Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Other Cars Suit Us After a 951,944, 968

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those late Esprits are still so attractive. Not a bad thought if a good example is found. I like the M-Coupe idea, perhaps even a 1M? The 993 is the ultimate next step out of this era for us methinks, but if it's a game of catchup you're after with Father Time, may I make a recommendation out of left field that would be fun as all get out, reliable, as fast as you can stand without breaking the bank? Even new?

Audi TT-RS.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:26 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Those late Esprits are still so attractive. Not a bad thought if a good example is found. I like the M-Coupe idea, perhaps even a 1M? The 993 is the ultimate next step out of this era for us methinks, but if it's a game of catchup you're after with Father Time, may I make a recommendation out of left field that would be fun as all get out, reliable, as fast as you can stand without breaking the bank? Even new?

Audi TT-RS.
You know I have been down this road before. Like you are now. But you are traveling well my friend.

Way back when I tried an TT. Whew they are small for me though. The German iron P cars are just a better fit.

Of course the Ford works too.

As for the earlier 911's, or the 993 I could always pick up ALL the parts at the same time, right. One stop shopping. LOL!

Happy Holidays Chris. Next time I am passing in D we have to get to Javiers or over to Bubba Cook for some talking and crunching.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Indeed and to you as well! And I agree- you probably have too much Porsche decor to throw out. Get a 993.

http://sloancars.com/
http://inventory.racperformance.com/...-Texas/892463/
http://inventory.racperformance.com/...-Texas/876480/
Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it that you dislike about the Corvette?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 516 Posts

the rubbermaid interior and the owner stereotype...spare gold chains in the glovebox
Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i've had Corvettes and i personally think they are a great all around car. some owners are snobby rats, just like some Porsche owners. its anywhere you go really. but also like Porsche owners, the community is strong and the group of people willing to help you and enjoy your company is an out of this world awesome group. the downside of the Corvette is and always has been the el cheapo interior plastics. heck, next spring when the car is out of storage, i'm buying back the last one that i had. guy said he wants me to have it back and he needs a few bucks to finish the resto on a new house he bought. i absolutely LOVED the car:

Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the rubbermaid interior and the owner stereotype...spare gold chains in the glovebox
Oddly, that's still the case; I think the average Corvette owner must be in his early 60s!

If I had to replace my 951, I'd try to stay in the family and go with a Cayman. I'm trying to steer my wife toward a Cayman when it's time for her to replace her car in a couple years, but she's holding out for a Cajun (she loves my Cayenne, except that it's a tad too big for her comfort).

If I couldn't stay in the family, my short list would include the Audi TT, the RX8 and the Z3. Or, I might just have a late 80s Mustang GT tastefully restored and mildly modded...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Oddly, that's still the case; I think the average Corvette owner must be in his early 60s!

If I had to replace my 951, I'd try to stay in the family and go with a Cayman. I'm trying to steer my wife toward a Cayman when it's time for her to replace her car in a couple years, but she's holding out for a Cajun (she loves my Cayenne, except that it's a tad too big for her comfort).

If I couldn't stay in the family, my short list would include the Audi TT, the RX8 and the Z3. Or, I might just have a late 80s Mustang GT tastefully restored and mildly modded...
Having owned a TT, I would never do that again!

Quattro is amazing, but to have to tolerate all the other shortcomings to get it is ridiculous!

In many ways I am glad it was totaled... by a 10MPH accident!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
ltdan12a
Instructor

*new guy puts on his flame suit*

You know, compared to a 944, I would think the new Subaru BRZ and it's Scion cousin that are coming out next year will be very comparable, in weight, power, and balance....
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

A 944 is a rear wheel drive, fun to drive, 2+2 hatchback that came with 150 to 250 hp from a 4 cylinder. How a Cayman, Vette, or 911, etc. is similar is beyond me. They may have some attributes but not all of them.

As I rack my brain the closest thing out there is a 240sx. The FR-S / BRZ would be the closest you'll get to a modern day 944 (just missing the hatchback utility). It has 2+2 layout, RWD, minimum electronic nannies and a 100% defeat-able stability assist, fun to drive, and comes with a 200 HP 4 cylinder (boxer in this config). The only thing it lacks is the hatchback layout.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaje
A 944 is a rear wheel drive, fun to drive, 2+2 hatchback that came with 150 to 250 hp from a 4 cylinder. How a Cayman, Vette, or 911, etc. is similar is beyond me. They may have some attributes but not all of them.

As I rack my brain the closest thing out there is a 240sx. The FR-S / BRZ would be the closest you'll get to a modern day 944 (just missing the hatchback utility). It has 2+2 layout, RWD, minimum electronic nannies and a 100% defeat-able stability assist, fun to drive, and comes with a 200 HP 4 cylinder (boxer in this config). The only thing it lacks is the hatchback layout.
Those cars might have similar characteristics on paper, but the OP asked which cars are suitable for ex-944 owners. 200hp is definitely a step backwards for most 951 owners. Not to mention the inevitable downgrade in engineering and driving feel going from a Porsche to a Japanese import.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting discussion.
I've been thinking about something to drive in winter other than the Jeep or my wifes Volvo V70XC to replace the 944 for winter, the top runner is a 996 Carrera 4 followed by an Audi tt ( i need 4 wheel sometimes to get out the drive). But if I leave the 4 wheel out of the equation the problem I have as a daily driver is a fun interesting coupe that can easily carry a large laptop bag / back pack (ie space behind the seats) and occasional engineering samples and prototypes( ie hatch back), this cuts out the Cayman even the 996 isn't as practical but I'm not sold on the Audi.
I did rent a BMW 1 series M sport turbo diesel in the UK for 2 weeks and if they sold that over here I'd buy one, ugly but huge fun on twisty english roads and 45mpg!!! but the local dealer says they can't get the diesel
I want to drive the Hyundai Triburon dare I mention that name is the same context as a Porsche theres also the Volvo C30.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the dime...a clean Boxster S is a great car. Scratch that, an amazing car. IMS bearings are way overblown (pun?) in frequency of failures, but their replacement is a piece of cake. I would have a Boxter in a second, and change the IMS bearing the first weekend after I bought it. It is easy peasy to replace. I've done many of them. The aircooled 911 is arguably the best car you will find in a hobbyist point of view. As for handling, they will outperform a 951 in every capacity. Right now, 964s are at an all time low and probably represent the most car for the money at any price. Any aircooled 911 will surpass a 951 in reliability if it is properly sorted and properly maintained.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
running_cold924
Racer

ltdan12a - Good point, the new subie does look promising.

also, got to drive a 98 nsx for a couple days and had a blast in that car. very tossable yet easily controlled. The price tag is still a bit high for me though. I just like owning cars that you don't see on the road everyday. the jeep is my exception though...had it since high school and am now 26. It and I have been through a lot...and also the fact i will never get out of it what I have in it defeats the purpose in selling it.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
On the dime...a clean Boxster S is a great car. Scratch that, an amazing car. IMS bearings are way overblown (pun?) in frequency of failures, but their replacement is a piece of cake. I would have a Boxter in a second, and change the IMS bearing the first weekend after I bought it. It is easy peasy to replace. I've done many of them. The aircooled 911 is arguably the best car you will find in a hobbyist point of view. As for handling, they will outperform a 951 in every capacity. Right now, 964s are at an all time low and probably represent the most car for the money at any price. Any aircooled 911 will surpass a 951 in reliability if it is properly sorted and properly maintained.
You are going to come up against some heavy arguments over that statement.

The 944/951 will run circles around any 911 made before the mid-90s.

70's and 80's 911s were pure junk... That's why the 928 was invented, and why the 944 saved the company. 911's have only been great driver's cars in the last 10-15 years.

Quick Reply: What Other Cars Suit Us After a 951,944, 968