Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass rear bumper(Crash Protection)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiberglass rear bumper(Crash Protection)

I am putting a fiberglass rear bumper from TPC on my car. I think it will make it look a bit more modern and overall give me that euro rear look I want.

My concern is now what about crash protection? The bodyshop basically told me it will be like having paper back there. AKA No crash protection. This got me a bit concerned. Has anyone made a metal structure that would help in impact? The bodyshop mentioned building something out of angle iron. I'm not looking for can take the impact at 60 MPH, just something that would help in the event of a small fender bender.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
turbodave
Instructor

"The bodyshop basically told me it will be like having paper back there. AKA No crash protection."

Did they also mention that the 944 bumper does not match or line up with any bumper out there? If you have lowered your car at all it's even worse. Ask me how I Know. So I find their comments kind'a funny. I would say if you want to put a euro bumper on your car, Go for it! - Dave
Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a factory euro bumper, and its pretty stout. Thick fiberglass. Also, the euro mounts are made so they collapse in event of an impact.

Keeping in mind you are giving up the aluminum bumper, and the bumper shocks for fiberglass and "one time use" steel mounts... you are giving up a lot of protection, but I wouldn't say they are "useless". Most jackasses around my city have raised up diesel trucks anyway, so wtf difference does it make what bumper you use? Their bumpers line up with the hatch, not the bumper.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right, any significant hit the bumper won't make a difference, the back will buckle, and it's a total loss. I wouldn't worry about it. The whole hatch is a crumple zone. Sucks. I have an AIR rear, apparently. Really like it.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

The bumper I have an all fiberglass copy of the euro design. I may not worry about it.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

would a can of expandable foam assuage your concerns? thats about what newer cars come with.

ford crown vics have basically plastic packing peanuts behind their bumpers...but then there's a huge steel beam.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less crash protection...yes. Worth the additional cool points....yes. Seriously though, you have a lot of other metal between the point of impact and you. These cars are very strong in the rear. I would like to add one to my car one day.

Put it on and don't look back, literally.

Michael
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Agree with everyone, don't worry about it. I bet on most of the US bumpers with the extra protection the dampers are probably shot anyway.

In either case a big hit at the back will be a write-off but you should be safe.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.sparebumper.com/index.php...Id=44&catId=15

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/s...per/index.html
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got rear-ended by a stock height 2 wheel drive chevy silverado. It barely touched the top edge of my bumper. The license plate panel took all the force. A different bumper would not have made any difference in my accident.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
dinodanny
Advanced

I bought a GT Racing fiberglass bumper last year and lucky for me it didn't fit and I sent it back. A few months later I got rear ended at a traffic light and the stock bumper took all of the impact. Bumper, end caps and shocks destroyed but no damage at all to the body. It would have been a completely different story with the fiberglass bumper.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by dinodanny
.... It would have been a completely different story with the fiberglass bumper.
I don't think it would have been a lot different, the US and Euro crash protection (mph) figure was similar in the early 80's. The only difference was the US requirement for metal bumpers and a higher rear end.

The Euro fiberglass bumper does have crash protection to the same level, it's just they achieved it with collapsible steel mounts not shocks. On the Euro the mounts would buckle and bumper would break before body damage, on the US the shocks would compress and the end caps deform instead.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM
dinodanny
Advanced

The Euro fiberglass bumper does have crash protection to the same level
True with the Euro bumper. The Gt racing fiberglass bumper bolted directly to the shock mounts with very thin cast in fiberglass mounts. I don't think I would have any reservations about using the Euro bumper.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
would a can of expandable foam assuage your concerns? thats about what newer cars come with.

ford crown vics have basically plastic packing peanuts behind their bumpers...but then there's a huge steel beam.
+1 - this is what I do. Fill it with foam. Should provide a little collapsible protection (or at least that's what I tell myself).
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have euro bumpers on my car, and I was rear ended at pretty low speed by a Lincoln Continental last summer (driver behind me thought I had accelerated after the light had turned green but I hadn't moved yet). The bumper did a decent job of absorbing the impact because there was only minor damage to the mount and the rest of the car, but the bumper itself was destroyed.

I think there are 2 ways of looking at crash protection:

1) Will a fiberglass or euro-style bumper protect the rest of the car in an impact? A little, but not as much as the US bumper with bumper shocks would because the shocks would absorb the impact. The fiberglass itself will absorb some of the energy of the impact, but it will likely break as a result.

2) Will a fiberglass bumper help protect you in an impact? I can't see any reason why it would perform any worse than the US bumper in this respect. The fiberglass will still absorb some energy, but the rear structure of the car is really what is protecting you, and that is unchanged.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass rear bumper(Crash Protection)