Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight upgrade completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind me asking where did you order these from
Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I ordered them through ebay. I picked a store with good shipping options to Canada. It would for sure be cheaper for Americans.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 PM
NC951guy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
These are cool but I'm disappointed that they don't have more output. A set of e codes with 90/130w bulbs likely still out does these. That said I'm interested to see beam shots. Thanks for the heads up on these.
I just installed Hella E-codes and added an HID setup to that. Awesome light output from the xenon's and with the Hellas a super tight beam pattern. Best of both worlds imho.

I like that LED conversion as well, though. Looks cool.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NC951guy
I just installed Hella E-codes and added an HID setup to that. Awesome light output from the xenon's and with the Hellas a super tight beam pattern. Best of both worlds imho.
I would think that the beam pattern is wide as the Hella housings are not projectors. Is this the case? Do you have any pictures you can share?
Old 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

eBay link?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by NC951guy

I like that LED conversion as well, though. Looks cool.
The only perspective HID look good in H4 headlights is from behind them.

Here license plates get confiscated for that kind of setup. HID light must be projected and have automatic self leveling together with headlight washers in order to be legal and not burn eyes of other drivers.

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Those are usually people with drop-in HIDs that just buy the bulbs, and not the projectors. Genius....
this.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So you spent $400 on lights but still use a 2x4 to hold your hood up?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
So you spent $400 on lights but still use a 2x4 to hold your hood up?
It's a 1x4.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

To confirm, the product is this?
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=92025

If it is, I think I'll be another tester for this part. It'll help lower the current draw on my aging electrical system, plus gives me a better lighting option, without aiming the beams directly at oncoming drovers (Hella E-Codes are designed for countries where people drive on the wrong side of the road).
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

:P

Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 PM
glen2002
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fara
To confirm, the product is this?
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=92025

If it is, I think I'll be another tester for this part. It'll help lower the current draw on my aging electrical system, plus gives me a better lighting option, without aiming the beams directly at oncoming drovers (Hella E-Codes are designed for countries where people drive on the wrong side of the road).
Hello Fara, I would assume E codes are already on your 944, they certainly were on both my 86 and 91. The E codes supplied in Australia are definitely RHD and designed as such, Porsche & Hella wouldn't try and pull a fast one The E means they are approved for use in any country in the ECE (approval in one country qualifies for the others) the number following indicates the country of approval (my lights are E1 as you can imagine with Hella being a German company and 1 the code for Germany. Interestingly Australia is 45, I don't know how that works).

The lights supplied on North American 944 and many other US cars of the era were sealed beam, a sealed unit about as strong as a good flashlight! You presently have much better lights. The LED lights in question are possibly better than sealed beams, especially for close flood, but are very unlikely to be better than the present lights on your car, especially for projecting light at a distance. If you are worried about your wiring harness, best thing is to put a relay in and wire to the alternator, using the existing harness to switch the relay. You can either do this yourself or purchase a kit (search Iceshark Kit on this forum). This will reduce your voltage drop and increase the brightness of your existing globes, it would also allow you to upgrade to something like the Hella H4 100/55 instead of your 60/55watt - http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell..._OE/H4_ED3.pdf

Good luck
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by glen2002
<lots of text>
Oh awesome, thanks for the info.
I've been considering doing the extra headlight harness for a while, as I see quite a significant voltage drop when I have my lights (especially high beams) on.

I'll probably get that done as soon as the car is running again
Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was able to order two with the coupon each time myself. Maybe a Prime thing or not but I did and they will be here Tuesday. If anybody wants a good deal on 2 month old Hella eH4s from Renn let me know.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM
NC951guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by veleno
I would think that the beam pattern is wide as the Hella housings are not projectors. Is this the case? Do you have any pictures you can share?
I'll get a picture of them lit against a wall and out on the road as soon as I finish fixing the coolant leak, so you can see the pattern. Despite the naysayers, I'm very happy with it.

These Hellas flare the light up to the right not the left so they are fine in the US and with the heavy horizontal cutoff on the lens' the way they are, there is not any glare towards oncoming traffic. I'm sure many of you have used Hellas before (not their DOT ones), but for those who haven't, there is no comparison between these and any other headlight I've ever used, even with just a halogen bulb in them.

I imagine if you stuck xenon bulbs in a DOT spec halogen light, with their inherently nasty light pattern all ready cut into the lens, they would be just as nasty as before only much brighter and even more annoying.

This setup has equal light output and is better focused (less oncoming glare) than the factory HID's in my Navigator.

Cheers.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Justin, thanks for guinea-pigging

Good to know they work at -10C

Sounded interesting. One thing, since they do not put out much heat, a very thick snow may cover the light (from reading, no personal experience). It would have to be just right conditions

Trying to find more info, led me to this
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...D-sealed-beams

Indicates they are Truck Lite, rebranded to GE
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...2025&langId=-1

This is a different company/product, but one of the few where I could find the lumens
http://www.noldengmbh.de/docs/7_Zoll_Bi-LED_ENG_1.1.pdf

this seller lists the Truck Lite as 1300 lumens
http://www.headlightrevolution.com/7...eam_s/1867.htm

It's been years since I looked at LED headlamps (weren't ready for prime time last I looked) but a few years ago, I bought an LED spot light and was very impressed. I think LED headlamps are finally ready

Quick Reply: LED headlight upgrade completed