Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944/924s intake modifacation discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944/924s intake modifacation discussion

i have a feeling i know what this topic Will try to turn into, another "buy a turbo"or a "N/A cant make power don't waste your money/time" topic but for us who like the car we have and like to tinker i ask you this......... i am planning on over halling the hole intake system in my car some day down the road and what the rennlisters input....so here we go i am going to post pics i have found that show the ideas i would like to combined to make this system work starting from the head out.

1. i would go for a full head job from LR stage 3 or 4.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/LRHEADS.html

2. A custom intake similar to this but with out the house clams and with the TB running strait out at the center of the engine compartment
http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-in...d-take2-2.html

3. new bigger aftermarket TB .......i saw a topic somewhere where someone used an 80mm ebay TB on a stock 944 n/a just cant find it ATM but they said that it worked.....

4. MAF kit from LR
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...RFLOWKITS.html

5. now for the fun stuff after i goto fixed GT lights and a fiber glass hood with hood-pins(mod wont work unless this is done first) i would like to make the hole nose panel into the air-box kinda like this one i found on a 944 on ebay but with out the cone filter i would cut up some K&N flat filter to seal the nose vent
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5...roseboz3yc.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3...hpwjmcboz3.jpg

and that would be it in a nut shell so what do you think of the concept and let me know if the links don't work
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay i'm not sure how much you know about moding these cars or moding in cars in general but once you get the stage 3 or 4 head you'll need a custom cam shaft to get the most of the head. With the Intake, you'll need a custom (not off the shelf) intake made to the specs of your new head and camshaft.

For the MAF, you'll need a wideband o2 sensor to tune it to your engine since it's an N/A and that's made for the turbo. But you can look into this http://www.roguetuning.com/944_maf_kit_sd-tune%C2%A9
But you'll need to upgrade to the later DME to use it and requires no tuning. You could also talk to Josh in using the MAF from the turbo since it's 3" on both sides with out bolts and can be able to use it inline with couplers. If you look to the right of the engine bay there's a hole there from the airbox where it gets the cold air from, if your get the pipes to go there and get the filter between the fender, you'll get cool air from outside and it's a high pressure zone which is good.

Last edited by Paulyy; 10-09-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
nasty9er
Racer

i already upgraded to a bigger cam when i did the top end rebuild and yes i know i left alot out of my first post i didnt want to make it to long

with the MAF i know i need to go to the wideband and that it will have to be plumed up diffrently

i will be doing alot of R/D on the intake that is just the closese thing i can find to what i am going for

there are many mod that i will be doing befor this intake happins like new MSD box and fuel system upgrade

this topic is just putting the idea out there and trying to get as much info as i can

but thx for the input
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

I'm assuming your car is an N/A.

Intake wise I plan on using one of these and run my intake straight under the header pannel. Use a cone filter and modify the little ramp that pushes cool air into the intercooler on the turbos.

We'll see if it works.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 AM
nasty9er
Racer

thats very close to the same plan i have any idea on the intake build?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by nasty9er
i have a feeling i know what this topic Will try to turn into, another "buy a turbo"or a "N/A cant make power don't waste your money/time" topic but for us who like the car we have and like to tinker i ask you this......... i am planning on over halling the hole intake system in my car some day down the road and what the rennlisters input....so here we go i am going to post pics i have found that show the ideas i would like to combined to make this system work starting from the head out.

1. i would go for a full head job from LR stage 3 or 4.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/LRHEADS.html

2. A custom intake similar to this but with out the house clams and with the TB running strait out at the center of the engine compartment
http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-in...d-take2-2.html

3. new bigger aftermarket TB .......i saw a topic somewhere where someone used an 80mm ebay TB on a stock 944 n/a just cant find it ATM but they said that it worked.....

4. MAF kit from LR
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...RFLOWKITS.html

5. now for the fun stuff after i goto fixed GT lights and a fiber glass hood with hood-pins(mod wont work unless this is done first) i would like to make the hole nose panel into the air-box kinda like this one i found on a 944 on ebay but with out the cone filter i would cut up some K&N flat filter to seal the nose vent
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5...roseboz3yc.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3...hpwjmcboz3.jpg

and that would be it in a nut shell so what do you think of the concept and let me know if the links don't work
i think youd end up spending 5 or 6 thousand dollars and gain about 5hp
Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i think youd end up spending 5 or 6 thousand dollars and gain about 5hp
That's when id go higher comp and higher octane fuels with a real good tune. IMO the stock head flows pretty good for N/A applications
Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
That's when id go higher comp and higher octane fuels with a real good tune. IMO the stock head flows pretty good for N/A applications
even then youd only have like 4 hp.

then again, you could start with a 944S 2.5, bump its compression up, get rid of the stupid factory intake, and put some higher-rpm cams in it and make a screamer
Old 10-05-2011, 12:04 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

thats very close to the same plan i have any idea on the intake build?
Not yet. It's on the to do list after I get done doing all my mataince done this winter. I've got an intake building kit that has different lengths straights and bends. After I get it sorted I'll get the it bent. Then use a cone, probably an AEM dry flow, filter under the header pannel and maybe fabricate a heat shield around it. On the turbos the intercooler is there with a ramp the pushes air from the in fornt of the raditior up into it. I know the S2s also have an air box there. If someone has a picture of what that looks like and would post it that'd be great.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Also thought about adding a 931 header pannel.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be expensive and may not make really big power, but if you want do it go for it. It is your car and your money.

Personally if I did a custom intake I would also do individual throttle bodies. I really would not care for the power gains, but more for the "cool factor". Then again I would the chances of my actually doing something like this are two. Slim and none. I have other priorities with time and money right now.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

even then youd only have like 4 hp.

then again, you could start with a 944S 2.5, bump its compression up, get rid of the stupid factory intake, and put some higher-rpm cams in it and make a screamer
that'll be good! but $$$$
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the 931 panel should be for looks only, the location of those vents is actually not a good place for air intake
the S2s draw intake air from the same area that the turbos have intercooler feed, the top slot in the front bumper which is a high pressure area
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
that'll be good! but $$$$
yea, but blowing money on a 16v 190hp motor versus an 8v 140hp motor will go further
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

yea, but blowing money on a 16v 190hp motor versus an 8v 140hp motor will go further
oh easy! but we are talking about 8v in this thread. and the stock bottom end wont handle the RPM.

Id look at rebuilding the bottom end rods and pistons and go for a slightly higher compression and run higher octane before i do head work.

It'll freshen up the bottom end and rev quicker

Quick Reply: 944/924s intake modifacation discussion