Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to turn motor by hand.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

if the timing belt is off then you cant spin it up you will hit valve with the pistons the belt must be on and on tdc and timing marks lined up before doing that or you will hit valves and if you turn it over to hard you can ruin valves and pistons. also take a spark plug out and it will make the compression stroke easier to get threw.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 PM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 83 944
if the timing belt is off then you cant spin it up you will hit valve with the pistons the belt must be on and on tdc and timing marks lined up before doing that or you will hit valves and if you turn it over to hard you can ruin valves and pistons. also take a spark plug out and it will make the compression stroke easier to get threw.
My 1st post states that all the plugs are out. It wouldn't turn over with the timing belt on. When i took the belt off the cam turns but not the crank.

I'm aware of how an interference motor works and wont be damaging any valves.

It doesnt move a mm.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

okay dont have to chew my head off. i didnt mean to come off badly.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
KSM
Advanced

same thing happened with my motor got a new one and in the process of getting everything swapped and back together. once i have everything up and running ill tear into the old motor to see what failed. i had the same exact problem as you. engine wont budge and cam gear is still free. let u know what happened 2 mine if i get into it b4 u...
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 AM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Have you tried to put the engine (both top TDC and bottom FW marks) and cam back to TDC and install a belt? Then see if it rotates.

GL
John
How could it be rotaded to TDC if it is Seized?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gricec
Its definitely not in gear unfortunately - 1st thing I checked.

Ill check the balance shaft belt. It is pretty loose now so I dont think it is that.

The plan I think is to source a used short block replace all the gaskets and use my current head, intake etc.

Probably be wise to chuck a clutch in there at the same time.
That would be my choice.

Any chance the Clutch is hung up, and or transaxle is stuck between gears..., Mabye lift the rear of the car and try it again. just prior to pulling the motor. Not likely, but it would only take a couple minutes to rule out.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
gricec
Pro

Originally Posted by 944_S_TYPE
That would be my choice.

Any chance the Clutch is hung up, and or transaxle is stuck between gears..., Mabye lift the rear of the car and try it again. just prior to pulling the motor. Not likely, but it would only take a couple minutes to rule out.
I thought about that too. But the car does go in and out of gear. It rolls in neutral and doesnt in 1st so I dont think it is the clutch or tranny.

The head is coming off tonight - make sure I can still use it then Ill pull the motor when the new one gets here.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the head is fine, from the sounds of things it probably will be. pull the engine and just have a look at whats going on. if the piston is seized to the walls well new block time. if the conrod is seized to the crankshaft, it might be better if you just rebuild it with new and lighter bits unless you can find a very low mile engine for a good price.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 944_S_TYPE
How could it be rotaded to TDC if it is Seized?
Good point.

To the OP.

Part it out.

You bought a $900 Porsche with Fuchs, good interior and body.

You now plan to spend a couple thousand dollars or more to get it running. Add another thousand or more in necessary and miscellaneous parts and upgrades and you have $5000 in the car. Market value ~+- $2400.

Sell the parts (keep the Fuchs for now) and move up to a better car for less. Many sellers cannot get what they put into their cars after putting thousands into modifications and upgrades.

GL
John
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
gricec
Pro

Good point.

To the OP.

Part it out.

You bought a $900 Porsche with Fuchs, good interior and body.

You now plan to spend a couple thousand dollars or more to get it running. Add another thousand or more in necessary and miscellaneous parts and upgrades and you have $5000 in the car. Market value ~+- $2400.

Sell the parts (keep the Fuchs for now) and move up to a better car for less. Many sellers cannot get what they put into their cars after putting thousands into modifications and upgrades.

GL
John

Ha - the voice of reason. Its definitely an option.

Although I may sell the fuchs, use that money for a decent short block. Put some cookies on it, spend 300 on gaskets and just drive her.

The thing with parting is that I then end up with half a 944 sat outside for eons. It would sadden me to scrap the shell too. Its pretty!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

You forgot about the clutch you plan to replace... and ?
GL
John
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
gricec
Pro

even then i could be still be good to go for less than 2k with a newer motor and clutch
Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

$900 initial cost
$2000 minimum cost of engine, clutch & misc parts
=$2900

OK, it seems you are set on it.
Why not put in a 16 valve or 968 engine? Then you will recover your expense when you find a "green" buyer who has cash to burn.

You are planning to do the "same-same" mediocre result that many previous buyers of "rollers" end up with.

GL
John aka "the voice of reason"
Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM
gricec
Pro

$900 initial cost
$2000 minimum cost of engine, clutch & misc parts
=$2900

OK, it seems you are set on it.
Why not put in a 16 valve or 968 engine? Then you will recover your expense when you find a "green" buyer who has cash to burn.

You are planning to do the "same-same" mediocre result that many previous buyers of "rollers" end up with.

GL
John aka "the voice of reason"
I dont really need speed. I think I do this with a total outlay of about 2k. Its a nice car has the sports kit on it and a newer motor will make it sing again. If the stars align right maybe the clutch wont replacing! One can always dream.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

gricec,

Here are a few more ideas before you rip the engine apart. It could be something odd....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ne-locked.html

Could a lifter loose the keepers?
Did something fall into the flywheel and jam it?
Is the Starter selonoif frozen out?

Just ideas

GL
John

Quick Reply: Unable to turn motor by hand.