Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noooo, stripped trans coupler bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joes
This may sound crazy but wht dont you turn the coupler to the other side take a punch and drive it out? If it it truly striped out it should drive out.

the threads aren't stripped (well I hope not), the head where the allen head tool fits is stripped.

I will try the 16mm socket idea when I get it home (if it makes it home haha), sounds like it'd work.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by chrenan
Older Crasftsman Canada, very likely predates the Chinese crap Sears has been selling here for a decade at least and the Chinese crap Sears USA has starting selling there. I'd guess it was forged in the USA by how well it held up.
i've been using cheap chinese made sockets on my 944 for years and i'm lucky they haven't broken, but if I try bashing it in with a hammer they'll probably crack. I might go get a good quality 16mm air tool socket.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude, when I saw this thread, started by you, I thought "this has to be the old thread"... It sucks that this is happening to you again, sorry man. You should be more careful with transmission couplers!

Were you using a u-joint, or were you trying to get at the bolt with a straight extension? The tranny-side bolt requires a u-joint if you want to get it properly.

The most important thing with tightening and loosening bolts is to keep the socket seated flat 100%. Always counter-hold the head of the socket wrench with one hand while you apply torque at the end of the wrench with your other hand.

If there are any Porsche dismantlers or junkyards located near you, just go get a couple of bolts from them, it will be cheaper and faster than ordering new ones.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

haha yeah. this exact thing didn't happen to me before, my torque tube got stripped while driving couple years back and the coupler wouldn't budge after taking the bolts out so I had to cut through it with a saw and it was a nightmare to cut it, and I replaced the torque tube.

hopefully chrenan's method will work and shoving a socket on the outside will get it out.

I was not using a u-joint, just a long straight extension, I thought it was pretty straight in there. if I use a u-joint how would I torque it with a torque wrench? you can't use u-joints on torque wrenches i'm pretty sure.

anyways if it comes out i'll be happy, a new bolt is 14 bucks from dealer here. I'd rather use a new bolt than a used one that might be worn from being removed and more likely to strip again.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

if I can get it out with chrenan's method I'll just put a new one in and tighten it without a torque wrench and take it to a shop to have it properly torqued.

it's hard to use a torque wrench under there on that bolt and i don't want to risk stripping it again if I can get it out.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I was not using a u-joint, just a long straight extension, I thought it was pretty straight in there. if I use a u-joint how would I torque it with a torque wrench? you can't use u-joints on torque wrenches i'm pretty sure.

anyways if it comes out i'll be happy, a new bolt is 14 bucks from dealer here. I'd rather use a new bolt than a used one that might be worn from being removed and more likely to strip again.
Use a u-joint for the trans side bolt, it is not a straight line to the bolt. Yes, you can use a torque wrench, especially when its just a very slight mis-alignment.

$14, VW/Porsche Canada is gouging you. $8.71 is the current US dealer list price.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, you can use a torque wrench with a u-joint as long as the joint doesn't bind - i.e., a small angle.

I hope the 16mm socket trick works!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDragonX

I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut through the coupler and bolt just above where the threads start. We of course had to replace both items but we had a spare from our parts car.
could anyone further elaborate here. the head on my bolt so mangled from hitting it with a chisel there is much left to turn. i think i may try this dremel method. would cutting in the split of the coupler thru the bolt work?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:29 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can use the hardware store version bolt, with the bigger head, on the tranny side but not on the toward the front of the car.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:41 AM
jhammond
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I just happened on it as I had a badly stripped clamping sleeve bolt. I used a 5/8"/16mm Irwin Bolt Grip extractor and it worked perfectly. (In fact it worked so well that I'm now wondering it I should just use the extractor rather than a hex bit the next time I remove the transmission side bolt.) When I install the replacement bolt which is a better? U-joint and straight hex bit? Or ball end long hex bit?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

If it's just a small misalignment I'd use a wobble extension on a standard socket. Don't ever use ball-end hex bits for anything but running bolts in or out. They have very little torque capacity.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammond
I know this is an old thread but I just happened on it as I had a badly stripped clamping sleeve bolt. I used a 5/8"/16mm Irwin Bolt Grip extractor and it worked perfectly. (In fact it worked so well that I'm now wondering it I should just use the extractor rather than a hex bit the next time I remove the transmission side bolt.) When I install the replacement bolt which is a better? U-joint and straight hex bit? Or ball end long hex bit?
Get a short hex bit and use a U-joint to another extension. There is a slight clash with the side of the inspection window if you use a long bit, it will cause your bit to sit a few degrees off of straight within the fastener. Mine stripped a few years ago because of this.

Quick Reply: noooo, stripped trans coupler bolt