Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 I bought from CA and freaked out about is standing tall and for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 951 I bought from CA and freaked out about is standing tall and for sale...

SOLD!!! Congrats Tony.

As some of you may remember from this thread, I made a mistake in rushing into buying my 951 sight-unseen and without commissioning my own PPI... I was pretty hard on the car/myself, and the whole time, my mechanic is telling me "for a car this old, it's really in pretty good shape."

The car's done now and standing tall... Whoever buys it will have a really nice driver that needs nothing. I'd keep it, but as nice as the car is now, every time I get into the it, I'm reminded of the thousands of dollars that I've spent on the car to get it to where it is now. Getting in my other cars brightens my day, but as much as I try to enjoy it, I can't. That, coupled with the fact I have some real estate stuff going on, means she's gotta go.

Details:
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo
138k miles
5-speed
Red/Tan sport leather interior
Carfax available upon request showing 16 service records... CA/TX car.
Car has had roughly $5000 in recent parts/labor to bring it up to my mechanical standards, including:
Complete PPI (clutch/timing belt determined to be fine)
Entirely rebuilt power steering system
Entirely rebuilt A/C system, replaced temp control module, replaced heater/AC motor, blows ice cold
Sunroof repaired
Replaced passenger side ball joint
Replaced all CV boots
Replaced all sway bar bushings, control arm bushings with polyurethane
Alignment
Oil change (correct Brad Penn oil and Mahle filter)
4 nearly new Michelin tires
New OEM 951 front brake rotors and OEM Textar pads
Only modifications to my knowledge are an Autothority Chipset and a high-flow intake. Car runs like a top, has great power and would make a great driver. Cosmetically, the car has obviously been repainted (see Carfax for accident history) but shows well for a 27 year old vehicle. Slight dent in driver's side door where some jerk at the bar leaned on my mirror. Right front framerail, in front of the suspension, has been repaired from a previous accident but I had the vehicle inspected thoroughly by German Auto Center in Austin, TX and they determined the car’s suspension geometry/chassis to be straight as an arrow and unaffected by that repair. Interior is in great shape, with no rips or tears in the leather.

Title is clean and in my name. Texas Classic Car registration and plates are current along with current Texas inspection.

$9500 OBO
Attached Images      

Last edited by baddogz28; 05-19-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

pics cont'd:
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, for your $5000 of labor you got about $200 of parts installed? you got taken.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
FabianS
Pro

Hey, add says 1998 944 Turbo. Might want to revise that to 1989...
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

All in all, I spent $1500 or so on parts... The rest was labor.

Thanks for the positive post though, William. Very constructive.

Appreciate the heads-up Fabian. I'm pretty sure I clicked 1988 but who knows, I was posting this as I was working.

*edit, found that. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Nice car - do you have records for when the timing belt was changed?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like a pretty nice 951!!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:08 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What about price?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Must post a price.

What is "correct Brad Penn oil?"

Looks like a very nice car! After fixing it, why don't you enjoy it for a while?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Sorry about that, cut and pasted from a different ad and I think I accidentally cut it off. Fixed. $9500 OBO. Correct BP oil just means that I don't know what oil was in it before but it's got the proper oil now.

Thanks for the compliments on the car, guys. I'd keep it, but I'm out of space at the house, need the cash for some real estate deals I'm working with my old man, and the main reason: I'm in the car business, and the fact that I'm going to lose a boatload of cash on the car pisses me off... I'm used to making money on cars and as nice as the car is, I'm reminded of it every time I get into the car. Not a good feeling. The next guy is going to get a real nice, sorted 951.

As far as the timing belt goes, the only written evidence I have of its replacement is on the carfax which I have attached below, but that was in 02... I presume it's been changed since, because I made it a point to have the guys at German Auto Center in Austin, where I had all the work done, check the condition of the t-belt and the owner Len told me that it looked great and won't need replacement for a couple years or 30K miles at the soonest.

All in all, the car is a really nice 10-footer, I took it to Cars and Coffee at the Oasis in Austin and it showed really well and got a lot of looks.
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

well, the "pacific Porsche" part explains a lot - I had massive incompetence from them - I had my 993 taken there for a proper alignment and suspension repair as part of an insurance job from a freeway based "length adjustment" - they gave the car back with the nose of the transmission broken off, the cat crushed, an O2 sensor smashed and inop, the parking brake disconnected, and incorrect parts (a roll pin) inside the brakes. I can't be sure 100% of these are Pacific's fault, but for sure the transmission issue was their fault, they should never have released the car in that condition, even back to a body shop, without a written statement. I had it taken to BH Porsche and they found those problems and more and fixed a set of them so the insurance paid twice. I also had some very negative experiences with the sales staff at Pacific - I found them to be, shall we say, a bit more interested in selling than explaining and making a customer happy...... I would never shop there or take a car there. Of course, others may have different results, and this was more than 5 years ago, so all the guilty parties may have moved on by now. Having a dealer do the work is far from cheap, having an incompetent dealer do the work is just a travesty.

I hope the work they did on the car was done better than what they did for me, I hope they used the correct parts, and I hope you feel you got treated fairly.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

I hope so too, obviously that stuff was done before my ownership of the car...

Have a few deals working on the car by now, the next guy is going to get a nice car.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GLWS, hope it goes to a good home
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dino!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a good price and it should sell...Bruce

Quick Reply: 951 I bought from CA and freaked out about is standing tall and for sale...