Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ID this leak: pour coolant into reservoir, coolant starts pissing onto the ground...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ID this leak: pour coolant into reservoir, coolant starts pissing onto the ground...

Just when I thought I had all my coolant issues resolved...

Obviously you'd look at the bottom of the reservoir, but it's brand new as of a couple months ago and has been working great- no visible leaks. If I shine a flashlight down the turbo coolant pump (which was just replaced last spring with 2 new hoses), I can see coolant heavily dripping onto the ground immediately after I pour some in with the engine running (reached running temperature)- pretty much a stream. Nothing visible from the upper or lower coolant tank hoses, the upper of which I just replaced last week. The tank is holding some coolant in the very bottom, but not much. T-fitting to the turbo coolant pump is recent within the last year.

Tele-tale signs: starting on the top of the reservoir, there is coolant overspray (dried in white spots after a hot summer afternoon) everywhere around that side of the engine bay as if it got too pressurized after my lunch break today... the car is now leaking without the coolant tank expanding to the top, so did it get that way before, and blow something out at the bottom? I lost at least a gallon after my lunch run in my parking spot at work- even had the guy next to me come by my desk and notify me about it (it even ran under his tires). It's coming from below the turbo and above the driver's control arm... It's not the heater control valve as it and its hoses were replaced by me last month. Leak is definitely on the driver's side. Source is invisible from the top of the bay in daylight- my ramps are conveniently too tall (Rhinos) so I can't get under the damn thing.

I left the car at work and am planning to tow it to my indy at lunch... A couple pics tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant fitting on the outboard side of the turbo, it's just an elbow that attaches to a reducer fitting into the turbo center section. I bet it is corroded or has a hose clamp that let loose.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That, or the seal in the turbo coolant pump are my guesses. Hope you're able to find and fix it quickly!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

I was worried it might be around the turbo. How hard is this to get at? I'm assuming just take off the intake manifold and I'm there where I can get at these fittings?

The turbo coolant pump was just replaced last spring along with its two hoses.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a coolant pressure tester. Pump it up and see the leak. Beats guessing.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Yeah it's probably about time to do this. I'll see if I can stop at AutoZone and give this a shot.

There can't be many more hoses left that I haven't already replaced this year...
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Here you can see the coolant overspray dried on- wasn't like this before it all pissed out after lunch yesterday. It got onto the big intake hose, the back of the driver's headlight, small puddle on top of the AC window glass, the turbo coolant pump, that whole area. Since it's all over the top of the coolant reservoir including the cap, it's like the cap started venting like crazy while some other hose (yeah, maybe near the turbo) blew out.

Something odd to point out- the coolant left at the bottom of the reservoir, even when you put more in, only fills on the side behind a partition closest to the turbo coolant pump... only when the car is moved does the coolant flow down to the very bottom closest to the headlamp. Haven't ever noticed that before- usually the whole thing fills up just like a bottle.

Not sure I can make it to the closest auto parts store for a pressure test- have a dr. appointment at 2:00p today so I'm taking the afternoon off and hoping to have a decision made by then of towing this home or towing it to the shop... Have also been concerned about the condition of the head gasket and was planning on taking it to the indy this weekend anyway for another set of eyes and also have him spot weld an exhaust leak I've got. Leaning toward shop tow.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Damn, you guys are good. Decided to have it towed to be safe, and it is indeed the inlet hose that goes into the pipe on the turbo. Parts, labor, refill, $180, ready in the morning. Sold.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

About 10 more hoses and you wil have them all done - and start back replacing hoses at the beginning again.

I am kidding - mostly .
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 AM
TurnerJ
Racer

I had the same problem...

Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes these cars mark their territory like a dog. :P
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Ayup. That's about what it looked like indeed.

Luckily, DFW is getting some strong rainstorms tonight! Should wash it all away and... ehhh... well... at least I recycle...

Quick Reply: ID this leak: pour coolant into reservoir, coolant starts pissing onto the ground...