Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrified - can't figure out what is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I think I have it. The BB idler pulley was set too high. Clarks-Garage says to have a .5mm clearance on the bottom, and it had about 2mm clearance. This was pushing the belt up and over the water pump. The second issue was the timing belt idler pulley. I took it off and spun it while holding it in my hand, and I could hear it spinning. I'm guessing this was the noise. I adjusted the bb idler pulley by placing a gap shim between the pulley and the belt, and I ordered an idler pulley for the timing belt. We will have answers in 3-5 business days.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
szabon
Racer

Nope. Replaced the idler pulley, took it out for a spin, and the noise came back after it heated up. Sounds like an angry bumblebee is what my wife says. So, with the sound going, I rush back home, try tightening and loosening the accessory belts while the car is running - no noise change at all. I turn the car off - take off the accessory belts, and turn it on - viola! The car sounds perfect. So it is something in the accessory belts.

What is my next step? I tried spinning the rollers. The one up top is smooth, the big one to the passenger side, near the power steering, won't move at all, and the one at the bottom moves, but makes noises and is not as easy to turn. Could this by my problem?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Well if any rollers are noisy and rough replace it. As for the noise, if it is an accesory associated item I would bet on alt. Check that first.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 PM
szabon
Racer

how do I check? The alternator is the one at the top right? It spun nice and easy. no sound, nothing. the a/c one spun rough. Is it supposed to spin easy as well?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:04 AM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you still have the belt covers off, I would ensure that the tensioning rollers for the balance belt and the timing belt are each the correct ones, on the 86 models it is easy to accidentally switch the two, and that causes the timing belt to rub against the engine block. (possibly the smell which you are getting) The timing belt tensioner pully should have a lip on the engine side of it, and the balance shaft tensioning pully should have the lip on the side further from the engine.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM
szabon
Racer

the noise is from the accessory belts though...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Probably your A/C compressor.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM
szabon
Racer

not just the bearing? can I just replace the bearing or do I have to do the whole thing?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
szabon
Racer

it would make sence. my ax does not work at all... not even slowing the recalling down when I turn it on...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Wait. You stated pass. side pulley for the accessory belts was not turning? Is the "V" belt?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 AM
szabon
Racer

I don't understand this question. the pulley that both the power steering and the alternator/ac belt are on does not turn by hand, but I think this is normal...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:42 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by szabon
I don't understand this question. the pulley that both the power steering and the alternator/ac belt are on does not turn by hand, but I think this is normal...
Sounds to me like you might need some input from someone a bit more experienced working in and on these cars.... and maybe learn something along the way!

I am busy this weekend, but next is mostly open!

Also have a local group of folks who have been known on occasion to jump in and wrench for fun (and food)...

As for the belts... YES you CAN run without the accessory belts on the car for a short time... I would recommend getting the engine up to temp, and remove the accessory drive belts one at a time to see which on rids you of the sound (if either does)... you can also run the car with the balance belt removed, although you WILL have much more vibration at idle (and off idle).

this will alow you to eliminate potential sources of the hive of bees...

FWIW my bets are, in order:
Balance shaft belt over-tensioned
Alternator bearings
AC Compressor bearings
belt rollers
Power steering pump
Ballance shaft bearings

It isn't rocket science, but can be frustrating to sort out... Let me know if a local can jump in and assist with narrowing down the issues...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
szabon
Racer

I would love a local to help! Dear god am I frustrated! So I have narrowed it down to either the ac or the alternator. I ran without the power steering belt on, warmed it up, and the sound came right back. I then raised it up while it was still hot and took off the ac/alternator belt, and the sound is totally gone! I played with the a/c and the alternator rollers. The alternator roller spins nice, no sounds, nothing, but the ac roller spins a little rough and you can hear it.

I popped the belt back on, and turned the car on and crawled under it to listen. I cannot tell if the sound is coming from the alternator or the a/c for sure, but I feel like it is the a/c. I also started to hear a little scrapping sound every once in a while, like a tiny piece of metal got hit by something.

Also noticed that the roller in front of the a/c that has the notches in it did not spin at all, no matter what. I turned the ac on, and still nothing. My ac does not work either, but I don't really care about that right now, just wanna get the car going right.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM
szabon
Racer

Can I grab some bearings for the compressor and just pop them in to rule that out? Seems like that would be a cheap and easy way to rule one thing out...
Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your AC does not work, just get a used compressor with a good clutch.

It does not pay to replace compressor bearings and the clutch just to get the car running.

If you find a "good" used you can go back later and do the R134a conversion.

John

Quick Reply: Terrified - can't figure out what is wrong