Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal spring help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default clutch pedal spring help

So I was looking at the clutch power spring at the back end of the clutch pedal and noticed there was nothing holding/locking the rod to the bracket. Is there a pin or something that's suppose to lock it to the metal bracket? This could be the reason my pedal stays on the floor when depressed.

I looked at the diagram both in the PET and Clark's Garage and neither picture shows anything holding the rod to the bracket.

The spring/rod I'm referring to is #16 in the diagram below.

Any help is appreciated, and if you have a picture to share that would be great too.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was no pin in mine. If it stays on the floor there is air in the line.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just experienced this. I did a new master cylinder, rebuilt the slave, replaced the blue line and completely flushed and cleaned they system. Outside of bleeding, it is an easy job
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

I too just did a new clutch master, new slave, new blue hose, and new hard line. I bled the system with new fluid and got the air out but the pedal still stays down in first gear and reverse. Actually, it'll pop out after a couple of seconds but trying to shift when it pops back makes the car jerk and I never know when it's going to return back up!

Any ideas why it's doing this? Shifting from 2nd - 5th is fine, just 1st and reverse the pedal stays down...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Don't mess with the spring, problem is you still have air trapped in the system and need to bleed the system again.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Don't mess with the spring, problem is you still have air trapped in the system and need to bleed the system again.
You think so? I guess I can bleed it again.

However, I think it's kind of weird how there's a hole at the end of the rod and nothing is suppose to go in it (on the spring).
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Yep it does look weird but that's how it is. One quick test to see if that spring is actually working, when the pedal is on the floor does it spring back if you use your toe to flick it back up? Chances are it will and that means the spring is doing its job.

Its a cantelever spring and needs the release pressure in the system to get it to the point of working. If the pressure is not all there it wont work.

Bleed with the rear as high as safely possible. Use a power bleeder dry with the reservoir topped right up past "Max". Also try tapping on the master/slave bodies with a small hammer while bleeding and slowly pump the pedal a few times to release all the trapped air.

Did you prime the master and slave before fitting? If not doing the above should get the air out.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Yep it does look weird but that's how it is. One quick test to see if that spring is actually working, when the pedal is on the floor does it spring back if you use your toe to flick it back up? Chances are it will and that means the spring is doing its job.

Its a cantelever spring and needs the release pressure in the system to get it to the point of working. If the pressure is not all there it wont work.

Bleed with the rear as high as safely possible. Use a power bleeder dry with the reservoir topped right up past "Max". Also try tapping on the master/slave bodies with a small hammer while bleeding and slowly pump the pedal a few times to release all the trapped air.

Did you prime the master and slave before fitting? If not doing the above should get the air out.
I did not prime the master or slave before install. I'll try your recommendations and report back with the results (hopefully good news). The pedal will pop back up if I eagle claw it with my toes
Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try putting a tight fitting tube over the bleed nipple of the slave cylinder with the other end immersed in your brake/clutch fluid reservior, crack the bleed valve open then pump the pedal until it is firm. Close the valve and done. The 944 system can't hide more air than the hydraulics on my car and this gets it done quickly.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
I did not prime the master or slave before install. I'll try your recommendations and report back with the results (hopefully good news). The pedal will pop back up if I eagle claw it with my toes
I bench bled both of them but didn't get the hose fully tight. Needless to say, my wife had to do a good deal up pumping for me. It took quite a while to get all of the air out.

I don't know if it actually helped, but I had the front on the floor and the rear on jack stands. Their isn't much room under there using this method, being tall and and slim helps.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal spring help