Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Has anyone replaced an outer bottom window seal ("scraper")? (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/789482-has-anyone-replaced-an-outer-bottom-window-seal-scraper.html)

Mister Quickie 12-05-2013 12:50 PM

Has anyone replaced an outer bottom window seal ("scraper")?

On the inside there are clips that hold the seal, on the outside there is a skinny black metal brace.

The clips separate fairly easily but the metal brace seems to be holding the old seal securely in place and I'm trying to figure out how to loosen the brace without destroying it.

Can't find any vids online, any ideas on the best way to do this job?

mikec944 12-05-2013 10:11 PM

I believe I know what you are talking about. The metal piece that runs from near the door handle area, to the front window corner where it meets a curved piece, then another metal piece runs along the front to the top of window. Is this correct?

I replaced these pieces earlier this year. Installing the rubber scraper was quite a pain. From what I recall, the rubber is to be pulled out before the metal piece. Perhaps you can lift the end up and slide the rest of the rubber out of the channel.

To answer your specific question though, removing the metal trim is done by opening the door and pulling away some of the door gasket near the trim area. There will be a very small folded piece of metal that is part of the trim. Lift this up and pull trim from the outside of car. That is probably what is keeping you from getting trim loose. You should be able to lift and/or slide trim off. This is a very flimsy piece of aluminum trim that is easily bent. Be careful when removing.

You may want to look into replacing the trim if you are taking it off. If it's on there as tight as my car's trim was, it will get bent. The slightest bend will cause fitment issues when reinstalling.

When installing the new rubber scraper, BE VERY PATIENT! It is no fun. I used a thin piece of wood wrapped in a towel and slowly moved along trim hammering lightly on the wood. Also, I recommend new clips.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

william_b_noble 12-06-2013 01:01 AM

I know I removed these when painting a car, but I don't remember how, it was not hard though, that I remember.

V2Rocket 12-06-2013 01:16 AM

If you can figure out how to make the new seal stay put, please share.

I tried replacing mine a while ago, even with new clips in the door, and made sure it was seated well.

After a few times of cycling the windows up/down the driver side seal popped out again. Tried to re-install it, kept popping out.

I've not had a driver window scraper in 3 years.

mikec944 12-07-2013 11:05 PM

When I get a chance in the next few days, I can take a picture of where I lightly hammered on a wood block on the scraper to get mine installed. There is a lot of manipulating of the scraper to get it to reach the clips and fit in the aluminum trim channel at the same time. I used spray lube for the channel also. I'd say each side took about 2 to 2.5 hours just for the scraper and 1 more hour for the rest of the window channeling to be near perfect.

I had new clips, new scrapers, and new trim pieces. The window and inside door paneling was out of the car as well. Again, I'll post a picture of how I used the wood block. The wood block and patience is key.

Mister Quickie 12-11-2013 11:47 PM

just to make sure everyone's talking about the same thing I attached a couple pics.

Right now my concern is less about hammering the new scraper/seal in and moreso how to "safely" get the old one out

notice there's also a separate strip in the corner near the mirror

supes6 12-12-2013 06:43 AM

Once you have the clips out, you should be able to pull the rubber scraper out of the aluminum trim piece. Then you need a plastic pry bar to remove the trim piece. For me, the hard part was getting the new seal in. The new seal seemed to have way too much thickness on the tab that gets wedged into the trim piece.. I ended up trimming it with a dremel so that it would fit.

Mister Quickie 12-12-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by supes6 (Post 10971541)
Once you have the clips out, you should be able to pull the rubber scraper out of the aluminum trim piece.

So I just loosen all the clips simultaneously and the scraper just pulls out of the trim piece?

mikec944 12-12-2013 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For removal concerning the clips…I would have the door panel removed, slide a putty knife into one clip at a time, and lift the scraper up slightly out of that particular clip, then move onto the next clip. Or if you are replacing the clips (they are available and cheap from Porsche), just go ahead and bend the bastards first.

For installation, here is some info with a pic of what worked for me. One small section at a time, I would spray some lube into the trim panel. Use a putty knife between the scraper and clip so the scraper could slide in without having to bend the clip outwards. This allows clip to keep its spring tension. Use a small piece of wood wrapped in cloth and use a rubber mallet or plastic tip hammer to tap down rubber into trim piece and clip. Getting it into the trim piece is the main part but obviously the clip must help hold it down. Continue down the trim piece, spraying lube and tapping down the scraper. When I installed my scrapers, I moved the block of wood about 1 centimeter at a time making sure it was going in. Take your time. You'll get it.

Mister Quickie 12-21-2013 08:29 PM

ok I finally got around to doing this and it wasn't a difficult job at all.

What was concerning me was the firm hold that was on the scraper in the first place. I think that may have been due to age more than anything.

All I really needed to do was tug at it and it comfortably came out of the clips and the metallic piece.

The part has a metallic strip that is an upside down "U" embedded on the inside along the length. That upside down "U" hooks into a channel along the door.

That channel is surrounded by the clips on the inside and the metal strip on the outside.

I started on the side with the mirror (as opposed to the side with the door handle) and shoved it all the way to the corner then started using straight arm-palm pressure to go along the length. Towards the end it took a little finesse to get the scraper to line up in the last two clips since a part of the rolled down window remained slightly above the opening but eventually I got the in as well.

Didn't even need the hammer or the board, just proper alignment and firm pressure.

mikec944 12-21-2013 09:03 PM

Glad to hear you got it! :thumbup:

On my 951, replacing the trim and the scraper, it was a huge pain. On my n/a, just replacing the scraper, I had no problem at all.

porsche_dreamer 12-21-2013 11:55 PM

Where are you guys purchasing you're scrapers at?

Wraith1027 12-22-2013 08:18 AM

I'm having the same issue with my driver side door. Guess I'll be ordering new clips. Thanks to all for the tips!

Mister Quickie 12-23-2013 11:26 AM

I got mine from the dealer at $57 only because I wanted to verbally ensure I got the right part since there are several seals in that area. For most other parts, eBay or online stores

GlenS2 01-11-2015 08:11 AM

Scraper seal replacement

Hi

Sorry for posting on an old thread, just replaced these door seals and the information was very helpful. I have a problem though with my drivers side door. The seal went in ok, but the window slipped out of the regulator. I was able to put the rail back on the little plastic rollers, but having trouble getting the window to seat properly on the regulator rail and its rubber strip..the window goes up, but when going down it loses contact with the regulator and stays up. Anyone have this issue before and any suggestions on a fix?