Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new clutch…

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Almost two and a half months and it is just starting to go back together. The new clutch plate is in, pressure plate and bellhousing on. I replaced the crank seal, throw-out bearing, clutch fork bearings and pin and both sensors.
This week I hope to get a buddy to come over and help putting the torque tube back in place... meanwhile I will get ready to put the input manifold back on after a good cleanup under there (lots of maple tree seed pods).

When this is all over I would like to pull together several of the threads and how-to-does from here and other forums, perhaps starting with that on Clark's Garage. Despite having referred to multiple sources there were several steps that were obscure, or lack alternative plans to pursue after the initial "unscrew the bolts and remove part XXXX..." didn't work. Likewise for "reinstall part XXXX..." or the famous "assembly is the opposite of removal..."! I have a few new suggestions and when I get started I will ask for yours.

Part of this would be on reference sensor removal, which was the biggest consumer of time and effort in the whole operation so far. I would like to do Plan A, B, C etc. with suggestions on when to give up on the current one and move on. You guys gave several suggestions with links and links to links, but it would be nice IMHO to have all the separate experiences brought together in one place.

The only major work done on my car before I got it was a head rebuild 10 years ago, so I realised that my sensors, for example, that had only been installed for 11 years when the Clark's Garage instructions were written (circa 1998) had had another 15 years to become attached to their bracket, so more extreme measures are necessary in some instances as our cars get older.

Meanwhile... looks like I will be buying a '78 928 Euro tomorrow, which will demand some attention, but I hope not too much, over the next weeks...

Last edited by elgy; 09-29-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: readability
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Mueller944s2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
Part of this would be on reference sensor removal, which was the biggest consumer of time and effort in the whole operation so far.
What all did this require? I just unbolted the thing, did the clutch, and bolted it back in place. Never had an issue
Old 09-29-2013, 12:18 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by elgy
Almost two and a half months and it is just starting to go back together. The new clutch plate is in, pressure plate and bellhousing on. I replaced the crank seal, throw-out bearing, clutch fork bearings and pin and both sensors.
This week I hope to get a buddy to come over and help putting the torque tube back in place... meanwhile I will get ready to put the input manifold back on after a good cleanup under there (lots of maple tree seed pods).

When this is all over I would like to pull together several of the threads and how-to-does from here and other forums, perhaps starting with that on Clark's Garage. Despite having referred to multiple sources there were several steps that were obscure, or lack alternative plans to pursue after the initial "unscrew the bolts and remove part XXXX..." didn't work. Likewise for "reinstall part XXXX..." or the famous "assembly is the opposite of removal..."! I have a few new suggestions and when I get started I will ask for yours.

Part of this would be on reference sensor removal, which was the biggest consumer of time and effort in the whole operation so far. I would like to do Plan A, B, C etc. with suggestions on when to give up on the current one and move on. You guys gave several suggestions with links and links to links, but it would be nice IMHO to have all the separate experiences brought together in one place.

The only major work done on my car before I got it was a head rebuild 10 years ago, so I realised that my sensors, for example, that had only been installed for 11 years when the Clark's Garage instructions were written (circa 1998) had had another 15 years to become attached to their bracket, so more extreme measures are necessary in some instances as our cars get older.

Meanwhile... looks like I will be buying a '78 928 Euro tomorrow, which will demand some attention, but I hope not too much, over the next weeks...
Originally Posted by Mueller944s2
What all did this require? I just unbolted the thing, did the clutch, and bolted it back in place. Never had an issue
They often get stuck. They can be a sincere pain in the butt if they do. Primarily because they can snap off and be a headache to get out. Sometimes being patient and using some pb or penetrating oil and then slowly working them out is necessary. If one wants to prevent them sticking, clean the surfaces off best you can before installing them so the next lucky person doesn't deal with the same.

Others come out like butter.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mueller944s2
No way my sensors were coming out. I finally took the bracket off after removing one screw and sawing the head off the other one. With the bracket off I ended up using a wooden dowel to hammer the sensors out. On one the wire broke off from all the wiggling back and forth. Both have been replaced.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Dave Rojas
8th Gear

Default new clutch

Hello..

yes its that time for a new clutch on my 996 have any ideas on what to buy stock or aftermarket
Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Rojas
Hello..

yes its that time for a new clutch on my 996 have any ideas on what to buy stock or aftermarket
Hi Dave and Welcome...
Try posting 996 questions here instead:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/

Good luck and tell everyone when your IMS Bearing was done?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:32 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Default The beast lives...

This last week I got my rebuilt fuel tank installed, then the transmission and the final electrical and fuel connections to see if it runs... I have been dreading that I messed something up taking it apart or putting it back together. Also since I took the intake manifold off I was worried about fuel leaks from the hoses or injectors.
First some gas in the tank (drum roll) no leaks! Connected the battery and turned on the ignition... still no leaks. Cranked the engine a few seconds... all looks good. Cranked a bit more and it started right up!
I let it run a minute and checked for leaks and didn't see anything and it seemed to be running OK.
Unfortunately when I turned it off I found that there was a lot of gas around the number 4 injector... so I will have to change the injector O rings.
Looking around on the internet it seems that the O ring kit (P/N 944-110-901-00) is the same as bosch P/N 1287010704 which is used on all sorts of VWs including all the mid to late 1990s 2.0L Golfs. Has anyone else bought these kits from VW or elsewhere? I don't want to wait a week to get parts shipped from the US if I can get them locally. I will try VW tomorrow and see what I find... if worse comes to worse the Porsche dealer is just across the road and maybe I'll impress them by arriving in my 928... or not.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Dave Rojas
8th Gear

thanks virginaf1 from a noob...... lol
Old 05-17-2014, 06:09 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

So I see my previous update was last November when I was looking for injector o-ring kits, ended up using Volvo parts but still had one leaking... then winter hit and stayed on and on...
When it was finally warm enough to work in the (unheated) garage I finally got the injector leak solved.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...lp-please.html
... then yesterday the 924S came out of the garage and the 928 went in. Today I finally took it for a test drive (not too far, just in case) and everything seems to work. The clutch feels great, the car is finally fun to drive what with new belts, new motor mounts, new clutch, repaired gas tank and of course my home made shifter boot that I am rather proud of. I bought some vinyl and copied the shape of the old torn boot then sewed it up on my sewing machine... it fit first try.
Attached Images  

Last edited by elgy; 10-12-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elgy, congrats! I think I'm just going to bite the bullet, finish clearing out my garage & just get the repairs on my car over with...

Quick Reply: Time for a new clutch…