Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber Plates on Fl-ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like "ticking" noises.

I hate my impulse buying...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

What part of a camber plate causes ticking noise?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Installed about a year ago....
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of you see regular track time on these
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
What part of a camber plate causes ticking noise?
It's not only ticking, these spericals are solid mounts and will transmit all the suspension noise into the body/car. The worst thing about them is the spherical joint, they are accepting the load of the suspension on them and they are not designed to work that way. The factory uses needle bearings there and the good quality camber plates do the same, eg: Ground Control.

Other disadvantages with these are they will raise your ride height about an inch, they don't come with spring top-hats and they cannot do castor with that design.

My advise, make of it what you wish, but if you have a mainly street car that does the occasional DE, stay away from solid bushes, coilovers, camber plates, etc. You are wasting your money. It's your money though so do as you wish
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
It's not only ticking, these spericals are solid mounts and will transmit all the suspension noise into the body/car. The worst thing about them is the spherical joint, they are accepting the load of the suspension on them and they are not designed to work that way. The factory uses needle bearings there and the good quality camber plates do the same, eg: Ground Control.

Other disadvantages with these are they will raise your ride height about an inch, they don't come with spring top-hats and they cannot do castor with that design.

My advise, make of it what you wish, but if you have a mainly street car that does the occasional DE, stay away from solid bushes, coilovers, camber plates, etc. You are wasting your money. It's your money though so do as you wish
I am relatively aware of the purpose and design of camber plates. I have used a couple different brands of camber plates on three different dedicated 944 series race/track cars in over a decade of club racing.

I agree that camber plates and nearly all other solid suspension bushings are not beneficial on street cars (though certain other bushings will detract from ride quality moreso than camber plates).

But I am not certain what kind of "ticking" noise a camber plate causes.....?

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
I agree, even the best brands can produce those annoying ticking noises.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

It all comes down to budget. We would all like a million dollar car but it just isn't practical. So for $75 if it breaks...then so what. And at that price you can get a second set as a spare. As for the raising the car? I have adjustable koni's. And my car is actually at the lowest point i can get it and still make it in my garage.
Still have over 1" left to lower it if i want to.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Oddjob
I am relatively aware of the purpose and design of camber plates. I have used a couple different brands of camber plates on three different dedicated 944 series race/track cars in over a decade of club racing.

I agree that camber plates and nearly all other solid suspension bushings should not be used on street cars.

But I am not certain what kind of "ticking" noise a camber plate causes.....?
I didnt post the "ticking" post and I wouldn't describe it as that myself and if there is any ticking it is drowned out by the other noises. On my track car I get an occasional pop on tight turns so I assume some binding of the top mount. My advise is really to those who are considering fitting these plates on a street car, I'm not concerned about noise on s track car.

Oddjob, I noticed you posted some useful info on camber plates in a previous post: https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=610644&highlight=lindsey+camber+plates
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

On a track car they are very usefull to quickly dial back camber especially if you are like me and drive to the track.
Well, you can't just dial back camber to and from the track either. When you change the camber, it changes the toe (quite significantly I might add). So you have to spend time putting the toe back to what you want.

Since mine is a dual purpose car, I put the camber in "track mode" at the beginning of the season, and put it back to normal at the end. I'm too lazy to do it for every event.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM
esmith904
Advanced

Any thoughts on KLA upper strut mounts (non-adjustable w/spherical bearing) as far as noise and running them on a street car?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Well, you can't just dial back camber to and from the track either. When you change the camber, it changes the toe (quite significantly I might add). So you have to spend time putting the toe back to what you want.

Since mine is a dual purpose car, I put the camber in "track mode" at the beginning of the season, and put it back to normal at the end. I'm too lazy to do it for every event.
Yes, well aware of that and adjust race toe after camber is set. I have a notebook with all the settings for the three sets of wheels I use and marks all over the suspension. Camber plates do make it easy at the track though, adjusting camber by that eccentric is a pain.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine installed some brand new camber plates on his 944 and 3 weeks after had a loud ticking noise. It turned out it was that left spherical joint that failed. I don't want to mention the brand, I don't want to give a bad reputation.

Seafeye.... orange 944,

what kind of rear bumper is on your 944'

I'm looking on making my rear bumper shorter and don't really want to spend the money on a gt racing fiberglass bumper (they are nice, but don't fit my budget right now).

Is that custom made?

thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

... adjusting camber by that eccentric is a pain.
jawohl mein capitan
Old 03-02-2012, 05:40 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by esmith904
Any thoughts on KLA upper strut mounts (non-adjustable w/spherical bearing) as far as noise and running them on a street car?
I have them on my S2 cab. I got them as an alternative to new strut tops since mine were a problem. Wouldn't say it made a difference re road noise or harshness.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Just a stock bumper painted hot rod black. With the bumper rubber removed.

Quick Reply: Camber Plates on Fl-ebay