Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sound deadening

Hey, anyone here ever replace there sound deadening material. My 87 na has the usual road noise, and I am removing the interior during the restoration. So I thought while I am in there I would tackle that one too. Any recommendations on what material to use or any suggestions would be great.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Good noise isolation comes from creating a barrier, not by adding mass. In car audio for years we used mass loading techniques, which is great for killing vibration(resonance), but doesn't reduce road noise much. These days ppl are starting to wise up and are using barrier technology. There are many brands and I have always used like stinger roadkill or dynamat extreme but these guys have hit the market and look like they have a decent product CLICK HERE.

I have never used it and I think it should work well but although more expensive, going for the other brands is a safe bet, just use the best you can afford, and going multiple layers will increase the effectiveness.
good luck with the project
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce is right on, and I've been really happy with B-Quiet products for years.

For reference, it will take you around 50 square feet of B-Quiet Ultimate to fully treat the interior, and two sheets of V-comp barrier (one for the trunk, one for the floor pan and transmission tunnel).

For best results, get a plastic bag of dry ice, set it on the existing sound deadening on the floors of the foot wells to let it freeze hard and hit it with a rubber mallet to break it up before applying new viscoelastic deadener.

Fergus (fbgh2o) did a great writeup in the turbo forum using these very products.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm slowly finishing up my car with Raammat. Its pretty amazing stuff, and the price is fantastic.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

Its incredibly easy to work with as well.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening