Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI for those who think they might have lifter ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FYI for those who think they might have lifter ticking noise

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience and hopefully it can help others. For about 1.5 now I thought for sure my lifters were started to make the infamous ticking noise due to lack of being driven (could have sworn that's where the noise sounded like it was coming from). So I went with thicker oil, and still the same ticking noise when first starting up while engine was cold (went away or less pronounced when warmed up). Anyways, fast forward to last week, I dropped off the car at local Porsche dealer to do rollers/water pump/tbelt/balance shaft belt/drive belt/t-stat. Sure enough no more ticking noise ever again! So must have been a roller or something causing the issue. BTW, my car was all original with 72k miles.

Hope this can help others also.

-Dino
Old 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dino V
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience and hopefully it can help others. For about 1.5 now I thought for sure my lifters were started to make the infamous ticking noise due to lack of being driven (could have sworn that's where the noise sounded like it was coming from). So I went with thicker oil, and still the same ticking noise when first starting up while engine was cold (went away or less pronounced when warmed up). Anyways, fast forward to last week, I dropped off the car at local Porsche dealer to do rollers/water pump/tbelt/balance shaft belt/drive belt/t-stat. Sure enough no more ticking noise ever again! So must have been a roller or something causing the issue. BTW, my car was all original with 72k miles.

Hope this can help others also.

-Dino
I think a loose balance belt is what causes the ticking. I have it too and just haven't gotten around to tightening it yet. I think the belt ends up slapping the idler pulley is there is too much slack.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konakat
I think a loose balance belt is what causes the ticking. I have it too and just haven't gotten around to tightening it yet. I think the belt ends up slapping the idler pulley is there is too much slack.
I think you may be right as I remember the BS belt being loose.

Quick Reply: FYI for those who think they might have lifter ticking noise