Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reattaching wires leading to reference sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM
David.N
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reattaching wires leading to reference sensor.

So I replaced the Reference sensor in my car then i noticed the wires going too it are frayed (see exposed wires in attached pictures). So i cut it out now i gotta reattach it properly. Is there any special solder needed if i decided to do that? I was thinking of just using butt connectors because i was told that they last longer cause the solder eventually cracks and the butt connectors keep a tight grip on the wires. so im lookin for some input/ opinions. cause im probably gonna just use butt connectors.

http://www.theexitwound.com/944/speedandref1.jpg
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

solder is almost always 100% better than butt connectors (exception when doing o2 sensor wiring)
Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David.N
So I replaced the Reference sensor in my car then i noticed the wires going too it are frayed (see exposed wires in attached pictures). So i cut it out now i gotta reattach it properly. Is there any special solder needed if i decided to do that? I was thinking of just using butt connectors because i was told that they last longer cause the solder eventually cracks and the butt connectors keep a tight grip on the wires. so im lookin for some input/ opinions. cause im probably gonna just use butt connectors.

http://www.theexitwound.com/944/speedandref1.jpg

There ya go,
Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Commercial-quality crimping tools create a crimped connection that is superior to hard-soldered, but the kind of crimpers most people have... it varies greatly. I like to use an uninsulated butt connector (just the metal sleeve), crimp it, solder it, and heat shrink it. Belt and suspenders. Using an exposed sleeve makes it more likely you're getting the wires all the way in and getting them crimped properly.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Commercial-quality crimping tools create a crimped connection that is superior to hard-soldered, but the kind of crimpers most people have... it varies greatly. I like to use an uninsulated butt connector (just the metal sleeve), crimp it, solder it, and heat shrink it. Belt and suspenders. Using an exposed sleeve makes it more likely you're getting the wires all the way in and getting them crimped properly.
+1
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I like solder and heat shrink, it's the neatest and most compact. Hasn't failed me yet.

Use whatever you're comfortable with, and whatever you can get better results with. I.e., if you suck at soldering, then definitely use butt splices.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 AM
flightline
Instructor

I don't think what you're looking at is fraying wires. Attached is the relavent section of the wiring diagram. Notice how the shielding for the cables goes to pin 3 on the connector. Since this shielding doesn't have it's own insulation, just the gray cable jacket, there is neccisarily an exposed portion before it enteres the heatshrink and goes into the connector body. I think that's what you're looking at. If the other two wires look ok, I'd leave it alone.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That wire going to pin 3 apprears to be for the oxy sensor and these wires are not part of that. The round connector goes to the Oxy sensor. If the wire's not broken and the adjacent wire is ok, I'd cut a piece of larger wire covering and pull it off, cut it down the middle, wrap the exposed part between this and the good wire and, using silicone, place it between the two and after it sets up place the cover over the wires. It'll be like new. If the wire's damaged, then expose clean wire on both ends, wrap the ends around each other at least one twist (with the shrink tubing installed before you do this) then do a good job of soldering the joint and then slide and heat the shrink tube. Mechanically it's a very strong and long lasting joint.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM
samsonevickis
Intermediate

Sorry to chime in so late in the game, but I am going to be doing this soon.

Which route did you go with and how have your results been?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

The best solution is to get the new speed and reference sensor harness from Lindsay. This will give you new wiring all the way back to the DME connector. It may seem a bit intimidating, but it's not that difficult; you remove 5 connector pins out of the DME connector and replace them with the new pins in the new harness, then just route the new wires up to the sensors. They have full instructions with pics on the site. Honestly - for the amount of grief that these sensors can cause, it's a well spent $100.

Quick Reply: reattaching wires leading to reference sensor.