Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 Conversions

Old 07-19-2001, 08:49 PM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I brought a porsche cause I liked the shape, and half the engine was in the boot and the other half scattered over a motorway, I never drove the thing in standard form, I didn't even know about the dodgy brown interiors, I was lucky and got one with black and white pinstripe, power figures, suspension design and model numbers were all unknown to me. However the 944 Turbo (still don't know what model that equates to) is a gold affair with the nastiest interior in it, I was hoping to swap the other one but one look at the differrence between the oval dash and the other one soon put paid to that idea. And why do the dashboards crack, out of 4 cars the oldest one has a perfect dash, the rest are awful!
Perry, hows the car going, are you running yet!!!
Old 07-20-2001, 05:56 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Na.. not yet. Still waiting for the rest of the parts. I got a cam and tower from Tim on the way, and Jason is shipping valves, lifters, studs, gaskets, and a few other little things soon. After that, it will depend on when my pops can get a few days to go after it again, since I cannot make it back home for a while.

It sucks having your car half way across the country. I wish I had a bigger garage and massive amounts of tools so I could do all this in my spare time (what little I have). Until then, I am at the mercy of my fathers enthusiasm, if any left, to get out and get on it.
Old 07-21-2001, 08:49 PM
adie
Pro

Thumbs up

Let us know what you get on the rollers with all that work, I promised to keep the 944 turbo standard but those same voices have started back up, but untill I have a good look at the head I am unsure what to set up first the CNC or bertha the milling machine. I am thinking sprintex or even vortex to force the induction in, or a squirt of NO2 to spin the turbo up, but I'll have to do it on the quiet or the wife will kill me.
As for 'Because there is no conversion kit for BMW's, and being the first to do one would be a hellofaPITA', what a thought, watch this space, I'm thinking M5, only problem being the length and cost of donor engine
Back to the breakers yards, by the way I know a breakers around me (for all you UK guys) that get's 944's in about 1 a month, he's not allowed to sell the bodys as there condemed to the crusher (wipe the tears away) no loss as they have been compleatly vandalised and some tourched, but the running gear is super cheap, I paid £150 for torque tube, box and transaxle,rear sub inc.brakes, rad, alternator and starter. He's going to let me know when the next one is comming in.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:43 PM
Lars
Instructor

Question

Yo, if u were doing 11 second quarter miles and had the car setup for good handling, that would be cool.

If it's just set up for dragging (tires, etc)then 11 seconds compared to a stock vette...bah...not that great...because the vette actually handles and doesn't have any special profile/width/size tires or special suspension work done on it, it's right outta the factory, can be driven on the street and corners, no where near being just set up for dragging...so if it's just set up for dragging can't you make it a 9 second car like those civics with chevs in the back of em so that it's an impressive rather than average number to brag about?

thanks, please do that.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:08 PM
adie
Pro

Wink

About a year to late, I discussed the virtues of the car about a year ago and find it boaring to do so again, but without going into detail, yes it does handle but with it being so much lighter at the front the rear becomes a bit of a handfull in the wet, the front locks up easily to, I use the for everything inc. the weekly shoping. It has obviously escaped your notice that I am in the UK, Vette's are not around here, and I think our civic's are different to your's as ours are FWD 1.3 hatchbacks that are only brought for a second car. When you can run 10 sec's in your street car let me know, when, you race your car let me know. Actually don't as I am not that interested. America certainly churns out faster drag cars than in the UK but I do it for fun.
Hope you find what ever it is you are looking for.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:29 PM
Lars
Instructor

You told me on the other message board that your car was set up for dragging, and you don't care about handling, but if you did, it would handle ok, but that it has tires and wheels and stuff on it now so its set up for dragging....so i'm just getting confused here.
Old 07-22-2001, 07:04 PM
adie
Pro

Wink

As I said, about a year to late.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V8 Conversions