Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Porsche 944 vs. 1981 Datsun 280ZX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 03:03 AM
Lamah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
944's arent racecars, and they certainly arent entry level volkswagens. Dont come to the 944 forum and start disrespecting out cars. The 911 may have more speed and handleing .... but they cost 10 times as much.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:09 AM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Oh forgive me Lamah for the disrespect.
I'm sorry for disrespecting "out cars"
You say "Volkswagesn" , I said Volkswagon. And by the way, "handleing" could you define that word! Don't be a fool, drive your volkswagon back to school!
Old 01-12-2002, 03:35 AM
Renntag
Pro

ok, I waited until the flames died down and the smoke cleared to respond to this one....damn, take it easy guys....get a gun and go look for Osama. please.

The early MGs were considered pure sports cars...they were raced successfully, as were the 356s....were they fast 0-? ...not by my standards. Heck no.

I have had mustangs...they are fast as hell..so is the '96 camaro. If anyone thinks for a second that an early 944 will out accelerate a late Camaro or mustang is just asking for trouble.

I own several 944s, I love them...they handle great. but they are not 1/4 mile cars.

BTW: The 944 can be a successful race car. Anyone remember the 924 carrera? Hmm... I think that is how the 944 was developed ????

Ganja: I'm not going to rip on you like some other people....but come on...if you dont know that a mustang and a camaro have V8 engines...you should do a little more reading before you logon next time. How many cylinders do you think a 5 liter engine is going to have? Hmmmm...6 would be in a truck, 12 would be a bimmer or a benz and never, ever in a homegrown, low dollar, street rocket...so, must be 8 then. right?

Your car only makes 150-160hp. Mustangs are over 200 w/o trying. the 280ZX was what about 180hp? 2.8liters and a few hundred more pounds...I think between the Z and the '44....it comes down to the driver. I have owned 280Z,ZX, and ZX turbo. The '44 has an advantage IMHO...but what if the Z is running really well that day AND gets the hole shot...looks like you lost...its too close to call.

Hey, video tape it and drop us all the link to the video footage....be sure and 'cc' the owner of the 'z' as well.

Colin, gagging on the smoke from flaming threads.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Ganja, I would love to see footage of your car outperforming either the 285HP 5.6sec. 0-60 time of the Z-28. I think you meant the 6-cylinder Camaro, which has a 3.8 liter V6 that makes 200 HP, which is good for a crappy American car that depreciates as we speak. Watch out before you make comparisons that you cant prove.Your early model 944 is at best 8-9 seconds 0 to 60. Your owners manual should state this information, as mine does for the 87na. Also these times were accurate 15-20 years ago. In case you didnt know, cars loose compression over time and heavy usage. I bet if you had your car dynoed it would put maybe 115 HP on the ground.I had my Z-3 BMW dynoed that makes 184HP, but it only puts 151 on the ground. I am analytical and like to speak factual information. If you pull **** out of the air without reserch, you further reduce your credibility. Have a nice day!
Old 01-12-2002, 04:56 AM
stupenal
Instructor

Actually, Rob Glass, if you believe it or not, before Craig had to rebuild his engine, he was running a 0-60 of i think around 6.9 according to his g-tech. Whether or not he really ran that time is up for whoever wants to believe it. I think his actual goal 0-60 was 6.7. Not sure if he got it. If you wanna know his "mods" that he had done, the ones i remember the most were k&n, throttle s"cam" and his car was on a diet with his "lightweight" paintjob. Many old posts were flame fests when debating his so called "mods" and "performance" numbers. I don't really wanna go into it more, but after awhile, you just kinda ignore speed comparisons of cars and learn to love your car in the way you love it. Whether you think its a good drag racer, good handler, concours, etc, to each their own.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:35 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Who the hell are you Mr. "Rob Glass" comin in here an throwin **** around like that? Entry level volkswagon... WTF do you know about Ganjas 44 eh? Who f-ing says the 44 is not a sports car, you? You talk **** about credibility. As far as I know, you have NONE, we dont even know you. So before you start flaming, think again and shut the hell up.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:53 AM
Es3L
Instructor

just pissed because he can afford a 944, but cant afford to maintain it.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Rob Glass
Advanced

G-tech!!!! This little piece of **** gadget is not accurate. That little na944 likely will not run any 6.7 sec. 0-60 times without a supercharger. What do other people think? Can a 944 with a rebuilt engine run those times. Please list your mods. Finally, go to a dyno and have your results professionally mapped and throw the G-tech in the trash! When you post your dyno results I will believe you then. Hey lemonade, is that a factory color?
Old 01-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Mr. lemon yellow wannabe head turning car. Buy a real Porsche that is painted that color out of the factory. Oh yeh, you couldnt afford that one. Mr Yellow, go back to school, and loose the $7/hour job and then you can enter the real world of Porsche. I have nothing against the 944, but wouldnt you eventually want to step up?
Old 01-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Hey, I wasnt trying to cause a stir, I just challenged some of the claims about performance that people have made. I am not the first person to do this.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:49 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DING DING DING Ladies and gentlemen.....In this corner................................
Old 01-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Ganja Porsche
Instructor

hahaha no research?
a '96 v6 camaro has 160BHP and is HEAVIER than my car.
I HAVE RACED one at my school driven by a female, results, go find out for yourself.
I'm not even going to venture into MY car though I do run perfect compression and weigh in at 2600lbs. I never once said anything about 'beating a mustang' i don't care. I only posted this to compare two 'similar' cars. Why would you bring up everyone's 'fettish' with speed in a post like this? Ok, I might just go smoke some more ganja later this month if I feel like I want to. I defeat my credibility because my name has the name of 1) an ancient medicine that you're to blind to research for yourself? 2) A good car manufacturer? I would just like to know what your deal is? I'm in 11th by the way and am dropping out of the public school system after trying both private and public - way to slow. The program I'm entering, I should be finished with highschool in a matter of WEEKS and that's a moderate estimate according to the 'people' we consulted with. In actuality, if I HAD to make a judgement (which I generally do not like to do) I would go to say you're a mean, judgemental, ignorant person. You make full arguments and statements about people just from what you gain off of a web bulletin board system. It also seems that you're a very prideful person. I'm not one to judge at all, in fact I would be certain I could spend a few days with every person on this board and leave friends, you on the other hand? Well I'll leave that for you to decide. From here on out, I do request that you not reply to anymore of my TOPICS I start, but as far as this one is concerned feel free to rant and rave all you wish.
Just so you will know after my oil leak is fixed I will be racing a stock 1979 911SC that is down the street from me. Just so happens that a childhood friend was in the same situation as me, his dad had 'a car' that none of us knew what it was growing up, nor did we care, it just sat there. Oddly enough though, he drives a 2001 Jeep, ahhhh man I wish he would just kind'a give it to me =). When I do infact race him, it will b be recorded and posted here. I'm sure you will come in with a reply along the lines of this....
-If you win, it's because he's a poor driver.
Assume all you want, but remember, I'm 17 also, and neither of us have had any sort of extra driving classes of any sort. Drag racing when you get down to it(on this level) is rather uncomplicated.

944's can SURELY be race cars, it's all on your perspective wouldn't you agree? Take some miata's, celica's, 280zx's, maybe some volk's and race them. (despite the year as long as they fall into a 'certain' range of one another so that you don't have any 220HP giants ruling).
Also, I'm sorry for reacting the way I did in my first reply, I read it over this mourning and was suprised, I usually don't vent emotions built up from an outside source on another, so I'm sorry.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Rob Glass
Advanced

Figures, Ganja is in 11th grade and is ready to conquer the world. Well genius, try living on your own for a while and paying all of the associated costs, and mayyyyyybe, I'll respect you in a few years. I happen to be an adult, 28 years old, and you are certainly a kid. Im not surprised that you are having problems in school. You are the kind that drops out because no one could possibly tell you anything...right? I had a friend like that, and they are bagging groceries now, sound familiar.
I happen to have already graduated college with high honors, and working on an MBA.
You have a long way to go buddy. Do your parents smoke ganja with you? See you on Jenny Jones soon! By the way, I was a little like you when I was younger, but I grew up. What a waste of my time arguing back and fourth with an 11th grader!
Old 01-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Renntag
Pro

Thumbs down

You guys are both pathetic.

You are both making assumptions, slinging mud, and being childish.

I cant believe i wasted my time to read this thread. I had hoped that you two would resolve this like gentlemen. I almost want to commend Ganj...he started to appologize....and is he the 'kid'?

Put the gloves on and teach each other something.

This is a gentlemen's web board...can we start to act like it guys?
Old 01-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Ganja Porsche
Instructor

Sure thing. I like how he makes it seem as though bagging grocies makes them less of a person. Could you possibly be the type that goes through life then suddenly realizes how much of a waste you truly are? Just like the rest of us? Take that however you want it... Conquer the world? I have no such plan. I already make a fair amount of money with a job and other things that are not illegal by the way. =) good day.

Quick Reply: 1982 Porsche 944 vs. 1981 Datsun 280ZX