Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE BONUS GUIDE: Manual Steering Rack Cleaning, Regreasing, and Tensioning

Old 03-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
Also, you probably want to mark the orientation of the IMS joint with the rack. It has splines so you can easily have it off by 1 or two "teeth". I forgot to do it so I just had to line things up without knowing the previous orientation. Trying to think of other things but its a pretty basic / intuitive project. Good luck.

Never tried a plugged power rack, but manual is the way to go for "drivers". I liken the power steering to automatic shifting. It's just another barrier between you and the car. IMHO!
Yes - I have learned to get things centered properly. This will be done correctly.

I understand the last comment fully. This is for a car that will be used for RallyCross. I am looking to simplify things and take out weight - and also cost very little to build. Since I have 2+ parts cars to work with and they are all later cars (w/ P/S), I am stuck with those racks. Not having to deal with the leaks, the belt and all the other crap, is going to be a good thing.

I drove enough events without the belt to know it doesn't make much difference to not have the assist. Maybe a plug with a built-in zerk fitting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: THE BONUS GUIDE: Manual Steering Rack Cleaning, Regreasing, and Tensioning