Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to DC/VA/MD, what do I need to know about inspection & emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving to DC/VA/MD, what do I need to know about inspection & emissions?

Looks like I'll be moving to the Metro DC area in the upcoming months. Most likely in MD, but possibly VA or DC proper. What do I need to know about getting my 951 to pass inspection in these states? How strict are they, will I be failed if I have a burned out tail light bulb? How does emissions testing work, do they just do a visual inspection, or do they actually still test for emission gasses?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're moving to MD I can be of some help. Inspection and emissions testing are done separate. Inspection is done at "authorized" shops and it is VERY strict, however it only needs to be done once.

This shows what they check/test, and yes they will fail you for a worn suspension component.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MV.../58000-01T.htm

Emissions is run by the state and is done every 2 years. When I lived there over 3 years ago they used to run your car on a dyno and use a tailpipe sniffer. Now I think you just need to pass the sniffer at idle, and possibly holding the rpms at like 2500. For me it was always hit and miss if they did a visual inspection.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/MVA-Prog...P/veipinfo.htm
Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In MD, 20 years old qualifies for "Historic" tags. Technically, requires that car only be driven periodically, to events and such. But have heard of one "Historic" daily driver who was stopped by an overly ambitious cop. But most of the time, nobody notices/cares. Historic tags mean reduced initial inspection requirement, and no more emissions testing. I believe VA has something similar. AFAIK, DC is not as accommodating.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
If you're moving to MD I can be of some help. Inspection and emissions testing are done separate. Inspection is done at "authorized" shops and it is VERY strict, however it only needs to be done once.

This shows what they check/test, and yes they will fail you for a worn suspension component.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MV.../58000-01T.htm

Emissions is run by the state and is done every 2 years. When I lived there over 3 years ago they used to run your car on a dyno and use a tailpipe sniffer. Now I think you just need to pass the sniffer at idle, and possibly holding the rpms at like 2500. For me it was always hit and miss if they did a visual inspection.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/MVA-Prog...P/veipinfo.htm
Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't find those links when I looked, they were very helpful.

Originally Posted by aj986s
In MD, 20 years old qualifies for "Historic" tags. Technically, requires that car only be driven periodically, to events and such. But have heard of one "Historic" daily driver who was stopped by an overly ambitious cop. But most of the time, nobody notices/cares. Historic tags mean reduced initial inspection requirement, and no more emissions testing.
I'm definitely going to try to get historic tags for my 951 & M3. My M3 is basically stock, but the 951 is modded. According to the MD MVA website, historical cars "must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design." Do you have any idea if anyone actually checks this? Are any of your cars registered as historic?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

In VA, the car has to be 25 years old to qualify as an antique car. Unfortunately, you can only drive it too/from events and for repairs and if they catch you then they'll pull the car's registration for five years. I don't know how serious they are about catching people but I prefer not to take the risk. That said, even if it isn't registered as an antique it is still emissions exempt and they don't check that anymore. Personally, since I drive my 944 regularily and the inspections aren't all that difficult, I just take my exemption and run.

BB.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Go historic in MD. I have 3 cars and 2 bikes registered as such and take great delight in screwing the State where possible
Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Go historic in MD. I have 3 cars and 2 bikes registered as such and take great delight in screwing the State where possible
Your 944s are registered as historic, with no hassle and no problems? Do they need to be emissions tested?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Epic2112

Your 944s are registered as historic, with no hassle and no problems? Do they need to be emissions tested?
I just registered historic in md. When they say substantially altered, they are talking about rat rods and rebodies, not performance mods. There is no safety inspection or emissions testing ever for historic vehicles. There is vague language about limited usage, but no mileage cap. If you ever get stopped, just say you just did some work and were testing it out. Lots of people go historic to avoid fees and get cheaper insurance here. Vehicle registration may be the most lightly regulated thing in this whole state, oddly enough.

And md traffic isn't as bad as Virginia, MD or dc is the way to go unless you will have a very short commute or can live near a metro stop. Feel free to pm me any questions you have about the area.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 AM
deryck324
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Md historic is the way to go . 2 of my 3 cars have historic plates and ive never been hassled ,
im also running open downpipe on my turbo car
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM
deryck324
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at a show in damascus md and have worked on alot of euro cars so if you ever need anything swing on in .. the shop is called revv
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic2112
.......I'm definitely going to try to get historic tags for my 951 & M3. My M3 is basically stock, but the 951 is modded. According to the MD MVA website, historical cars "must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design." Do you have any idea if anyone actually checks this? Are any of your cars registered as historic?
I currently have my '89 944S2 registered with Historic tags. But only use it periodically, so no worries about getting caught as daily driver. Used to also have a '85.5 944 with Historic tags, but sold it earlier this year.

My understanding with Historic tags is that your car is not even required to have a Safety Inspection Certificate for registration. Both of mine were already registered in MD before I converted them to Historic tags, to eliminate Emissions Testing. If the car otherwise looks stock, and the mods are only motor/exhaust tweaks, I doubt anyone would notice. There's also a Tag category for "Street Rod" which allows substantial mods, but requires the car to be 25 years old.

Here's Marland MVA "Registration - Special Use Vehicles" website:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MV.../27300-28T.htm

I'm not 100% certain that vehicle inspection isn't required, but when you compare the "registration application documents include" to non-special use vehicles, it seems to exclude the Safety Inspection Certificate.
Here's the link for regular vehicle registration:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-...ation-info.htm
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the 944 tagged as historic; they never even looked at the car. Just fill out the propper paperwork and sit at the MVA.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Md doesn't care about historic tags.

No inspection or emissions.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Kevin,
Both our 86 951 and 92 968 are registered in MD with historic tags. The 951 was registered initially as a historic vehicle when we moved there and NEVER received either a Safety or Emissions inspection. It's also fairly heavily modified from stock, visually it doesn't look like a regular 951 at all. It's been 3+ years and I've never been hassled for having historic plates. I also don't run a front plate and haven't been pulled over for it either. If I do, I'd pay the ticket before I'd run a front plate.

On the 968, it was conventionally registered until it reached the 20 y/o threshold. If for no other reason, it is significantly cheaper to have a vehicle registered as historic over a conventional registration. Further, you'll see quite a few vehicles in MD that are historic registered even though they're only a Honda Civic. The state puts in essentially Zero effort into determining if a vehicle should be historic.

Shoot me a PM when you get down here if you'd like to get together with some local 951/S2/968 owners.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:25 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

MD cops essentially only pull over speeders and riced/stanced cars. They seem oblivious to all other offenses.

Quick Reply: Moving to DC/VA/MD, what do I need to know about inspection & emissions?