Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Water Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have one of these SPA dual temp gauges for sale. Anyone want it?

Rich
Old 01-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting to the stock temperature sensor is a PITA especially doing it every few months when the Autometer gauge breaks down.
The Mishimoto hose-adapter is a good idea but rather than cutting the hose, have fluid flying everywhere, and refilling and bleeding out the air, why not use the existing bleeder screw?
So now the question becomes, is there an existing temperature gauge that plugs into the 944T bleeder bolt socket? (The bleeder bolt socket is 8M-1.00)
If not, is there an adapter that plugs into the bleeder bolt socket that will accommodate a temperature gauge?
If not, is there a method that someone has thought of to make this happen?

Last edited by Mister Quickie; 01-14-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a radiator hose adapter where the red arrows are. This is running to an AEM gauge.
Someone told me, depending on location of the adapter, that the temperature would be off a few degrees from the actual engine temperature.
So, given my location, would the meter temperature read higher or lower than the actual engine temperature and what is the best guesstimate as to roughly how many degrees?
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 AM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently added an autometer water temp gauge to our 944 race car. Before doing so, I looked all over the place trying to find the existing thread in the block. Everything I found posted was either unclear or turned out to be wrong, so I am posting this here in the event it may help someone in the future.

The autometer gauge I bought (and I suspect most others) came with a 1/8" NPT sensor. There are a lot of references to the coolant sensor threads in the block being M14x1.5, and the thread does appear pretty close to that, but its not. Its 1/4" NPT. Crazy on a metric, german car, but it is. All you need is a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT adapter from any hardware store.

I never took any photos of the sensor in the block, but I assure you it is the correct fit. That is, unless someone prior to me re-tapped my block without me knowing, which is possible as this engine did not have a stock sensor in it when I got it. If thats the case, I apologize for the misinformation.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Water Temp Gauge