Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight upgrade completed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:09 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do LEDs require more power, whether higher voltage or current (or both), to start up or turn on than they do once they're on?

Is there any valid reason for someone with an older 944 to be concerned about using these LED bulbs in his car?

I've tried to find the answer to the first question online, and in a quick search I was unable to find any evidence that LEDs need more power to turn on than to run. I don't think they do, but I don't know for sure.

Assuming they do not, I cannot think of any reason for someone with an older 944 to be concerned about using these bulbs in their car. The only potential concern I can imagine is that the wiring isn't up to the task, but since these use less power than standard H6024 bulbs, that concern is unfounded.

Or correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you can pull this off on a 944 without getting sent to the big house?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 PM
JJR512
Instructor

They're DOT legal, if that's what you're asking...

If you're asking about approval by the 944 Police, aka the Purists, then I suspect you might get into some trouble with them...

By the way, odurandina, who is the model in your current avatar?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:33 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJR512
Do LEDs require more power, whether higher voltage or current (or both), to start up or turn on than they do once they're on?

Is there any valid reason for someone with an older 944 to be concerned about using these LED bulbs in his car?

I've tried to find the answer to the first question online, and in a quick search I was unable to find any evidence that LEDs need more power to turn on than to run. I don't think they do, but I don't know for sure.

Assuming they do not, I cannot think of any reason for someone with an older 944 to be concerned about using these bulbs in their car. The only potential concern I can imagine is that the wiring isn't up to the task, but since these use less power than standard H6024 bulbs, that concern is unfounded.

Or correct me if I'm wrong...
LEDs do not require a surge current or voltage during startup. LEDs are more efficient than halogen, so for the same light output LEDs will require less power. LED is one of those rare best-of-all-worlds solutions.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone ever tired the Bi-Xenon HID projector lights in a 944?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
Has anyone ever tired the Bi-Xenon HID projector lights in a 944?

Ditto that question. For very little money you can get these in 2.5" diameter, one lens does both high and low beam, and appears to put out WAY more light for way less juice.

I'm considering using such for fixed, covered headlights on my Turbo, which would save a fair amount of weight and not be aerodynamic speed brakes like the stock popups.

I also wonder if HID lights could be adapted for use in the otherwise blank lenses next to 951/S2 fog lights.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with the bi-xenon projectors is that it's not a true sealed enclosure. You'll need to either seal it up with silicone so water doesn't go in during washing or a downpour (and even that is not a guarantee), or you'll have to cut up the light housing and sealed them into it (back end will still be sticking out). I've seen the projectors fitted and sealed into the housings so it can be done but does take some work.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:03 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dash01
Ditto that question. For very little money you can get these in 2.5" diameter, one lens does both high and low beam, and appears to put out WAY more light for way less juice.

I'm considering using such for fixed, covered headlights on my Turbo, which would save a fair amount of weight and not be aerodynamic speed brakes like the stock popups.

I also wonder if HID lights could be adapted for use in the otherwise blank lenses next to 951/S2 fog lights.
I've been kicking around the same idea.(see pick below. Thanks to Broadfoot Racing. I took the original image off their website and modified it greatly to try out different ideas for placement. I'm trying to decide if the light openings should be round, square, or rectangular and where exactly they should be placed. I want the opening to be as small as possible and blend in as much as possible and look "factory" as much as possible. Everyone feel free to give me suggestions or even photoshopped renderings(I hope Albert will forgive me for unauthorized use of his picture)) The burgandy 944 is the look I am thinking of. Solid header panel with just small cut outs which are filled with a plexiglass cover.

Originally Posted by veleno
The problem with the bi-xenon projectors is that it's not a true sealed enclosure. You'll need to either seal it up with silicone so water doesn't go in during washing or a downpour (and even that is not a guarantee), or you'll have to cut up the light housing and sealed them into it (back end will still be sticking out). I've seen the projectors fitted and sealed into the housings so it can be done but does take some work.
This is one issue I am trying to figure out a solution to.
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2014, 04:31 PM
JJR512
Instructor

I apologize for the OT question here, but in the burgundy 944 pictured above this post, what is the front lip extension? Who makes that?
Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJR512
I apologize for the OT question here, but in the burgundy 944 pictured above this post, what is the front lip extension? Who makes that?
I do not know. The owner of the car was/is on RL but I forgot his user name.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:46 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure it is custom, see here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-part-1-a.html

Also more pics of it here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/leadfoot944/
Old 09-20-2014, 12:40 AM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

Continuing from the 944 Turbo forum here :
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...4-turbo-2.html

A couple of pictures showing the difference in light output between a set of H4's (admittedly with old/pitted lenses...) and a set of KC Hilites 7" round LED headlights. Ignore the mess in the garage...

H4's:

LED's:

Old 09-20-2014, 11:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I saw your note about they stick forward a bit more, do you run the plastic shrouds on the lights?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 PM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

I do yes. The shrouds fit fine, in fact at first glance it looked like a simple plug-n-play exercise and I had one light in place in a few minutes. Only when I tried to lower the headlights to check for clearance (using the manual **** on the motor of course) did I really see the interference with the panel below the headlight housing.

After I saw the light output, I was determined to come-up with a solution to clearance the space, even it was not an elegant one...
Old 09-21-2014, 11:13 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_SC
I do yes. The shrouds fit fine, in fact at first glance it looked like a simple plug-n-play exercise and I had one light in place in a few minutes. Only when I tried to lower the headlights to check for clearance (using the manual **** on the motor of course) did I really see the interference with the panel below the headlight housing.

After I saw the light output, I was determined to come-up with a solution to clearance the space, even it was not an elegant one...

What was the solution exactly? I did notice in some of the original pics the new bulbs jut out more in some pics than in others. Interested to know how you solved this issue.

Quick Reply: LED headlight upgrade completed