Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cracking/separating

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

of course i couldn't resist injecting a spot of humor (assachusetts sarcasm/alternative form of speech) to state the obvious.

1. old glass fails.

2. there's no cause for alarm or disappointment.

3. the windshield is talking to you; saying, 'it's time;' it's no longer safe and requires replacement.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '86 started making that motorboat-ish rapping sound that increased with speed. Came from the windshield area, probably the passenger side. Seemed obvious that is was an air flow issue. Thought it might be a windshield separation, similar to those pictured previously in this thread.

Turned out to be the vinyl moulding which surrounds the top and sides of the windshield. Couldn't tell by looking at it. The moulding sat flat against the body/glass as always. But it was loose in spots (large spots) and could be easily lifted away from the car. Other areas were still tightly held in position.

There's a strip along the back of the moulding with a barb which is held by a groove in the plastic surround bonded to the body/glass. The groove in the plastic opened up (presumably by repeated heat/cool cycles) and no longer gripped the moulding. The result was that the moulding slapped against the body/glass as air flowed over/under it.

I could have just glued it into place with silicone sealer, but I plan to paint the car sometime and didn't want the hassle of removing the sealer. Instead I wedged some shims between the body and plastic retainer so that the groove closed up enough to grip the moulding. (Time consuming but easily reversible.)

That stopped the noise.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cb951
My '86 started making that motorboat-ish rapping sound that increased with speed. Came from the windshield area, probably the passenger side. Seemed obvious that is was an air flow issue. Thought it might be a windshield separation, similar to those pictured previously in this thread.

Turned out to be the vinyl moulding which surrounds the top and sides of the windshield. Couldn't tell by looking at it. The moulding sat flat against the body/glass as always. But it was loose in spots (large spots) and could be easily lifted away from the car. Other areas were still tightly held in position.

There's a strip along the back of the moulding with a barb which is held by a groove in the plastic surround bonded to the body/glass. The groove in the plastic opened up (presumably by repeated heat/cool cycles) and no longer gripped the moulding. The result was that the moulding slapped against the body/glass as air flowed over/under it.

I could have just glued it into place with silicone sealer, but I plan to paint the car sometime and didn't want the hassle of removing the sealer. Instead I wedged some shims between the body and plastic retainer so that the groove closed up enough to grip the moulding. (Time consuming but easily reversible.)

That stopped the noise.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I noticed yesterday that my seal/molding was just like you described. Easy to lift up in one place but tight in others. Mine is loose exactly where the sound is coming from and that makes sense it would flap around in the wind and make strange noises. I will get that seal secured and see if that fixes the noise. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Windshield cracking/separating