Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATE SuperBlue Illegal for USA Market - Continental Pulls From Distribution

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:53 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATE SuperBlue Illegal for USA Market - Continental Pulls From Distribution

It's all here
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoostBuggy
It's all here
Good info..
I started to type a response regarding Gov't over-reach but the NSA keeps deleting it..

Better to have a universal light amber color for those who might mistakenly try Dexron in their brake lines. I wonder if ATE's gold to blue bleeding clarity can be offered in some other way..

Does 2 year old non-moisture-laden fluid look that much darker than new amber fluid?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Being a "P car" guy rathere than a BMW guy I was surprised to learn last night (from a BMW friend) the BMW factory coolant is blue in color. you certainly wouldn't want to mix brake fluid and coolant!

While it's doubtful there is even such thing as "2 yr old non-moisture-laden fluid" (all brake fluid would have had some moisture uptake in 2 yrs) the more important item is the breakdown of the additive package. I have yet to see a brake fluid that had a shelf life (yes, even with an unbroken seal/bottle) of longer than 2 yrs. Whether the fluid has become darker or not is not so much the question as the robustness (or lack thereof) of the "reserve alkalinity" would be a better question. The additive package is what inhibits corrosion and buffers against the fluid going acidic. I certainly don't want acidic fluid running through my metal master cylinder, lines and calipers.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

BMW and Mercedes use Castrol NF antifreeze. It indeed is blue, but so is Gatorade. They should ban gatorade too, somebody could use it instead of coolant, or brake fluid.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I cant help but dislike this.

If you cant distinguish the difference in brake fluid, radiator fluid, or ATF, or motor oil then take your car to someone who can . Or you can learn to read and see what goes where.

What happens if they just pour tap water in. Who is going to stop that ?

All razor blades should be red. They could be harmful if swallowed with chips and Mexican hot sauce. No they should be pink. But they could be mistaken as panties.

This is nuts. Sure they have to do it because it is the law. But it is still nuts.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Ridiculous! I use Brad Penn green oil and pink Dextron coolant so I better watch out as they will be federalized next.

It wasn't long ago that the government decided voters couldn't be black.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:36 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Nothing on Continental's official press releases..

Continental Corporation - Press Releases

Any chance the Torque Racing Brake Fluid website has been punked?

Although the Ate site has a 404 Error:

http://www.ate-brakes.com/generator/...fluids_en.html
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow if this is true. As foreigner living in the US currently I must say this country always caters to the lowest common denominator. I remember a few months after arriving in the US years back I saw a flashlight which was labeled 'not for ingestion' on the package. I'm guessing someone swallowed one once and started a lawsuit.

It's unfortunate. This is such a great country with some of the greatest minds yet is always looking out for the biggest retard.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Time to move out of old tech to better tech. Try some Motul 600 or 660, or some Castrol SRF and never look back. As far as color, I find it easy to distinguish new from old when bled into a white cup. Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by s14kev
I'm guessing someone swallowed one once and started a lawsuit. It's unfortunate. This is such a great country with some of the greatest minds yet is always looking out for the biggest retard.
Spilled my Friday beer laughing..
Good on ya mate!
Love this forum..
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a hoax honestly.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by s14kev
Wow if this is true. As foreigner living in the US currently I must say this country always caters to the lowest common denominator. I remember a few months after arriving in the US years back I saw a flashlight which was labeled 'not for ingestion' on the package. I'm guessing someone swallowed one once and started a lawsuit.

It's unfortunate. This is such a great country with some of the greatest minds yet is always looking out for the biggest retard.
Absolutely could not have said it better myself. Even if this is a hoax, I could totally see something similar happening.

Lets hope it blows over... I was just about to put the baby brembos on with some fresh super blue.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Chris__B
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Arominus
I think it's a hoax honestly.
It's not a hoax. The standard (FMVSS 116) has been in effect for over 40 years. How it took Continental/Ate 15 years to notice their fluid was not legal is puzzling, but that's what happened. It would appear their lawyers figured out they don't want to be exposed to any liability if something bad happened and got blamed on the dye.

These things are in place to reduce the chance of using the wrong fill for all types of fluids, mainly for military service people in remote areas. Regardless, all players in the industry know what the rules are. Good thing there are many, many better fluid choices anyway.

Chris
Old 08-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Gawernator
Racer

Already pulled from Amazon.. tire Rack.. etc
Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris__B
It's not a hoax. The standard (FMVSS 116) has been in effect for over 40 years. How it took Continental/Ate 15 years to notice their fluid was not legal is puzzling, but that's what happened. It would appear their lawyers figured out they don't want to be exposed to any liability if something bad happened and got blamed on the dye.

These things are in place to reduce the chance of using the wrong fill for all types of fluids, mainly for military service people in remote areas. Regardless, all players in the industry know what the rules are. Good thing there are many, many better fluid choices anyway.

Chris
Hi Chris and Wilkommen to the Forum..
Nice first post..
You in the repair business or armed forces?
Cheers

Quick Reply: ATE SuperBlue Illegal for USA Market - Continental Pulls From Distribution