Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Advice on Power Steering Fluid to use (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/74546-advice-on-power-steering-fluid-to-use.html)

Pamela 11-18-2001 06:37 PM

Advice on Power Steering Fluid to use

Okay, this question has probably been asked gazillions of times, however, being a new 88 944S owner, I am unsure as to which type of PS fluid to use to fill up reservoir. Noticed in past few outings that on turning steering wheel while reversing (out of driveway especially) there is a groaning/whining noise. Thinking probably low on steering fluid, so just wanting some advice on brand and type of fluid to use. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

P.S. Reading old topics, is it true synthetic PS fluid can cause leakage...perhaps previous owner has used this and that is why I find PS fluid on garage floor occasionally? :confused:

rfuerst 11-18-2001 06:57 PM

Our cars use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir,and they are prone to leaks.If you are only leaking a small amount I would try to locate,it may be as simple as a hose clamp that is loose on the reservoir or as drastic as the steering rack starting to leak.Like anything else it takes a little looking,cleaning and some luck to find where the leak is.

booster 11-18-2001 07:48 PM

Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid Only!

Mark944na86 11-18-2001 07:51 PM

The specified type of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to use is Dexron. Dexron III is reported to work properly. The stuff to avoid is anything that says "synthetic power steering fluid" -- big problems result, apparently.

-Mark 86 944 NA

Michael Stephenson 11-19-2001 01:16 PM

If you think that the PO put in power steering fluid instead of ATF, then you might want to have the system flushed. Having power steering fluid in the system will eventually make it go bad.

I had a few leaks that were the result of loose clamps. I tightened them up and no more leaks.

On the subject of synthetic - my mechanic put in Redline synthetic ATF when he flushed my system. So far, so good.

Tabor 11-19-2001 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Michael Stephenson:
<STRONG>If you think that the PO put in power steering fluid instead of ATF, then you might want to have the system flushed. Having power steering fluid in the system will eventually make it go bad.</STRONG>
"Power steering" fluid is ATF. The only cars that take anything different are Hondas.

keith 11-19-2001 01:40 PM

and Audis.

Michael Stephenson 11-19-2001 01:48 PM

Tabor, what you say may be true, but there is a difference between typical power steering fluid and ATF or else it would not be an issue. My mechanic could tell be the smell that there was some regular power steering fluid in my system.

So what is the difference? (I sincerely do not know) If there is no difference, then this entire thread is pointless and Pamela should use whatever she wants. However, I would not do that, for I have heard to many stories of regular power steering fluid damaging the system.

Tabor 11-19-2001 01:54 PM

I think the problem is that most bottles that are labeled "power steering fluid" also have the words "quick leak fix™" on them.

I know when I went to buy power steering fluid, I could not find a bottle that didn't say "stops leaks" or "synthetic". But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

In conclusion, you want Power Steering fluid, you just don't want it to be labeled "Power Steering Fluid".

Mark944na86 11-19-2001 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<STRONG>In conclusion, you want Power Steering fluid, you just don't want it to be labeled "Power Steering Fluid".</STRONG>
And in particular, you want power steering fluid that _is_ labelled "Dexron ATF".

Remember: Dexron. There is no substitute.

-Mark 86 944 NA

newoldguy 11-21-2001 01:53 AM

Here's my story--car would leak fluid and make groaning noise in the morning. I thought I was in for an expensive experience. Started filling with Dexron ATF like everybody says. Leak stopped and groaning went away. I wonder if the previous owner had put the wrong stuff in??? When enough leaked out, right chemistry is doing the job. Maybe?

Lemon Yellow 87 n/a 11-21-2001 02:02 AM

How do you flush the power steering system on the 944?

Pamela 11-21-2001 02:52 AM

Gee, you guys really get into it don't you :)
Anyway, purchased some Dexron III ATF Fluid from my local carquest store down the street. Could not find Valvoline brand in marked Valvoline bottle, but person behind counter informed me that the Carquest labeled bottle was indeed VALVOLINE brand dexron III ATF!! Said she did not know why this was so, but so far so good.....no more groaning/whining noises from steering and as of today I have yet to find any more leaks, but need to check this in the morning. And to reiterate Lemon Yellow - how do you flush the power steering system? Is it a job for a novice or should it be conducted only by the experienced mechanic?? :confused: In other words, can a Porsche mechanic in the making (i.e. ME) undertake this task?

TIA Guys.......

jim968 11-21-2001 04:02 AM

Pamela & Lemon-Yellow.. "proper" bleeding requires getting under the car (jackstands or ramps) & knowing which fittings to take loose (I've not a clue).

Simple DIY bleeding requires a bulb-type kitchen baster... use it to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir thru the top. Refill. Drive 100-200 miles. Repeat. Do this maybe three-four times total and you'll have flushed almost all the old fluid out.
Not perfect, not highly technical, but adequate for anything short of a total mechanical pump failure, where there are metal chips to be removed.

Dispose of the old fluid properly, and consign the baster to permanent garage-only duty....

Jim, "Hey! This turkey tastes funny!"

Eric 11-21-2001 09:21 AM

Jim,

Your taglines always crack me up.

Eric--thanks for the laugh. :D