Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo survey

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 02:34 PM
marooned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post stereo survey

I don't think this has been done in awhile. I'm curious as to what Head units, amps, speakers, subs you guys all have. I bought some boston fx7e's (4x6's) for the fronts but I'm not sure that I'm all that impressed. I'm looking for some ideas Thanks and participation is mandatory on this one
Old 08-12-2001, 03:19 PM
MAS
Racer

I have an all Pioneer "Premier" system with:

- Pioneer CD player/tuner 4x50 watt "high-power" (DEH-230)

- Two Pioneer 3 way 6 1/2" speakers in the doors (TS-606)

- Two Pioneer 2 way 6x4" speaker in the stock rear locations (TS-A4615)

It cost under $1000 installed, and it sounds pretty good. About a billion times better than the stock system

-MAS
Old 08-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Black_951
Instructor

I just got the new Sony Xplod "Active Black Display" head unit. I think it is the 620 model. Anyway, after three weeks of use I have mixed opinions on the unit mostly because it is such a radically different design then other radios I have ever used. It takes some getting used to. My biggest gripe is it will skip when playing CDs over rough roads. Further, if the CD is in poor condition it will not play it at all, unlike my home CD player which is ten years old and will play anything.

To go with them, I bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 693.3i because the Crutchfield website said they can be installed with only "minor modifications". Ha, as soon as I saw the box they arrived in I knew those "minor" modifications would require a blow torch. Needless to say, while they are hooked up and sound great, I did not make the modifications and decided instead to put them in boxes in the rear floorboard.

Anyway, I would gladly take any suggestions on what to do with these things as I like the speakers but do not like the space they are taking up in my backseat.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:38 PM
bron964
Racer

Head unit:Alpine 3DE-7985 3 disc in-dash receiver

Front Stage:Boston Acoustic 4" separates
Rear fill:Boston Acoustic plates
Sub:Audiomobile EVO 10" svc

Highs amp:Rockford Fosgate 40w x 4
Sub amp:MTX 500D
Processor:Audio Control Epicenter
Crossover:MTX electronic 3-way
Streetwires 1.0farad cap
Viper alarm

Old 08-12-2001, 04:49 PM
bron964
Racer

Michael,

ask your local stereo shop what they can do to install your Kappa's. i know that even my 4" midranges wouldn't fit without cutting away a little of the door panel. i think with minimal cutting and some spacers/adaptors, your speakers will be able to fit and you can finally enjoy them the way they were supposed to be heard.

check out this link for some ideas: http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...=Porsche%20944

hope this helps
Old 08-12-2001, 05:00 PM
adie
Pro

Nac CD head unit, old DCA 800 Dennon amp, Kef 6 1/2" uni-Q's, two front and two rear, Kef 10 sub X2, one in each rear hatch space on either side. front's are soon to bew changed for USD waveguides.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:13 PM
marooned
Advanced

okay guys, how are you getting 6 1/2" in the fronts?? Cutting? cause I don't really want to do that. I would love to be able to fit some 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's.

btw... i have a blau 35x4 (reno) HU
Old 08-12-2001, 11:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P520 (Awesome)
Front Speakers: $8 Radio Shack Special (PO installed them)
Rear: ??? Intermitent.

What I am going to put in:

Polk Component system for the front. Probably in 6.5".

Polk 6x9" in the Back.

Polk 8" sub.

Pioneer amp(s).

Pioneer 12 disc CD changer.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:25 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I have an old JVC head unit, which I will be replacing soon.

2 6 by 9 eclipse's in the rear

2 8 inch rockford fosgate subs, behind the seats

Coming soon:
3 more 4 by 6 eclipse's
Old 08-13-2001, 12:02 AM
David G
Advanced

I hardly ever turn mine on! All I have is a 40x4 Pioneer CD thru my stock speakers. I've got one that rattles, so if any of you guys that have upgraded wanna sell me your stock front speakers, let me know...
Old 08-13-2001, 01:41 AM
agent944
Instructor

Talking

I have a Sony CD headunit (getting kind of old now) 40w x 4 I think. Infinity speakers with seperate tweaters up front, stock speakers in the back (didn't want to screw around with those back panels), and an MA Audio 10" Sub with an 800w amp (~400W RMS). Neadless to say, even if I upgraded the back speakers, the sub would drown them out anyways. The amp fit nicely in the trunk side compartment next to the wheel well.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:28 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Old and tired JVC KDS 640 40Wx4 head unit, which has been in 3 other cars of mine...I got it for free because I had an old panasonic head unit that I bought when I was 17 years old that crapped out after 2 years, 11 months, and 4 weeks (no ****) of owning it, and to this day every time I turn on my stereo I thank my older sister who bought me the 3 year extended warranty from best buy as a birthday present (the head unit was a present to myself).

Speakers...fronts are 5 1/2" (I think) round 70 watt max blaupunkts that were in my first car (81 RX-7 when I was 16) that I ghetto rigged into the stock 4x6 location (they are hanging out of the hole). These have been in place for a month or so. Rears are blown stockers. The fronts were so laugably deteriorated (NO cone or foam surround left at all) and I had a 2 and a half hour drive ahead of me so I ghetto rigged them in 5 minutes.

Sub is 10" 500 watt (I think) MTX thunder something something. Amp is some piece of crap no namer that has a habit of overheating if I am listening to very basey music for more than 20 minutes in a row.

Future audio mods...replace a 4 speakers with polk 4*6's, replace stock wiring...all very very soon. Then a new amp for the sub.

Then...replace head unit, holder area under it, and the piece of the dash board directly above it with an 8" LCD SVGA screen with a touchscreen overlay, running a PC (mounted somewhere in the back most likely, in a small custom low profile case...probably 1+ GHz athlon powered) with a lot of storage space (80 GB will probably do it...how many months of MP3 files is that?) off of a 300W 12V power supply with a small UPS or capacitor (nothing more than 5 pounds), and an amp to drive the in car speakers. It would be fairly easy to add GPS, wireless internet, in car digicam, DVD, game playing ability, remote control over the internet, etc. to this set up. I would then probably want to run stand alone engine management (tecII maybe?) and be able to switch from fuel efficent mode to 450 horsepower mode to valet mode to won't start mode, lock the in car computer, and require biometrics to unlock it (thumbprint scanners can be had pretty cheap, and it would be damn cool to need your thumbprint to be able to start your car), etc. etc. etc...probably a couple of years down the road would I ever be completed though, as I am now a poor college student again.

I have a friend who is in the process of doing almost exactly what I have talked about to his 91' firebird. He is still waiting to get his car back from the paint shop, but will probably start with the crazy project soon after, and I will make sure he takes a bunch of pictures while he is doing it/is done.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:01 AM
adie
Pro

6 1/2 in front is easy without cutting as long as you can work with fiberglass, I roughed out some pods, covered them with speakercloth so they were smooth, impregnated them with resin and once dry and hard reinforced the insides with fiberglass, then deadmatted the insides, easy.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:45 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

JP,

Rockford Fostgate single-disc CD/headunit model #(??) car is at home.

fronts(I just replaced the OEM units this weekend--none too soon as they literally crumbled apart in my hands) Kenwood 4x6. Model #-?? they are the ones that are supposed to fit w/o modification, but they didn't, so I had to use the plastic spacers which came with the Blaus which are going in the rears. I tucked the spacers behind the door panel, and the factory grills fit nice and flush. I was also going to run fresh wires from each to the head unit, but the existing wiring looked as if it wasn't OEM, so I let them go and they sound fine. One question on the door panels--in the factory speaker boxes, they were surrounded by a rubber "boot" I imagine for weather protection--Anyone else have these "boots" around their fronts, I was just wondering if it was factory, or not???

Rear Blaupunkt 4x6 model???(Monday morning--can't remember anything) they were 40.00 from Crutchfield. Rain postponed their installation on Sat.--maybe tonight as I have to do the work in the yard and I am thinking of popping out the rear windows for access per Zach Carriers' instructions.

Just a nice, basic system--no pimpin' for me.

Eric(need more coffee)
Old 08-13-2001, 10:14 AM
daly944
Instructor

Cd Player: Panasonic 3d dot matrix 4x60 watt max and a blue display

speakers: blaupunkt with clear blue poly cone

amp: audiobahn 300 watt rms chrome amp with blue lighting

sub: audiobahn abp100 10 inch sub with bandpass box, blue neon lighting, 4 chrome ports, and fake leather covering.

Quick Reply: stereo survey