Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix Ball Joint on the Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fix Ball Joint on the Car?

I have read almost all the threads I searched, back to 2002... I have one torn boot - I also have no idea if the ball joints were ever changed so replacing the boot only, seems to be specious - I will order the Rennbay kits, but why do I have to take out the arm? Apart from spending more time on my back on the ground, couldn't I just 'pickle' the ball joint and do it on the car? The glue is held in with a special washer til it sets.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were selling your car? Anyways....Just take the arms off the car, it will be much easier to peplace the bjs. Here's the best instructions Ive found: http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/controlarms.html
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
xsbank
Racer

I don't want to. I may not. I have been finishing up the projects I had started before it got cold and I found a torn boot. I couldn't sell it like this unless it really only is a torn boot. I'm not going to sell it. Anyway it gets a new Rennbay ball joint no matter what. Thanks for replying.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the arms is a pretty easy job. I have found that the best way is as listed below.

Remove front bolt
Remove two rear caster block bolts
Rotate the arm off of the sway bar
Remove pinch bolt and ball pin from spindle.

By leaving the ball joint / spindle connection for last lets you use the leverage of the arm to slide it off the sway bar. It will also allow you to leave the sway bar drop link attached to the arm (one less step).
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How would you get the epoxy to set up with the control arm still in place? You mentioned a washer but I can't picture how to do this. The grease fitting sits higher than the flange of the control arm. FWIW, I did mine off the car. The longest part of the install was waiting on the epoxy to set up.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't see the point of the epoxy on those kits. There is a metal disc protecting the ball joint and the only way water/dirt can get in is if it finds it's way around the circlip holding that disc in place. I used a bead of clear silicon sealant around the circlip area only and it seals fine. It's been there over 3-years and I cannot see any sign of corrosion of the circlip under the silicone. Plus it's much easier to remove if you have to do the job again.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I don't see the point of the epoxy on those kits. There is a metal disc protecting the ball joint and the only way water/dirt can get in is if it finds it's way around the circlip holding that disc in place. I used a bead of clear silicon sealant around the circlip area only and it seals fine. It's been there over 3-years and I cannot see any sign of corrosion of the circlip under the silicone. Plus it's much easier to remove if you have to do the job again.
I've always assumed the epoxy was a "belt and suspenders" to keep the circlip seated. Corrosion could be a concern up north.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
xsbank
Racer

All I've heard is the epoxy is to hold the circlip in place, not a corrosion concern. Also, they provide a 'washer' which presses onto the wet epoxy an holds it in place, giving it a "finished" look (for those who get judged on the looks of their ball joints)...
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast fix

Light cleaning

Normal failure

Blasted arm

Repair kit

Puttig back together

Under car

Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 AM
xsbank
Racer

Where did you get the kit with top and bottom bronze? Most I've seen are only top bronze.

Quick Reply: Fix Ball Joint on the Car?