Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best placement for hood vents?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM
glen2002
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the air would get out the gap near the windshield on mine (not that I know where it does get out) as combined with the fact the windscreen base is a high pressure zone, mine is an Australian delivered car and has a pretty effective rubber seal at the top of the firewall (not sure if US cars are the same). The ventilation inlets are on the other side and I haven't smelt oil etc in the cabin so assume the seal is working. Would assume this is a safety issue. I think extra inlet vents might be premature without more egress venting.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Glen, my builder can punch those vents into your hood like David Floyd's in that link. He's in Brookvale so perhaps that can work for you? Note, my vents were purchased and installed in my hood prior to the car going to Evolution so the vents in my hood aren't what I'm talking about.
https://www.facebook.com/evolutionmotorsport?ref=ts

The whole Aero thing is really as simple or complicated as you want. If you want some venting to assist underhood temps I don’t think they can hurt too much. I certainly used to see a noticeable heat-haze escaping the hood vents after a session on the track. Doesn’t guarantee that it’s working at speed but at that stage with a vented nose panel it probably was. Is your car going to be road only or see some tracktime?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM
glen2002
Racer

Patrick, you have made my day! Was chasing down rod builders all who were just outside Sydney, Brookvale is very convenient for me (I am in Neutral Bay). Actually met one of the guys from Evolution when I was at Buchanan's last week.

The car will be a road car. I actually remember reading your comments re the heat haze. Sean is going to put a Vitesse stage 3 on my car, motons, etc. My car bonnet needs a respray, my thoughts are if I am going respray I may as well vent at the same time, holes wont add weight and the only downside I can see is possible water in the engine compartment. Also like the old style hot rod look of louvres.

My aero should be simple, just suck air out of a standard car, but figured there would be some collective wisdom of where to put these. Aero is one of those things which doesn't always look like it is, I was surprised when you gave your lift and downforce figures from Mr Brilliant the other day, your front looks way more tied down than those figures suggest. Thanks for the information about Evolution.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Ahh, yours is that car. Sean mentioned something about it to me the other day. Will be an awesome improvement and feel like a new car! If you met one of the guys from Evo last week I guess it would be Paul. He's pretty much on his own now as the younger guys have moved onto other things. He's a great fabricator and excellent driver. Great man to have on my side! We were both very surprised about the downforce imbalance too. Working on changing that though.

Look forward to seeing your 'new' car once it's all up and running. :-)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM
glen2002
Racer

Sean already has some of the pieces down there at the moment, so just planning all the the little things which take so long to organise from Aus. The hood vents is one of those things if I was going to spray the bonnet I may as well do. Would always regret if I didn't. Also just wanted to make sure I was putting them in the right spot.

It was Paul I met and really nice guy, perfect guy to be teamed with. I am sure you will get the downforce where you want, everything you guys do seems methodical - even if taken close to the extreme! Just glad you didn't become the first 951 to do a GT1 backflip

Quick Reply: Best placement for hood vents?