Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch work: easier to pull the engine or transaxle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Sounds like maybe the clutch fork broke? Is there a rubber centered clutch or spring centered clutch disk in there? I have had a pedal go to the floor then after pulling it back up it was sort of stuck and would get stuck some of the way travel. Does it make any noises with the engine rotating when you try to depress the clutch? In my case the pressure was a centerforce with an extra spring that came apart and was not enabling the clutch to disengage. If you need a new fork I have one and I also have a very nice clutch kit available for cheap.
Good - someone read the reason for the original post. Right - I figured it might be the fork. We do not know what type of clutch disc is in the car. There was a receipt for a clutch job included with the paperwork that came with the car. I think we bought it in 2008. There is no positive proof the work was done - but we figure it probably was.

Also - we have not tried to run the engine since this happened. Maybe it will provide some clues - but it will still come down to taking the thing apart to replace whatever is broken.

Anyway - I now know which way to proceed. The problem is lack of free time and a limitation on a good working surface. I have a few ideas - but none solve the time issue.

If we get to it fairly soon and figure out what we need to fix it - I'll be in touch regarding the parts.

Quick Reply: Clutch work: easier to pull the engine or transaxle?