Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
1nice944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate

Changing my flexplate, 85-1, auto....taking the transmission out do I need to remove tt tube from rear or just the front, will the transmission drop with the 6 bolts out ....4 for the housing and 2 that hold it up, I also have a transmission cooler and I think one of the screws need a special tool, any other help on the auto would be great, getting new flexplate Wednesday and plan on Saturday getting it done, tranny is almost out, thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory does not have a trans cooler. You cannot remove the torque tube until you remove the circlip in the very front of the rotating shaft (in front of the rubber damper) of the torque tube. You would have to unbolt the bell housing, unbolt the rubber damper from the flex plate, move the bell housing back, and somehow remove that circlip.

The last time I had to do this, I removed the engine and took out the flex plate, broken damper, and replaced the whole thing with a pressure plate and worm out spring centered disc (last time you will ever have to deal with that $700 rubber damper breaking and the clutch setup will cost you nothing).

PM me with your phone number if you get stuck.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
1nice944
Advanced

well the transmission is out,this transmission does have a cooler and pretty sure its factory,2 lines connecting passenger side top,I took off the three 13mm bolts threw the hole in the tranny and it lowered right away,I was looking at the screws facing the motor but once I rotated the motor I seen the 3.....Now I have to move the ttube back to clear the bell housing,to move the ttube back is it only connected with the 4 bolts,I have all the clamps loose..........sorry its my My first time.lol...its all good

Originally Posted by Legoland951
The factory does not have a trans cooler. You cannot remove the torque tube until you remove the circlip in the very front of the rotating shaft (in front of the rubber damper) of the torque tube. You would have to unbolt the bell housing, unbolt the rubber damper from the flex plate, move the bell housing back, and somehow remove that circlip.

The last time I had to do this, I removed the engine and took out the flex plate, broken damper, and replaced the whole thing with a pressure plate and worm out spring centered disc (last time you will ever have to deal with that $700 rubber damper breaking and the clutch setup will cost you nothing).

PM me with your phone number if you get stuck.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 AM
1nice944
Advanced

Now im getting frustrated, ttube will not slide back,something is holding it, top driver side housing bolt giving me problems, tranny fluid all over garage.had to take a breather..uhhhhhh.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Read my post carefully. The torque tube WILL NOT SLIDE BACK due to a circlip. "You cannot remove the torque tube until you remove the circlip in the very front of the rotating shaft (in front of the rubber damper) of the torque tube. You would have to unbolt the bell housing, unbolt the rubber damper from the flex plate, move the bell housing back, and somehow remove that circlip."

Taking the tranny out is the easy part. Good luck in trying to put that circlip back for the reinstall. Its the reason why I never want to do that job again... thus the used pressure plate and clutch disc.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 AM
1nice944
Advanced

oh Thanks

QUOTE=Legoland951;8770661]Read my post carefully. The torque tube WILL NOT SLIDE BACK due to a circlip. "You cannot remove the torque tube until you remove the circlip in the very front of the rotating shaft (in front of the rubber damper) of the torque tube. You would have to unbolt the bell housing, unbolt the rubber damper from the flex plate, move the bell housing back, and somehow remove that circlip."

Taking the tranny out is the easy part. Good luck in trying to put that circlip back for the reinstall. Its the reason why I never want to do that job again... thus the used pressure plate and clutch disc.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 AM
1nice944
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1nice944
oh Thanks for the encouragement

QUOTE=Legoland951;8770661]Read my post carefully. The torque tube WILL NOT SLIDE BACK due to a circlip. "You cannot remove the torque tube until you remove the circlip in the very front of the rotating shaft (in front of the rubber damper) of the torque tube. You would have to unbolt the bell housing, unbolt the rubber damper from the flex plate, move the bell housing back, and somehow remove that circlip."

Taking the tranny out is the easy part. Good luck in trying to put that circlip back for the reinstall. Its the reason why I never want to do that job again... thus the used pressure plate and clutch disc.
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Don't forget to unbolt the rubber damper from the "flex plate" that is bolted to the crank. Once you have the circlip removed, bell housing moved back, rubber damper unbolted from the "flex plate" through the starter hole, then you are ready to slide the damper forward and drop it down through the opening between the bell housing and the engine block.

Seriously, replace the damper with a clutch setup and it will never ever wear out again. You won't have to install anything else other than a flywheel, worn out spring centered clutch, and a pressure plate (which you can get for free other than the flywheel as no one else will ever install a worn out clutch). The springs in the disc will act as a damper. I made my ex wife's car a semi automatic, which had a full working clutch in with a working automatic transmission so she could learn to use the clutch while having driving an auto. After a while, I converted the rest of the auto into a 5 speed.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:18 PM
1nice944
Advanced

thanks for the advice but..I already have a brand new damper, I was going to have someone do that, this thing is kicking my butt now, that top driver screw, to much play in the ratchet, maybe I should just sell the damper, I got it for a good price.thanks

QUOTE=Legoland951;8771231]Don't forget to unbolt the rubber damper from the "flex plate" that is bolted to the crank. Once you have the circlip removed, bell housing moved back, rubber damper unbolted from the "flex plate" through the starter hole, then you are ready to slide the damper forward and drop it down through the opening between the bell housing and the engine block.

Seriously, replace the damper with a clutch setup and it will never ever wear out again. You won't have to install anything else other than a flywheel, worn out spring centered clutch, and a pressure plate (which you can get for free other than the flywheel as no one else will ever install a worn out clutch). The springs in the disc will act as a damper. I made my ex wife's car a semi automatic, which had a full working clutch in with a working automatic transmission so she could learn to use the clutch while having driving an auto. After a while, I converted the rest of the auto into a 5 speed.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

I would sell the damper. Why not put in something that is going to last the life of your car for free?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Pfmk2
3rd Gear

I'm having to replace my flexplate, because a shop tried stiffing me on a cylinder head/ timing and balance shaft belts job [long story don't ask :-) ]
I was told when I took the '44 in to have belts tensioned at Ralph's in Reisterstown MD, that crankshaft and balance shaft seals were leaking..... caused a hard start that broke the flexplate...
is there an Article that describes in detail the use of the 5 spd parts to replace that rubber monster????
Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

you put the manual flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate on the engine instead of the flex plate/auto flywheel. just bolt it all together. no throwout bearing needed.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Originally Posted by Pfmk2
I'm having to replace my flexplate, because a shop tried stiffing me on a cylinder head/ timing and balance shaft belts job [long story don't ask :-) ]
I was told when I took the '44 in to have belts tensioned at Ralph's in Reisterstown MD, that crankshaft and balance shaft seals were leaking..... caused a hard start that broke the flexplate...
is there an Article that describes in detail the use of the 5 spd parts to replace that rubber monster????
Use directions for installing a clutch. The parts needed are already listed on this thread. Make sure when you put in the disc, use a clutch alignment tool or it will not be centered causing unwanted vibrations.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Pfmk2
3rd Gear

Great, Thanks... I'll see if Ralph will go for installing, I've only had the car since October, and the 2 shops in this area have caused sooooo many problems, most people just don't think it's worth it.... Pshhhaw It's a Porsche, my eyeballs will bleed before I send my darlin' to the bone Yard!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM
flashx
Intermediate

Ive done this on my 1984. Once you get the old flex plate out you will understand why its so much easier to put a clutch in and never have to pull it apart again.

Quick Reply: Flexplate