Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: Proper Budget Rear Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much MAGK, figured you could answer my questions. So 300# rear with tortion delete would be a lil stiffer than stock and match my current 200# up front nicely? Did some researching, I don't think I've ever seen somebody do a torsion delete with less than 400#?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm thinking about this method but will probably delete the TB and run 550lb springs in the rear, I have 300 up front.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Butters944
Thanks much MAGK, figured you could answer my questions. So 300# rear with tortion delete would be a lil stiffer than stock and match my current 200# up front nicely? Did some researching, I don't think I've ever seen somebody do a torsion delete with less than 400#?
Search for Van's post on calculating spring rate on torsion bars vs coilovers, quite a good explanation.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSilver944
Search for Van's post on calculating spring rate on torsion bars vs coilovers, quite a good explanation.
+1 Van has a lot more real world experience than I do. Plus what works out in theory doesn't always have the desired results in practice.

I'm running 200F/350R coilovers on one of my (street) cars and it works for me but I only have one comparison to go by, the rest is theory.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Can't find vans post
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Has there been an update from robstahs suspension part 2 thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-part-2-a.html

I searched around but didn't see any details on how the torsion bar delete worked with those coils.

I'm planning on building some of these soon but if I could do a torsion bar delete I would much prefer that over a TB/coil combo. Aside from the custom spacer, it doesn't look like that would cost much more than the coil build in this thread.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jharding
Yes, early 944 steel arm has been figured out. I assume you are talking rear suspension. I have the coil-over kits, springs, and an entire torsion bar delete rear carrier that will fit an early 944. Or you can get just the early shock coil-over kits from me and buy lower spring rate springs to use with your current torsion bars. Although I don't know what the advantage of keeping your torsion bars is, as you'll still only get to lower as far as the eccentric will let you without re-indexing the torsion bars.

But, back to the program. PM me if interested in the coil-overs and/or torsion carrier. I used that set up for years in DE. The car handled great.
I shot you a PM about early coils, if you didn't get it could you please message me some info? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Wait, so the original posted guide will work on an early car won't it? Since you're modifying a strut that will fit, the whole idea can work on any year 944, right?

Also I'm gonna leave an earlier thread on this topic here for future reference.

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=695547
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Great write, and thread!

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

First: I currently have the Koni sports on my S2, with the adjustable-height struts up front (200-lb. springs) and sports shocks in the rear. It seemed one of the posts noted it wouldn't be a good idea to run the Koni's up front and the Bilsteins in the rear. Did I read that right? Different valving, I guess?

Second: I may be completely mis-understanding how the forces on these coilovers act, but it seems to me the force of the spring is acting on the bottom perch, which is attached to the threaded sleeve, which is all sitting on the snap ring. Do I have that right? And if I do, is there no worry about the snap ring failing? (There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of area there.)

Thanks for any/all information!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering the same^
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Great write, and thread!

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

First: I currently have the Koni sports on my S2, with the adjustable-height struts up front (200-lb. springs) and sports shocks in the rear. It seemed one of the posts noted it wouldn't be a good idea to run the Koni's up front and the Bilsteins in the rear. Did I read that right? Different valving, I guess?

Second: I may be completely mis-understanding how the forces on these coilovers act, but it seems to me the force of the spring is acting on the bottom perch, which is attached to the threaded sleeve, which is all sitting on the snap ring. Do I have that right? And if I do, is there no worry about the snap ring failing? (There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of area there.)

Thanks for any/all information!
Snap ring is standard practice for Bilstein coilovers. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Has there been an update from robstahs suspension part 2 thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-part-2-a.html

I searched around but didn't see any details on how the torsion bar delete worked with those coils.

I'm planning on building some of these soon but if I could do a torsion bar delete I would much prefer that over a TB/coil combo. Aside from the custom spacer, it doesn't look like that would cost much more than the coil build in this thread.
Bump... Robstah can we get an update on your torsion delete setup?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 PM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

hello,
i came across this write up and without any doubt it is great and shows our ability to innovate - great job!

now i'm going to spoil a good with something ridiculous ...

i'm looking to do this, but can't seem to understand or get around this as stated above ...

"I wish Bilstein would get their act together and make front struts for the later cars (87+.) ..." Justin S2

What do i do if i want bilsteins all around? what is the solution for the front struts?
since i don't have them physically, can bilstein front inserts they be put in another brand of struts or a hack similar to the koni coilover hacks?

any feedback is appreciated.

thanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Alpineace
Pro

for give me if I missed it, but if you have Konis on the rear can this still work?
Also, why dont they just put a lip on the top of the threaded body instead so it can just sit on top of the shock body? then just bond it on.

also If my car weighs 2300lbs, what would be a reasonable rate for the rear(with TB delete) if the fronts are 300?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpineace
for give me if I missed it, but if you have Konis on the rear can this still work?
Also, why dont they just put a lip on the top of the threaded body instead so it can just sit on top of the shock body? then just bond it on.

also If my car weighs 2300lbs, what would be a reasonable rate for the rear(with TB delete) if the fronts are 300?
No, Konis won't work...the shock body is too big. You need 1 7/8" (1.875?) ID springs to fit, it gets tight near the upper mount...bilstein shocks are 36mm I believe, and I want to say konis are around 44. Using a lip on the thread sleeve would give you a very limited amount of adjustability because they aren't very long, plus it would require permanent removal of the dust cap. I have my threaded sleeve about an inch or so above the bottom while running 10" springs, works well and I have great adjustability.
As for spring rate on your setup, I would go with 400 on the rear without the tbs, I'm running 400 with torsion bars in my street car and it's pretty stiff, but hey, it's my fun car and not daily. Next weekend I will be deleting my tb's and running the 400's with my 300 in the front...until I go to 5 in the front, then I have a set of 600 for the rear. I have talked to others running coils all the way around and they like 100lbs more in the rear, seems to get rid of any understeer.

Quick Reply: How-to: Proper Budget Rear Coilover