Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Fuel Jumper Line (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/727134-fuel-jumper-line.html)

sweetskillsrk 11-15-2012 10:35 PM

Fuel Jumper Line

So the fuel jumper line that goes from the fuel rail to the fuel damper on my 944 has a bubble near one of the couplings. It's actually been there for some time, but I want to go ahead and replace it. I'm actually going to build the hose myself at work but I don't want to go through the hassle of downing my car just to look at the hose then put it back on temporarily. So, I need a favor...does someone have their jumper hose currently off their car or a spare laying around you could take pictures of? Basically I just need to know what kind of couplings they are. The hose on Pelican is basically $100 bucks and I don't want to pay that when I can make it myself for like $20, so if anyone could help me out that'd be great. By the way, if this works, would anyone else be interested? I can make pretty much anything that's thrown at me, including a/c hoses. Thanks guys!

bordin34 11-15-2012 11:20 PM

I wouldnt drive the car with a bubble in a pressurized fuel hose. Thats just asking for a fuel fire.
I think Porsche uses a bubble flare fitting.

Grandpa#3 11-16-2012 04:14 AM

Try Double Bubble Flare. These lines are harder to make than one would think. The fittings are not available here in the states. That Damper line is under pressure so a hose clamp will not work.

Cheers,
Larry

teamcrossworks 11-16-2012 07:52 AM

Lart sells a braided jumper using the stock ends for a reasonable price...probably the best option IMHO.

John_AZ 11-16-2012 09:29 AM

Len (Len at Autosportengineering dot com)

On Pelican sells a jumper :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/6905197-post4.html

John

Fara 11-16-2012 06:42 PM

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance with pressurised fuel.

http://www.rennbay.com/fuel-hose-jum...bd586b2059aace
(site sponsor)

Grandpa#3 11-16-2012 09:38 PM

The question is "Do you want BLING factor or Safety". The Rennbay or Pelican Rail to Damper fuel line is the better choice. When a line is covered with metal mesh it is harder to tell if the line springs a slow leak. Metal braided line is made to prevent where two lines may rub together creating a worn spot in the hose.

Cheers,
Larry

sweetskillsrk 11-17-2012 09:58 AM

Teamcross and John, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those options if for some reason I can't seem to get this to work.

Guys, please don't insult my intelligence. I've owned my 944 for 5 years, I think I know my way around it pretty good. I realize the obvious potential dangers with continually running this hose and I know a hose clamp won't work. And bling? There is nothing on my car that could even be remotely considered "bling," I think yall totally missed my point. I work at a Caterpillar dealer here in VA and part of my job is to build hydraulic hoses. I'm not building this hose in my backyard or anything.

So, now that we've cleared that up. Any pictures of the couplings? If not, no big deal, just thought I would check before going through the hassle of taking the hose off my car and putting it back on just temporarily. Thanks.

Grandpa#3 11-17-2012 07:58 PM

Thank you, Landon, for clarifying your job skills. I apologize for myself and others IF you thought we were trying to insult your intelligence. We have no knowledge of what each of us knows about maintenance. We all try our best to inform others of the risk involved if one tries to make that line themselves. I and others are a little paranoid about the fuel jumper line as many of our cars have gone up in flames because of it. As an "Old" Aircraft Mechanic and Air Force (ATC) Certified Aircraft Maintenance Instructor, I know all the pro's and cons about SS Braided Hose and its uses. I feel sure you will make the right choice.

Cheers,
Larry

John_AZ 11-17-2012 08:10 PM

Landen & Larry,

Since both have experience in hydraulic hoses, The crimped collar on Porsche OEM jumper fuel rail hoses is a double thickness collar.

Len explained he can only get a standard HD thickness collars from his parts source in Germany. He also explained the tool press eguipment to press the double thickness collar is not standard----very expensive.

His jumpers will meet passenger car standards.

Just FYI--I went with new from Paragon.

John

Grandpa#3 11-17-2012 08:44 PM

Thank you, John, the cost of the special equipment and fittings are passed on down to the buyer. I guess that is why the jumper line is so expensive. OEM Quality is the only way to go especially on Fuel Lines and Hoses.

Cheers,
Larry

sweetskillsrk 03-09-2013 09:59 PM

So, after many months of putting off the project, I finally got around to taking a look at my hose today. I looked at the couplings and tried matching them up to a few kinds (French Gaz, Metric Taper, etc.) until I figured out they are BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel) couplings, which is what I suspected they were all along. So, for those who are curious, the specs on the hose are as follows: (2) 90 degree BSPP -6 (.325) fittings and I'm thinking about 7 to 10 inches of hose (depending on how I have to route it) rated to 1200psi. I have the couplings on order at work and they'll be here Tuesday so I'll make the hose up then and hopefully install the new hose that night as well. I'll let yall know how it goes.

Also, assuming there aren't any fitment issues, the total cost of the hose is going to be around $50 bucks (give or take a few bucks), would anyone else be interested?

86 951 Driver 03-10-2013 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by John_AZ (Post 10003134)
Len (Len at Autosportengineering dot com)

On Pelican sells a jumper :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/6905197-post4.html

John

I have one on my car and it was a great quality product. I was one of the guinea pigs for it and have been VERY happy with it.

lart951 03-13-2013 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3 (Post 10004836)
The question is "Do you want BLING factor or Safety". The Rennbay or Pelican Rail to Damper fuel line is the better choice. When a line is covered with metal mesh it is harder to tell if the line springs a slow leak. Metal braided line is made to prevent where two lines may rub together creating a worn spot in the hose.

Cheers,
Larry

Larry, if the bling factor includes teflon which will exceed the life expectancy of any car, I would go for the bling/teflon, do a open minded search. Regular rubber (silicone)fuel lines Aeroquip etc 5 years expectancy.
PTFE / Teflon lines are great for replacing many factory rubber hoses such as rubber fuel lines, brake lines, and clutch lines. PTFE / Teflon does not deteriorate or bulge with age like rubber does, and has far superior chemical resistance. Teflon lines carry a lifetime warranty.

lart951 03-13-2013 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk (Post 10005535)
Teamcross and John, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those options if for some reason I can't seem to get this to work.

Guys, please don't insult my intelligence. I've owned my 944 for 5 years, I think I know my way around it pretty good. I realize the obvious potential dangers with continually running this hose and I know a hose clamp won't work. And bling? There is nothing on my car that could even be remotely considered "bling," I think yall totally missed my point. I work at a Caterpillar dealer here in VA and part of my job is to build hydraulic hoses. I'm not building this hose in my backyard or anything.

So, now that we've cleared that up. Any pictures of the couplings? If not, no big deal, just thought I would check before going through the hassle of taking the hose off my car and putting it back on just temporarily. Thanks.

he was referring to this as bling, btw the line pictured are not for sale anymore, i dont sell them, but they were by far superior choice than any other (including oem)since they were made with teflon