Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 944 Turbo S, vs '90- differences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
BobSantos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Dave,

I wonder if my car was originally a little less because it was sold out of Billings Montana? Seems like an odd place for a P-car to get a start in life. Then again, I understand the other colors for the Turbo S (in 88) were produced after the Silver Roses were, so maybe it was just a factor of normal inflation/exchange rate changes over time, even within the model year.

As far as the Reno option is concerned, yes the Silver Rose package included the multi-speaker ("hi-fi" as the window sticker puts it) system, but Blaupunkt had separate head units which could be selected. If you'll look around you'll find they name their head units after cities (Toronto, Montreal, etc..). Maybe Reno offered something the standard did not.

Divil, maybe a reconditioned interior was necessary? Maybe also the PO himself didn't do it? The reference to the sport chasis was the M030, as noted, but there were also stiffening members added to the frame - I'm not sure if '89's had these, although they probably did. The easiest ones to see are the triangular braces ahead of the front wheel wells in the engine bay above the frame. The S also got thicker sway bars, once again, I don't know if the '89 also had these.

Taymar you never posted your sticker. Any other pics? Did you ever get the car or still shopping?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Reno was the standard blaupunkt cassette player at that time. There was a CD player option, but don't recall the name of it offhand.

Split rear seats are exactly that - instead of the seat back being one large piece, they were two pieces, so either seat back could be folded down separately. This was not commonly seen on 89Ts.

Protective side molding is the rub strips on the doors.

The early 89Ts were all decked out. Late in production, they did start dropping things like the headlight washers (seems common for late MY 89Ts to not have these). Didn't know about the rear wiper also being excluded.

The 89Ts did have the additional bracing on the front frame rails. These braces were first designed and used on the 87 Turbo Cups.

89Ts did have the 26.8mm front swaybar. They initially had the 18mm swaybar (same as the Turbo S), but changed to the 16mm rear bar maybe around late summer of '88 production.

I've had two 89Ts and they were equipped identical, other than the rear sway bar. VIN #144 (June '88 build) had the 18mm bar, VIN #503 (Sep '88 build) came with the 16mm bar. Both had full power, partial leather seats, headlight washers, rear wipers, 1 piece rear seat back, and all the Turbo S/M758 performance upgrades as standard equipment. They had forged con. rods (I have seen later production M52 engines w/ cast rods). The only paid option was metallic paint.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Model year 1989-91 951's are not totally same compared to the "real" item, a 1988 Turbo S. 1989 is quite similar, but was available also with different interior and some other features. I suppose the most important missing item from 1989-91 engines are the con rods. 1988 Turbo S used forged proper rods, when most later engines can have what ever was available. I have two 1989 MY 951 "S" engines in my garage (both engines were bought from Scotland) both with "moped" rods which can be found from all n/a 944 engines. There are a lot of differences between these 951 models. I have had possibility to check out different cars from different market areas. I have a US spec 220hp version, my son's project 951 was originally sold in Switzerland, my neighbor have a Silver Rose sold originally in Japan etc. etc. So what is correct in one market area, it's not necessarily the same issue somewhere else. Porsche offered different kind of sound systems as well. Mostly Blaupunkts, but for example in UK market they used Pioneer or Panasonic (iirc). Mainland europe and in the USA mostly Blaupunkts were offered, with different kind of speaker setups. Also different kind of amp/equalizers were available. First Blaupunkt BEA80 and later BEA100. These units were made for Blaupunkt in Japan, most likely by Alpine. I mangaed to get three BEA80's, one of them i have totally restored with help of my father in law, who managed to fix one lost channel. Now all four of them works fine. In europe these old Blaupunkts have become quite expensive, you must pay more what you pay a decent new player.
One of my BEA80's

Old 07-07-2013, 05:33 PM
BobSantos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, doing an oil change I checked the block and am very happy with this discovery:

M44/52
47J00328

The serial number range for the 1988 Turbo S engines was 47J00001 - 47J01830
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't dug deep enough to verify this, but I have been told that Turbo S exhaust valves had a slightly larger valve stem, and that it now superceeds the older valve.

Anyone have any way to see if there are two part numbers for Turbo valves?

Quick Reply: '88 944 Turbo S, vs '90- differences?