Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS Blaster Worm. It's a real threat.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SidViscous
I have yet to hear of the BSA going after anyone, certainly not individuals.
But they could.
A year ago people said that the RIAA will go after Napster, Kazaa, etc. but not after individuals. They go after the biggest first, then they go after the next biggest, etc.
You'll probably never get sued. But then you'll probably not get hit by a drunk driver on your way home tonight. I still suggest you buckle up.

"It'd be nice if you could follow the conversation. I did not say their licensing agreements are the same, I said the products"
And it would be nice if you could follow. The original part about that thread was about the licensing of things like XP 2k and the like and how it puts all that information in documents and how M$ can track it down. When were we talking about drivers or upgrades.
Then it's nice, because I can and did follow it. Even win95 has a limited number of valid license keys that can be tracked. And it's the office suite that puts the tracking info in the documents. MS office 97+.

Yes your right it was (though the computer is much more pervasive than trains ever were) not my point once again. They were a monopoly and in fact were one of the major reasons (along with the steel industry) that brought about the anti monoply laws. And that the FALL of the train industry was faster and harder than the .coms.
The decline of the railroads is measured in decades. The dot-bomb is measured in months.

That deal was shady to say the least.
It wasn't very nice of bill to buy dos cheap, and then use it to make millions. I'd feel pretty stupid if I was the guy who wrote it.

"If you can selectively apply your ethics, then you have none."
Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one and they all stink. Ethics are one of those things that can be argued form both sides until the Gateway cows come home.
If you think ethics are opinions and not absolutes, then you have no ethics.

POint being they have cash. Companies that loose money don't. M$ salaries are only partially in stocks, as most large computer companies do.
My employer has lost money every quarter for over a year now, we have lots of cash on hand. My previous employer (webMD) never made a penny before I started, while I was there, and probably not since, but they have loads of cash. Companies keep large amounts of cash reserves to cover these recession induced lean periods.
And yes, I realize that MS does not pay its employees purely in stocks (I don't see how you could get that from what I wrote). What it does do is pay them a hefty amount in stock.

20% of the market? Please. Other than Apple I've never seen anything but Wintel sold in any computer store or major producer. Al's house of Linuk is not 20% of the market.
Well, GNU/Linux boxes are the second largest desktop segment worldwide (ahead of apple by most measurements), and the second largest server segment worldwide. In webservers, they are the most numerous, and in certain segments (like beowulf supercomputing) they are as dominant as the MS desktop.
It's estimated that 20-25% of the computers on Earth run GNU/Linux or BSD.

How is what your doing NOT passive. It's nothing but ignoring. If you want to cut out so much of your market, good luck with it. Personally I sell to anyone who wants it. I'm pretty sure Bill G doesn't even know who I am, much less loves me.
I really think you should invest in that dictionary.
What I'm doing is nothing but ignoring...and promoting alternatives...and denying funds...and producing alternatives. How exactly is that passive?
If I don't use their products (which I don't) and make the alternatives better (which I do) and convince others to follow suit (which I try), then eventually, given enough successes, MS will lose its dominance. If you continue on your path of using their products (with or without paying for them), but bitching loudly about how you hate MS and billg, you'll make absolutely no impact, just a lot of useless noise. And eventually, you'll have to upgrade to their latest OS, with the DRM and the strict licensing, because otherwise, you won't be able to use the latest software or hardware. And when you do, he'll have you, and you'll be paying $200/yr. to rent windows 2005.
No I don't think billg actually loves you, I'm guessing you're not Melinda Gates, so he probably doesn't care about you. But he loves your type. In the mid to late 90s the largest source of unlicensed MS software was MS. They gave it away covertly, because they'd rather have you using their software for free than using a competitor's product. It was a method of building up market share while destroying the competition. Now that they have the dominant market share, you're stuck, so they can try to force everybody to pay. The only problem with that plan is the Free Software movement. They can't put it out of business, and they can't buy it out: they're screwed.

"Why not start with your own? " If I could do my job easily, and use the same equipment I already have I would. Hopefully the new BeOS will solve that problem. Any Idea how I can get my VPN to work on a non-MS platform?
Quit. I wouldn't work at a job that required me to use windows on my home machine.

"Then how are you using MS on your computer?" I also use non M$ product, I test non M$ product, and in fact I used to work for SUN, last I heard a non-M$ house there. And even they had employees using MS, laptops don't you know. Nowadays not using M$ is like not using roads paved with Asphalt, or using pwer that doesn't come from a Bechtel maunfactured power plant.
What non-MS products do you use? And if you're supporting some other proprietary system (like Oracle or Sun) then all you're doing is paving the way for the next evil software company. The only difference between Gates and guys like McNealy and Ellison, is Gates was able to fulfill his megalomaniacal dream.
It's difficult to avoid MS, but it's not impossible.

No your characterization was not accurate, how was it? You may not be 17 but that was meant to be humouros/insulting not a characterization.
My characterization was accurate: you use MS products, perpetuating the dominance, while bitching about how much you hate them, as if that makes you less of a microserf.

Yeah I geuss Billy did give a lot to Bush
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/polit...ics000608.html
"Hedging its bets, Microsoft itself has staked out bipartisan territory in making campaign donations. The company has given $2.2 million in contributions this election cycle, a figure that is divided almost exactly between Democratic and Republican interests. "
I didn't say he only gave to Bush, but he did give quite a bit. A lot of that democrat money probably went to WA's Senators and Representatives. Most of them are very MS friendly. How much did he and ballmer and the others give? MS (including private donations from its top people) is a major player in the DC lobbying and contribution scene. billg's business ethics, which you and I both seem to loathe, translate well into politics.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SidViscous
PS

I've always wanted to develop a nice low slung efficient OS. And even talked to some people to do a project. Never pans out.

Not a programmer myself so I can't do it alone.
Contribute to one that exists, like BSD or GNU/Linux.
Engineering is only a part of the effort. I bet you can write documentation, test, evangelize, or manage a project.
If you want to really contribute to bill's downfall (in the OS market, it'd take an act of Congress to make that man poor), then contribute to one of these projects. If you do, I'll take back what I said about bill liking you. I'll say he hates you as much as he hates me.
Due to BSD's licensing, it's perfectly legal to use parts of the BSD system in a proprietary project (win2k and xp both do), so I'd suggest assisting with GNU/Linux, since it is GPL'd.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try BeOS..
Old 08-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

BeOS is a good OS (and an amazing one for multimedia types), from what I hear. There have been rumors for years about Be (and now Palm) opening the source code, but at this point I doubt it'll happen.
That basically means it's dead, since they're not releasing or updating BeOS, and they won't let the community do it.
That's one of the downfalls of proprietary software: they can cut you off at anytime, and you can never improve past the last version they released. OS/2 lovers have the same problem.
There are petitions online asking Palm to open the code. And there are projects trying to replace BeOS with open alternatives.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:11 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

No thanks, I don't join cults.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11127

Quick Reply: MS Blaster Worm. It's a real threat.