Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Weird leak when raining - passenger side (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/850498-weird-leak-when-raining-passenger-side.html)

odonnell 12-27-2014 05:05 PM

Weird leak when raining - passenger side

I'm getting pretty annoyed with this leak, I can't find it, I think it must be behind interior panels. Total noob when it comes to stuff like this. It's on the passenger side, no apparent water leaking in from the hatch.

Voith 12-27-2014 05:39 PM

Check under battery. Po of my car solved it with silicone and painted over it, it looked perfectly ok but leaked. :)

HICKS 12-27-2014 06:22 PM

Battery tray.

odonnell 12-27-2014 06:33 PM

Battery tray was perfect when I had the battery out about a month ago, I'll check again, thanks guys.

kwikt 12-27-2014 06:48 PM

Just fixed mine yesterday on the 968. Do you have a sunroof??? If so the sunroof rubber drain tube became disconnected from the metal sleeve in the corner of the dash. Remove the sun roof then pour some water in the front right corner drain of the sun roof and look for dripping under the dash. Very simple fix if this is the problem.

pdxfj 12-27-2014 07:31 PM

I have/had a similar leak. Pull the carpet and trim panels from behind the seat and between the side window and hatch. You might find water there as well.

What I discovered is my sunroof seal had small cracks in it and was leaking on the inside of the seal (between sunroof and seal), dripping down on the inside of the headliner, finally making its way down to the floor in the same spot (all on the inside panels). Also found trails of water into the rear cubbies and dripping on the tail lights. My sunroof drains were free and clear.

When I pulled the sunroof out to put a new seal on, the original one damn near fell off on its own and I could see evidence of water getting though between the sunroof, seal and headliner. Never touching the tray or drains.

No idea if the new sunroof seal solved the issue since the car has been in the garage for the past several months. My front carpet felt damp as well near the seat and my guess was water wicking/soaking its' way forward.

HICKS 12-27-2014 09:43 PM

How is the battery tray drain?

NoRush993/951 12-27-2014 11:54 PM

There is an 1.5" cowl drain port at the bottom of the battery tray on the wheel well side. Blow some compressed air thru the drain as it can gunk up with dirt /leaves and block up. There is another one on the driver's side too.

NineFourFourNeophyte 12-28-2014 10:39 AM

hi, i'm thinking same as kwikt, that hose sometimes from the factory is just enough, (i think in some cases, it should have been a little longer) and after time because of shrinking or the sealant letting go, it starts leaking there.
whatever it is hope you solve it.

odonnell 12-28-2014 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the pointers, I'm going to get in there... as soon as the rain dies down. Naturally

kwikt 12-28-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NineFourFourNeophyte (Post 11908676)
hi, i'm thinking same as kwikt, that hose sometimes from the factory is just enough, (i think in some cases, it should have been a little longer) and after time because of shrinking or the sealant letting go, it starts leaking there.
whatever it is hope you solve it.

Exactly right, all they have is black putty around the coupler. My driver side was a year ago and now it was the passenger side.

ferraristyle 12-28-2014 05:02 PM

Same leak I'm trying to find....

kwikt 12-28-2014 09:11 PM

The front drain spouts exit by the hood hinges, one on the left and one on the right(behind the battery).
Pull the inside windshield pillar(3 screws) to gain access to the rubber hose.

odonnell 12-28-2014 09:28 PM

I poured water directly down the sunroof drain which empties over the p/s hood hinge, it all made it out. I didn't see any leaking into the interior when water was poured. Now that the car is mostly dried out I'll be pouring water over different areas and seeing if anything becomes apparent.

944hal 12-29-2014 11:35 AM

Wait until it's dark, then stick a bright light in the passenger foot well. Open the hood and look at the battery tray and see if any of the light shows through.