Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube rebuild, all bearings at once?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
+1000 on Constantine's bearings. Diminishing quality in parts (OEM and Factory) are making our cars more difficult to own. VERY few products surpass the factory in quality and function, but there are a handful out there. Constantine's bearings are what they should have been from the start.
As I said to Constantine not long ago and I'll say again here; one of the best things about being a retired/self employed engineer is you have the opportunity to do things right. Nobody looking over your shoulder trying to cut costs and shorten development schedules at the expense of product quality.

It's wonderful to find other people who share that dream and those rewards. Excellence is still expected some places
Old 04-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Well guys, between work and weather, It's been a trying two weeks to get the TT bearings out of the "tube". I used a 1/2" threaded rod and nuts and an impact wrench..The forcing nut, although well lubed stripped the threaded rod..So I've gone to a heat treated 1/2" X20 rod with various fitting nuts...I haven't had a chance to try it out yet..At first I tried pulling all the bearings out the bellhousing end...They got up to about 4" from the end and stuck...so I reversed the procedure, and pulled them about 2/3rds of the way back down to the Transmission end of the tube and they stuck again..I will try the soapy water trick next, even though the tube is well lubed with various lubricants...I will keep all posted on how this goes..If you have a LARGE vise, it would help a lot...to keep the TT from turning...

Quick Reply: Torque tube rebuild, all bearings at once?