Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printing for the 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dope! Figure out a way to use existing holes to mount?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Some short bolts and nuts should work.

Originally Posted by NCLA951
Dope! Figure out a way to use existing holes to mount?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you make a 2.7L head? Those cost a lot!

OK, how about a new key head that does more than hold a dinky light bulb? Maybe it can hold... TWO light bulbs! Or just give it a new shape, like a Fuchs wheel.

Another thing that would be cool is a new enclosure for a USB flash drive that looked like the standard key head. So it looks like I have a Porsche key plugged into my laptop... haha!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Has anyone made a model for the little plastic pieces that screw onto the door cards to hold the lower carpeted section in place? There are two per side, in the shape of little turbochargers, and they come in left and right sides...
Old 02-22-2017, 12:30 AM
KVDR
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Has anyone made a model for the little plastic pieces that screw onto the door cards to hold the lower carpeted section in place? There are two per side, in the shape of little turbochargers, and they come in left and right sides...
I'm taking my door cards off this week to install the Window Express units - I'll see if they're doable.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The shape of the factory version may be unnecessarily complicated, but it should be easy enough to model something that works well... I was just hoping somebody else did it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3D Printing Request: Insert for HVAC Slider ****

The HVAC slider ***** on my 968 are the same (I believe) as 944's (Porsche part number 944-653.205.00). The two in my car look fine, but the plastic tabs on the back are bent, and therefore the ***** do not hold to the shaft very well. Is this an issue that other people have with these parts?

Has anyone in this community considered designing an insert with a slot that could fit into the back of one of these ***** (after the remains of the flimsy tabs were dremeled away), with the goal of making old ***** work again? The insert itself could be completely hidden inside the cup of the ****, so aesthetics of the insert itself would not be an issue. If someone were to make this, I would be the first in line to buy two of them? I would be willing to ship my ***** to someone for measurement and test fitting, if this were to make the end result possible?

Thanks

Nathan
Old 03-16-2017, 01:01 AM
KVDR
Pro

Originally Posted by Nathan J.
The HVAC slider ***** on my 968 are the same (I believe) as 944's (Porsche part number 944-653.205.00). The two in my car look fine, but the plastic tabs on the back are bent, and therefore the ***** do not hold to the shaft very well. Is this an issue that other people have with these parts?

Has anyone in this community considered designing an insert with a slot that could fit into the back of one of these ***** (after the remains of the flimsy tabs were dremeled away), with the goal of making old ***** work again? The insert itself could be completely hidden inside the cup of the ****, so aesthetics of the insert itself would not be an issue. If someone were to make this, I would be the first in line to buy two of them? I would be willing to ship my ***** to someone for measurement and test fitting, if this were to make the end result possible?

Thanks

Nathan
Are you sure your slider '*****' are okay? I don't have mine handy, but I do have the HVAC sitting here and the clear plastic sliders have an indent top and bottom - it appears the slider ***** would lock into these.

New slider ***** are still available.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KVDR,

Yes, the clear plastic sliders that come out of the HVAC panel do have a slight indent in, and the tabs at the back of the **** has a slight indent out to mate to this. I was aware that this particular part number is available for sale as NOS. I am concerned that the flimsy plastic tabs for the NOS parts will be little better than the tabs on my existing *****. The picture below shows one of the ***** with the remaining tab, which I believe is acrylic, and which I know from experience is brittle. If there was an insert to put inside, it would have two major advantages, modern plastic (not many years old acrylic), and could be significantly more material for significantly higher strength, as there was an air-gap between the outside of the tabs and the inside of the black plastic *****. If it was not for the difficulty to make the required slot in a piece of wood, I would fashion the inserts myself out of oak for high strength.

The following users liked this post:
UnorthodoxDailyD (04-09-2020)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact same issue for a very long time. I tried everything to avoid paying $32 a piece for new ones. I tried paper, tape, rubber cement, anything I could rig. Some things held for a while, but the light would not pass through the front. UNTIL...while working on something else I needed to by some small diameter clear hose (from hardware store). I cut a small piece of hose and it fit inside the ****, but slid over the stem tight enough where it won't come off unless I pull it off, no glue just pressure. Last, because the hose is clear, the light passed thru like it was supposed to. What a relief to have that issue resolved after so many years. Maybe one day I'll buy new *****, but if I don't have to....a win for me

I would still like to see how the 3D printing option works out.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I made caps today to keep the intercooler capped off when working on the car -- looks cooler than stuffing paper towels in there. Will post the .stl on thingiverse if anyone wants to make one...

Old 01-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Just a self-serving cross-post to say I'm selling my MakerBot Replicator 5th Gen on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162837905434?ul_noapp=true

It's a good machine with the latest extruder and firmware, and good for 3D printing beginners and non-hackers who are content with PLA plastic prints.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done a few things such as hinges, hvac control ***** etc. Right now printing new hooks and end caps (beefed up) for the retractable trunk cover.

I have uploaded to thingiverse.com for download.

Is there a repository here on Rennlist for cad models that can be printed, I am new here...but if there was I could upload here.
Thanks,
Anders
Old 09-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Made a simple battery isolator today to keep the neg post off the battery while working on the car.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3095182

Old 09-11-2018, 04:39 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 780 Likes on 380 Posts

^ Sweet idea and thanks for sharing on Thinigverse!

Quick Reply: 3D Printing for the 944