Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive Power Bleeder.....now I'm a believer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mess? I would assume that the "mess" you are talking about is the fluid that squirts out the bleeders? if so would it not be easier to use a 1/4" vacuum hose over the nipple into a bottle to catch it? instead of squirting it all over the floor and under carafe? I did this with all brake bleeding with motor cycles and cars over the years, have not used my Motive Bleeder yet but will this year
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James Chimney
Mess? I would assume that the "mess" you are talking about is the fluid that squirts out the bleeders? if so would it not be easier to use a 1/4" vacuum hose over the nipple into a bottle to catch it? instead of squirting it all over the floor and under carafe? I did this with all brake bleeding with motor cycles and cars over the years, have not used my Motive Bleeder yet but will this year
When I went to disconnect the cap from the res I couldn't figure out how to prevent a little fluid from getting loose. Couple of rags did the job though. Oh and those that are going to get one, drop by Dollar G or WM and pick up a cheap turkey baster as well. Helps to draw out fluid in the res when your done.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Instructions?
From Lowes:

Garden sprayer... I got the 2 gallon, but I'm sure that size doesn't matter.
Some clear hose ... 4-5ft. I can't remember the size exactly, so break open the sprayer box and get the same diameter as the hose for the wand.
A brass barbed nipple in the size of the hose you bought

From the auto parts store:

In the "HELP" section, you need the GM master cylinder cap ... Just happens to match the size and threads of our master cylinder.

Put it all together. Throw the wand and hose from the sprayer, in the trash. Put the hose your bought from Lowes into the hole in the sprayer. Then drill a hole in the GM master cylinder cap so the brass nipple you bought will thread into it. JB weld the nipple into the cap so its air tight. Put the hose from the sprayer into the nipple. I hose clamped mine to stop leaks.

Then just use it like you would use the super expensive "professional" bleeder. I use mine dry, because its cleaner, but you could fill it with brake fluid and use it wet. Works all the same.

Last edited by m73m95; 11-14-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m73m95
From Lowes:

From the auto parts store:

In the "HELP" section, you need the GM master cylinder cap ... Just happens to match the size and threads of our master cylinder.
Part number?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea. I think there's only 2 to choose from that fit a GM application. The old big metal lid, and the small screw on plastic cap.... it's exactly the same size as the cap on the 944, only its black. Should be easy to find.

Also, add a big rubber washer (~1.5-2"dia) from the hardware section of Lowes to seal the cap to the master cylinder.

I'm sorry I don't have part numbers or exact dimensions. I built it a few years ago. Its a very easy project though. Just kinda have to piece it together. I did add a pic of the proper style barbed nipple, to my previous post, just to clarify what to buy.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Word of warning with the motive bleeder.
Mine is about 5 years old and the hose sprung a leak while under pressure. Sprayed brake fluid all over my black cayenne. All over the hood, windshield, roof ....
I quickly grabbed the hose and sprayed down the car. Scary.

Quick Reply: Motive Power Bleeder.....now I'm a believer.