Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

What are the rod dimensions on the VAG 2.5 I-5?
Rod length, rod bearing dimension, etc...

Maybe the hybrid stroker concept can be applied there as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I like the Audi 4.2 motors and have had one for many years but they are probably too wide for the 944. If they aren't you'd probably have oil pan, steering shaft and brake booster issues. The oil pan is backwards from what you want IIRC.

I do not personally care about the origin of the engine, I think if Porsche could get the motor they wanted from China they'd do it. It's just a part of the car, the tires might be from Thailand, who knows.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

yep, too wide.

but dammit there's an engine that fits. Geebus....

in 5 years, there will be Euro guys ordering LS motors.

loyalty to the fatherland isn't easy to kill.

I had to rush away on business for a couple of days but.....

let's get the party started with the parts list. ok, first, there's Sloan's book......

it's been available online for free for ages *(w/ menu/chapter navigation).

http://944hybrids.pbworks.com/w/page...hopping%20List

I'll put up another parts list that (here) later. but first I gotta run an errand in Boston.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I had an A8 with a 4.2 and the sucker broke a rod and killed the engine , thats with less than 40 K mi on it. Got another low mileage engine out of a wreck and it burned up a valve shortly after. Mechanic said those engines have a sludging problem. Great. Not long after getting it back on the road my barber asked hows the Audi?, Great say me. Says he, 'time to sell it'. I took my barbers advice and sold it immediately. in two years that car cost me 8000 bucks. You couldn't pay me to buy an Audi (outside of an ironclad warranty).
Anybody know anybody who spent that kind of dough repairing an LS engine?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I do not personally care about the origin of the engine, I think if Porsche could get the motor they wanted from China they'd do it. It's just a part of the car, the tires might be from Thailand, who knows.
Seriously.
The 944 wasn't built in a Porsche factory, but an Audi/ex-NSU factory down the road.

The gearbox is Audi, the rear suspension is VW, the front suspension and steering hardware is VW.

The AC system is NipponDenso using a compressor that is also used on all Ford vehicles with a 5.0 or 5.8 V8 of the same era. My OEM Porsche heater core hoses had Ford logos stamped in the rubber.

Just because the engine says PORSCHE on it doesn't make it the ultimate engineering exercise...
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-05-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:47 AM
V996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Seriously.
The 944 wasn't built in a Porsche factory, but an Audi/ex-NSU factory down the road.

The gearbox is Audi, the rear suspension is VW, the front suspension and steering hardware is VW.

The AC system is NipponDenso using a compressor that is also used on all Ford vehicles with a 5.0 or 5.8 V8 of the same era. My OEM Porsche heater core hoses had Ford logos stamped in the rubber.

Just because the engine says PORSCHE on it doesn't make it the ultimate engineering exercise...
Lots of truth here. An lsx doesn't make it not a Porsche. It's a Porsche because of the look and how the car was designed. An lsx does very little to change the design of the car, just adds a few pounds and a lot of horsepower that the car is begging for (as demonstrated by the turbo being a blast to drive... But not maintain).
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default trading up for more endless amusement and turd polishing....

"HEY, MAYBE IF I INSTALL AN AUDI MOTOR IN MY PORSCHE..."

no. srsly... don't do that.

I can't help but be full of wonderment in the ultimate irony.....

it's been tried and tested. put through the ringer.....

and it's quite possible that the 968 3.0 turbo engine is one of the only inline engines that's ever come out of Germany....
that makes big power and actually f_cking works.

ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit; after all, we do have the BMW M-series.

*there's also a few additional asterisks.

first being: like ALMOST ALL the other VAG products, the 968 engines cost a small fortune to build, maintain and run.

but, just some more recent examples of 'VAG' costing a fortune to maintain;

Audi R8, RS7, S4, A4, and all the rest of the Audi and VW lineup......

folks, Audi has been building inline engines for more than 4 decades.

my 1974 80/Fox motor was awesome. but that was a 1500 cc sewing machine.

a lot of you don't know this, but there were endless Audi 4000 engine failures back in the '80s....

my school mate Karen Cisco's dad was the Boss of maintenance Annis Porsche/Audi in Natick.

at one point, the cars got so bad, Annis went out of business.

Mr. Cisco used to go on and on about my engine being the only one that never had to come back to his shop
for major service or fighting the owners of SEIZED engines.

to be fair, these problems were mostly concerning the 4 cylinder 4000s.... from all I know the 80's/90's/early 00's 5 cylinders
were decent engines, so I'm incredulous about why Audi phased them out before bringing them back with in the TT's.

we could maintain that there is a pattern by expanding the conversation to include the 80s or Porsche's flat six cataclysms, but then we'd be getting terribly more bloated.... but a few people know were it not for MERCEDES BENZ - VAG/WV/AUDI would be plastered all over the GUINESS BOOK and hold ALL THE RECORDS for maintenance costs in the Third Millennium in nearly all of the respective classes.

frankly, the cars are wonderful.

but, the situation of reliability is so bad, lately they even managed to make Alfa Romeo look good (Geebus).

if time permits we could get into discussing VW engines, but for the moment,
let's just talk about Audi (some of the most completely epic ****boxes on the road today);

btw, this week's disaster is the brakes (70,000 Audi's recalled).... http://:surr: http://www.livemint.co...em-proble.html

first, the A4: (world's worst mid-level performance car).... parked right in the middle of Audi's 3.8~4.0% engine failure rate.

the biggest problem with these engines?? MASSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION most astonishingly; with low mile cars still under warranty.

this is the prelude to the next issue; endless electrical problems and TOTAL engine failures.

isolated issue? nope!! it's been going on for years.

here's some examples of not-at-all-unusual Audi A4 ownership experiences...

Originally Posted by nervous-cuz my f_cking warranty ends soon.
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the original Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
Originally Posted by fokked....
I'm on the fence about to trade in a 2006 A3 2.0T for a 2009 A4 2.0T - the thought was that the oil consumption issues I've been told are "normal" on my A3 were resolved in the later model years. But I guess not.... Consider yourself one of the lucky ones who's oil consumption is so terrible that they are going to do something about it. My car is burning about a quart every 1200 mi and that's "normal". Now that I'm out of warranty of course, there's no hope in getting Audi to address the problem unless they do a full on recall. Given the number of 2.0T FSI engines out there, I doubt it...
Originally Posted by not born yesterday....
i bought a CPO 25000 miles on it Audi West Covina. oil was so low when i checked after 3 days. they said that they dont know where the oil went. they did the 25000 service to the car and i checked oil lever when i claimed it. car is now nearing 27000 miles. i think about a quart is gone. how do you tell if its a quart in the dip stick by the way? dealer told me thats normal. BS! i've owned BMWs and Mercedes....

Euro guys: try not to crap yourselves....
but don't even think of missing this one:

Originally Posted by off the German tech Kool-aid...
Many of their 2.0Ts consume oil, it's just a matter of how much. Audi told me that 1 quart per 1200 miles was "normal" and published as such by Audi. So I asked, "How many miles do I get between oil changes?".

They said, "about 5000".

I asked, "How many quarts does the engine hold?"

Dealer said, "about 5 quarts."

I said, "5000 miles divided by 1200 miles equals just over 4 quarts of oil consumed between oil changes. Should I come in with less than 1 quart of oil?"

Dealer had a blank look on their face and said, "No, you can bring it in to top-off when the oil light is on."

I said, "so you want me to come in every 1200 miles and get topped off until the oil change?"

he said, "yes if needed."

I jokingly stated, "well, I should never need an oil change since it's constantly being burned off." They weren't laughing.

is all this just cherry picking? no, and GOD NO:

what other high production cars do you know where you get to be the guinea pig for 'product enhancement??'
what else but an Audi of course.
http://www.carbidoff.com/audi-a4-pro...-buying-an-a4/

just a taste of more massive oil consumption and getting endlessly zapped by Bosch endless garbage.

Originally Posted by don't ever buy an Audi.... you'll be tearing your hair out
Purchased 2009 A4 from Jack Daniels Audi in Upper Saddle Rive NJ about 2 years ago. Disrespect and deception seem to be the norm at this dealer, and I was soon to find out with Audi USA also. The car broke down within the first weeks of ownership (ANOTHER ENDLESS BOSCH ENGINE MANAGEMENT FAILURE). I was on my way to IL from NJ when it just died in PA. I called the dealer and they were no help saying call Audi USA. I informed the dealer I need a rental car to get home for work. Long story short, it took NJ consumer affairs action to get reimbursed. The car was eventually picked up, at my expense, and driven to IL. The car burned oil at a rate of 1 qt per 750 miles. Sometimes more. I informed the Audi dealer, they stated "all Audis burn oil". It was unimaginable, this is how the car was designed. I was finally told by the dealer that a "oil fix" was available, and after 3 attempts, they said it was done.

On attempt 4 I was told drive 100 miles and bring it back, didn't make 100 miles, and broke down on the side of the road. I was told the timing chain was no good and needed replacement, then I don't hear from the dealer for weeks. Dealer called 2 weeks later, saying rings, pistons and values need replacement, FOR EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION! 2 more weeks and I get a call from Audi USA that they WILL NOT ship the car to me in California. The car is in IL, ruined my family's vacation, and now its stuck there. Audi has even now backed out of their offer to "make a deal on a new Audi" even though I will NEVER buy another Audi. The car is junk, bad dealers, and horrible customer service.
Originally Posted by what have I done....
While driving the car and just leaving the motor way I thought the brakes had failed, then realized the engine had cut out. After 6 hours with my wife and my daughter a recovery truck turn up. We eventually got it back to a local Garage to be told the engine had seized. After phoning around different Audi approved dealers and told Q7 engines are bullet proof. I paid to have my car collected and taken to an Audi garage, to be told after 2 weeks and a new battery that my engine was in deed knackered!!! Insurance won’t cover this… Audi do not want to Know, so I am left paying for a crap pos that now worthless and will cost thousands to repair. Seem I’m not the only one to suffer the fate of the Q7. It’s a 2007 with 82k of mileage. Is this what Audi call Vorsprung Technik… What a load of crap!!!!
Originally Posted by dead, just dead and so too will be you if you install one of these engines in your 944....
purchased an Audi used with 21,000 kms. Since owning it, I had some major stuttering during acceleration. The technicians had it in the shop no less than 5 times replacing parts or cleaning injectors. Just before warranty ran out, I asked if I had their commitment to repair this known problem before the warranty ran out - I had this in writing. Sure enough, even though I was promised a fifth time that it was repaired, the same issue occurred. Since this was after warranty the dealer had to use "good will," but after a few attempts gave up and pretty much left me to deal with Audi Canada directly.

Audi Canada suggest it was the wiring harness or computer that could have been making the issue and offered to pay 50% of the total cost. Even though this should have been covered under warranty in the first place, they would not budge and gave me an ultimatum that if I didn't accept the offer, they would retract it. Even worse, after agreeing, I asked if this would be a guaranteed fix. They said, "No guarantee and no refund if this did not fix the issue." So, less for me.

I will NEVER buy an Audi again. I love the look and feeling of the drive, but the customer service was absolutely brutal. Never have I been treated so poorly for such a top price item. I was basically speaking to a brick wall when dealing with Audi Canada. The dealer was great but had to abide by Audi Canada. Seriously, think twice before you buy an Audi!
f_cking BOSCH !!

hey man, when was the last time you saw a Ford pickup dead on the side of the road?

my dear friends, we are in the midst of an epic multiple generational struggle with respect to so-called German engineering and bullet-proof, high performance cars.

I've barely scratched the surface with getting into the endless Audi and VW electrical problems oil consumption lemons and total engine failures

but prolly better to just do the mercy kill and stop here

the only people that even come close to building bulletproof performance sports cars and sedans are *the JAPS... to some extent, BMW,
and quite possibly – getting close to being worthy of honorable mention: Cadillac (buzzkill/sounds of moaning, uncontrolled laughter, etc).

most of the above problems are ever-present in Volkswagens too...

I can go on with links to more endless Audi and VW electrical problems, oil consumption lemons and total engine failures

(we could spend a day talking about the Gen2 bug).

but prolly better do just do the mercy kill and stop here

I think the Audis, VW's, Porsches, Ferrari's and cars of this ilk often get a pass because of their beauty. not to mention, that with so many of them, the people who own them can afford to repair out of warranty cars... or that cars that are out of warranty somehow don't get included as lemons....

*you wouldn't believe it, but, the GTR ranks just above a lemon in horrid maintenance costs, blown transmissions and endless more unscheduled repairs.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

its interesting that there is so much noise about that oil consumption, because 1 liter/qt per 1000km is the "normal" spec from Porsche for our cars...
Old 09-05-2014, 03:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

not to mention all the 911s....

our oem engine blocks are obviously fantastic...

I have no issues adding Walmart go-go juice, changing filters every handful of k miles and dropping the oil less often....

but I can't envision the typical enhanced San Diego real estate milf doing it.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 PM
V996
Racer

"hey man, when was the last time you saw a Ford pickup dead on the side of the road?"

Fords are not exactly the gold standard for reliability.

I wouldn't say "When was the last time" but rather "How often do you even" because their pickups are fairly good but not bulletproof.

Hilarious post regardless. Your hatred for Euro engines knows no bounds
Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

it's not that I hate them so much as I have MAJOR issues with the koolaid (snotty German engines)
and nearly endless Kool-Aid drinking (cult fanaticism).

the gas saving engines sure live hard..... for me, the point of insanity was passed 15 years ago with the Boxsters and 996s... it's still happening with the latest GT3 fire/deathcar recall. sometimes I wonder.... does Porsche/Audi/VW even test their cars?

if something even remotely bad were to happen with a Corvette, Mustang, Caddy etc, (in the 3rd Millennium), there would be no end to hearing about it from all the snotty Eurocar peoples, like Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

gas is expensive... and the cars are nice.

with the success of the '80s rally cars, I thought big way back when.... but it seems big never happened.

1. unfortunately, VAG engines cost a fortune to build, buy, run, maintain and repair.

still, some grant titles like 'best evaar' to dyno **** engines that perform over very short intervals.

A4, S4, 2.0., 2.4, 80's P-car afterworld, whatever..... people get hurt.

2. ignition, fuel delivery and electrical issues often bordering on the appearance of unresolvable.... *(see this board, daily).

3. where's my catalog so I can get a new DME, computer, NEW engine block, turbo parts etc??

4. where's my 3.5~3.7 litre I-5 crate engine? *oh, GM builds that.

5. where's a Euro 8 cylinder pullout that fits in the engine compartment?

6. where's **430 massive huge and reliable hp for a fair price?

**see 2000's~10's American musclecar engine.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-05-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 PM
V996
Racer

"if something even remotely bad were to happen with a Corvette, Mustang, Caddy etc, (in the 3rd Millennium), there would be no end to hearing about it from all the snotty Eurocar peoples, like Jeremy Clarkson and James May. "

So damn true
Old 09-06-2014, 01:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Last edited by odurandina; 09-06-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

vw doesnt know how to build 4cyl. engine, never did. 944 engine has nothing to do with that fact though.

Quick Reply: LS1 conversion