Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Home made transmission cooler (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/677759-home-made-transmission-cooler.html)

Van 01-29-2012 11:53 PM

Home made transmission cooler
 
5 Attachment(s)
I wanted to add a tranny cooler to my race car, but it's a non-cooler transmission... so I decided to put in a more conventional cooler with an electric pump.

I modified a drain plug so I could attach an AN fitting. I also took off the end cap of the transmission and tapped a hole for another fitting (where the stock cooler returns).

Luckily, this car already had the spare tire well removed, so I didn't have to do any of that. I did have to cut two rectangular holes in the blanking plate that was installed... and I had to make some brackets/studs to hold the cooler (RX7 oil cooler) and pump. I thought long and hard about how to get airflow over the cooler, and decided on putting NACA ducts in the side windows and then duct that air over the top of the cooler so it exits under the car. E.g. I'm hoping the air moves from a high pressure area to a low pressure area.

The pump is a gear-driven oil scavenge pump... hopefully it's up to the task.

Then I did a little tin knocking and made up a baffle that will help seal the cooler so the air goes where I want.

Van 01-29-2012 11:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Once my baffle was in place, it was time to put air ducts in the trunk - again, these will direct air to the top of the cooler. I think this will still give me enough space in the trunk for my gas cans (a convenient place to put then when I trailer to the track).

And, finally, how it will be with the RX7 oil cooler in place. (I still need to make up the plumbing and finish the wiring.)

I think it'll do the trick!

pa944red 01-30-2012 12:47 AM

Looks good.

It appears the pump is above the trans output, any concerns with it loosing its prime?

Tom

odurandina 01-30-2012 02:26 AM

Good work Van.

Van 01-30-2012 08:04 AM


Originally Posted by pa944red (Post 9230151)
Looks good.

It appears the pump is above the trans output, any concerns with it loosing its prime?

Tom

Yes - I'll have a check valve after the fitting on the drain plug.

Lemming 01-30-2012 09:56 AM

Looks great, let us know how it works? I assume you will be adding a thermostat?

Van 01-30-2012 11:07 AM

Yes, I'm going to put a thermostatic switch on the transmission (that's what the green wires hanging down are for). But I'm a little unsure what temp setting to go with... I have a switch now that's 140 degrees...

V2Rocket 01-30-2012 11:25 AM

looks good. i'd be interested in knowing how the RX cooler works with the thicker juice of the transmission oil. are you measuring trans fluid temperature with sensors? i have a factory cooler on my trans that i'd like to get rid of if there were a better option such as this.

what size lines/fittings are you running? the factory cooler cant be more than roughly a -10 or -12

xschop 01-30-2012 01:32 PM

Great pics Van. I am going to install a laminar flow double-pass radiator on the trans to keep the install simple. From experience the viscosity of the gear oil is too high for some of the radiator designs that have thin tube wall.

LuigiVampa 01-30-2012 02:02 PM

I'm curious if you got a temperature of the fluid before you did this work so you could see how much it went down? Awesome work.

Hollywood D 01-30-2012 02:14 PM

Top notch work as always

car_slave 01-30-2012 10:29 PM

Exciting project.
I was just surfing the web and found a kit for a 911 which might work - I'm sure your's was cheaper.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1690/

Van 01-30-2012 11:57 PM


Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944 (Post 9230865)
looks good. i'd be interested in knowing how the RX cooler works with the thicker juice of the transmission oil. are you measuring trans fluid temperature with sensors? i have a factory cooler on my trans that i'd like to get rid of if there were a better option such as this.

what size lines/fittings are you running? the factory cooler cant be more than roughly a -10 or -12

-10AN



Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 9231335)
I'm curious if you got a temperature of the fluid before you did this work so you could see how much it went down? Awesome work.

I don't have a temperature record yet... but I'm thinking of getting some of these: http://paperthermometer.com/pages/indust.html#8temp



Originally Posted by car_slave (Post 9232958)
Exciting project.
I was just surfing the web and found a kit for a 911 which might work - I'm sure your's was cheaper.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1690/

Yeah, I was looking at that. I probably have $250-$300 into it.

Van 02-03-2012 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the lines hooked up. :)

Next step is to run power to the motor and check for leaks.

Thom 02-11-2014 07:18 AM

Bump... What kind of oil temp are you seeing and how has the pump been standing the heat?


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 08:55 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands