Repaint, is it worth it?