Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch glass problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
The Porsche struts were made by Sachs, as are the replacements that I buy at way less than Porsche prices, enough that I can get a couple of tanks of gas.

That's why I use "after market" stuff.
Exactly.
99% of the time buying OEM is the same item. Porsche didn't add any value to it other than having it branded with their logo and handling it through their supply chain. That doesn't make it "better", just more expensive. That authenticity may be critical for concours, but not the typical daily driver/weekend toy.

Buying OEM and buying aftermarket off-brand/knockoff are two distinct things.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:58 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the time comes to replace the stock Porsche struts, I install Sachs hatch strut SG214008 from the 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L 258cid L6 vehicle. The Sachs struts are listed on Rock Auto.

They are about 15-20 lbs lower force than the factory ones. They will lift the window, or will need a tiny bit of lifting assistance, to raise and hold the hatch all the way up.

My hatch glass is still bonded to the frame and shows no sign of separating.
Give this man a metal!! I just installed these and they are perfect! Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Padhammer
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone know if Porsche "corrected" this problem with the 968?
Old 10-23-2016, 01:33 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you think you are only dealing with a hatch strut problem causing delam, this is a fallacy that's been bandied about since the car's introduction .......

In about 1985 or '86, our local Porsche service tech showed us at a Tech Session at the dealership during one of our local PCA events, Porsche 'White-paper' on the causes and cures for delamination that had already begun to show itself on cars only a year or two old.

ONE handing the glass shut, slamming it when cold in winter, or using incorrect gas struts with pressure different from what the factory supplied parts contained, were the main points listed on that service advisory. The service tech walked over to one of the cars in the service bay and then asked us, how we shut our hatches.

The techs were instructed to tell the owner the correct way was to place both hands directly over the latch pins on the rear spoiler and snug down slowly. One handing it by the center of the hatch spoiler often creates an unequal or twisting motion. A delam is made worse by the wind thrusting the glass skyward on opening, or the speed at which it's closed, especially when cold and the gas strut is being 'forced'. Using the automatic opener in the footwell was not recommended on a windy day.

He showed us aftermarket struts which he had just taken off a car which were new and so overloaded in pressure they were far in excess of what an OEM strut contained for closing power.

It made up my mind right then and there, I will skip the few bucks saved on a part which causes more problems and costs me more grief and money by delaminating my glass. From then on I used caution when opening on windy days or closed the hatch slowly with two hands, never one. When the glass comes apart at the top it lets in water, which will ruin your hatch carpet. Creates wind noise or causes the glass to shift downward altering the latching position at the pins, causing alignment and closure problems.

Use what you want, but this problem has been around since the cars were built new back in the day and a good Porsche tech familiar with the 944 and it's issues will be one of the first to agree the proper part is the shortcut to your problems. Proper attention to opening and closing is a must. Especially now that most of our cars are 30 to 33 years old.

None of mine have hatch delamination issues and never have had, due to proper prior owner care and attention. They all have Porsche struts in them; a couple still have the originals. For certain the ones I bought new still are the same from the day the cars were built .....

Of course your mileage may vary ......
jm2c
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (08-31-2020)
Old 10-23-2016, 02:31 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Sound advice and common sense too. The Porsche approved technique you described is my routine every time I use my hatch, only because I've always considered it the weakest part of the design. Unfortunately my mileage still did vary.

I spent my Sunday morning changing back to my original hatch. The '86 Turbo hatch I was using separated from the frame at the top and developed some chips in the glass. The autoglass shop I asked for help from said the hatch glass was toughened, not laminated (so it can't 'delaminate'), and could shatter into pieces at any given time.
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2016, 02:55 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^

that is a fairly uncommon car seen in North America. You may have gotten more than we did; I know the Europeans surely did.

A sunroof delete in Sapphire or Glacier Blue metallic. Beautiful !

GREAT shot looking down ~
Thanks for posting these photos and good luck with the new / old hatch. ( by delam I was actually referring to the glass coming out of the metal frame, not the separation of glass from the vinyl sheet in between ).
Old 10-23-2016, 03:00 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When the time comes to replace the stock Porsche struts, I install Sachs hatch strut SG214008 from the 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L 258cid L6 vehicle. The Sachs struts are listed on Rock Auto.

They are about 15-20 lbs lower force than the factory ones. They will lift the window, or will need a tiny bit of lifting assistance, to raise and hold the hatch all the way up.

Thanks, brilliant tip!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:52 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
A sunroof delete in Sapphire or Glacier Blue metallic. Beautiful !

GREAT shot looking down ~
Thanks for posting these photos and good luck with the new / old hatch.
Thanks its crystal green metallic. It's an unusual colour but it plays well in the light. Todays sunlight was very intense and it washed out my phones camera.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (08-31-2020)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:30 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, nice car!
Old 08-30-2020, 09:31 PM
cnikols
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After repairing the hatch a third time, I replaced the struts which separated the glass with the Jeep Wrangler struts. They are a lot softer and still hold up the hatch. Cost less than $30 for the pair as well. No creaking and it looks like everything is holding in place. Thank you!! This was a God send.

The only warning is that the passenger strut has a small cap and plastic insulator that opens the circuit for the internal lights when the hatch is closed. You can swap these over from the originals to the jeep struts, it takes careful splitting and then some electrical tape after the transplant to hold in the plastic insulator to the strut. I had to cut the original with a blade. Took less than an hour for the whole effort.

Last edited by cnikols; 08-30-2020 at 09:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cnikols:
Elew502 (01-13-2022), Karl_W944 (08-31-2020), mazdaverx7 (08-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Rear hatch glass problem