Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Recovering

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash Recovering

I have a line on a used dash, I want to recover in leather my self, I know they make a metal vent cover but can you get at the bottom/underneath of the dash for glueing? I would fill any cracks with silicone, then install the leather.
I know this has been discussed before but I have never seen any thing about the under side of these vents
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 AM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see an actual wright up on how to do a whole dash recovery from scratch. We kind of have bits and pieces everywhere.....If you are doing this, take pics and post. It would be super helpful....
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
James Chimney
Pro

Will do
Originally Posted by szabon
I would love to see an actual wright up on how to do a whole dash recovery from scratch. We kind of have bits and pieces everywhere.....If you are doing this, take pics and post. It would be super helpful....
Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

You need to bend up the metal tabs on the underside of the vent, remove the plastic vent, drill the holes for the metal strips studs, mount the strip, re-install the vent, and bend the tabs back down... easy as kitten pie!

we didn't take many pictures when we did my first one, but I DO have a second re-cover coming up...

BTW, I cleaned up teh strip with paint thinner, let it dry, used rattle can flat black to spray the strip... has held up great for almost a year now!

Couple places to be careful to bodn down the new skin:

left of the gauge cluster... couple of compund curves here that will want to lift if not bonded really well
lowest edge of the dash board... I need to re-glue mine
the glove box door... its a real pain to cover well because of the tight radiuses on the edges

the main body of the dash is actually pretty easy to cover well, just make sure you smooth out the dash surface real well... I used angel hair infused body filler for this, and smoothed the entire dash... other than the lower edge and a small bubble to the left of the dash cluster it has held up really well, and noone even notices the flaws that I see every time I get into the car!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default dash

Consider that the leather will shrink and dry out on you. Have done a leather dash and other parts on my 911 only to need to pull it all off and go back with vinyl when the leather got sun dried and pulled loose. If you use leather it should be firmly stapled or screwed down on the back side and should not have top side convex curves to conform to.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default not

Originally Posted by James Chimney
I I would fill any cracks with silicone, then install the leather.
You do not want silicone in those cracks you wont get anytning to bond to it .
Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure exactly what your asking, but the metal defroster vent I installed (from Classic 9) bolts to the dash. Very easy to reach the bolts on the bottom of the dash - just turn it over while it's on your work bench . Also, the old plastic cover needs to come off and you use Bondo (IIRC) to fill the cracks. Clarks garage has a good write-up on how to remove the dash. Time consuming but pretty easy. My 17 YO daughter & I recovered her dash over a weekend.
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
James Chimney
Pro

I was asking can I drape the leather or vinyl over the vent holes and cut them and glue them under with out that "defroster vent ", has any one done that?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

those vent holes are really small. I think it would be virtually impossible to do it that way (and look decent). The metal vent was less than $100 and worth every penny.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Duston944
Instructor

I tried to do just that and after a month in the heat, this is the result. Now i need the vent trim and I have to pull the dash again to fix this mess. Should have used a high temp glue.

Quick Reply: Dash Recovering