Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone replaced an outer bottom window seal ("scraper")?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:49 AM
Kevin Elliott
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thx for the tips on this - just replaced both scrapers using the wood and mallet method and its worked well. I used some coconut oil on the bottom to help ease them in and took about 30 mins per side. I also took off the top of the door panels inside which helps and repaired them with some P40 as they seem to get brittle and crumbly with age and the window switch panels tend to drop down as the screw fixings break up.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:01 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

After my car came back from the body shop (total repaint) several things both electrical and door latch/locking issues had to be dealt with. On the latch matter, I used my key to lock the car when returning from a shop to have the a/c converted over to R134. Then I couldn't get back in and had to enter from the rear hatch. After removing the drivers side window scraper trim to get a tool in to release the latch, I couldn't get the scraper to reinstall. After getting a new one, complete with CLIPS I realized I was dealing with something different altogether. The parts diagram online don't show clips and I can't find any pictures of them anywhere. Until and after I've solved the latch issues, I'm reluctant to try to install the new scraper until someone can help me with pictures and/or diagrams that will help me understand this in detail. My thanks in advance for anyone's help.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:19 PM
Flinched
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I also replaced the inner window channel seal at the same time. This is the piece that receives and seals the glass when it’s up. It includes the wide rubber seal on the outside door verticle. Used OEM parts to insure the best possible fit and I had the door panel off for easier access. The inner seal fits on top of the scraper at the leading and trailing edges of the door frame and must be pulled out at each end so as to properly fit the scraper. I used KY lube to fit the window channel (don’t laugh it works really well and if you get tired and frustrated and say f**k it, well you’re all set). I used light taps with a smallish rubber mallet to set the scraper.

The scraper is secured 2 ways - a tight fit over the door ridge and the small silver tabs with teeth on the inside of the door. Starting at one end, I opened up the tabs a bit to release the pressure while prying upward on the scraper with a plastic trim tool. Once you get it started the rest comes out easily. I had new tabs but reused the existing ones as they were in good shape and it looks like the glass has to come out to replace them. Once the scraper was in place I lightly tapped on the bottoms of the clips with a punch to create tension. The right way to do it would have been to use new clips but so far my scraper remains tightly secured.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:27 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Food for thought but I still don't have a clue about the clips, how they're connected to the door or the scraper.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Anthony n
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott
Many thx for the tips on this - just replaced both scrapers using the wood and mallet method and its worked well. I used some coconut oil on the bottom to help ease them in and took about 30 mins per side. I also took off the top of the door panels inside which helps and repaired them with some P40 as they seem to get brittle and crumbly with age and the window switch panels tend to drop down as the screw fixings break up.

Where did you buy them from ?

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced an outer bottom window seal ("scraper")?