Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid reservoir overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake fluid reservoir overflowing

During the track day my brake fluid reservoir was overflowing. I It was filled to the max mark with ATE super blue, but I drained it to a little below the mark. This helped but did not eliminate the problem. The brakes never faded and the pedal remained firm throughout. I also have cooling ducts installed for the brakes.

Could it bee that there is too much heat in the area of the reservoir itself to make the fluid expand and overflow? Should I not fill the reservoir to the max mark when running on the track?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

run it just above Min. mark
Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run several 944's at the track, almost always somewhere just below the max level on brake fluid, and never really had any sort of leaking problem. I've seen some minor weeping on occasion, even with our Boxster, which I've always attributed to the fluid sloshing around in the corners. If you're getting more than a couple of drops of fluid escaping, my guess is the cap isn't sealing properly. Or, possibly a crack in the reservoir, maybe around the neck where the cap goes.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll check the cap and the reservoir, sounds like a plausible cause.

Does your reservoir get really hot when running on the track? I've started to suspect that my hood liner may reflect/ retain too much heat from the turbo causing the fluid to expand. The dipstick heated up enough for it to change colour to steel blue in the area where it passes by the turbo.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cap also leaks a little. Replace the cap with a new one, still leaks. Most of the 944 track cars I seen have a paper towel or some other device to cover and catch any leaks (including mine).
Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I guess I went overly complicated in my analysis of this problem. I'll get some paper towels, worry less and drive more
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Thanks, I'll check the cap and the reservoir, sounds like a plausible cause.

Does your reservoir get really hot when running on the track? I've started to suspect that my hood liner may reflect/ retain too much heat from the turbo causing the fluid to expand. The dipstick heated up enough for it to change colour to steel blue in the area where it passes by the turbo.
I don't have any turbos, but what you describe seems like something worth investigating further. Others with turbos can chime in, but sounds like your car may be emitting alot of heat. Is it chipped/overboosted? Do you know if its running on the lean side fuel-wise? What octane gas are you using? I'm wondering if you're exhaust gas temps might be higher than they should be.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

never had much issue w my modded turbo at the track- just get a new cap or seal and don't top the fluids off- also sounds like your pads are getting the fluid hot, what pads do you run on the track ?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

Most of the 944T racers I know have put the gold foil or DEI heat shielding around the engine side of the heat shield the Turbos have to deflect some of the heat away from the master cylinder. One guy even had cut an air scoop in his hood to get air in their to help keep it cool.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

sounds like your pads are getting the fluid hot, what pads do you run on the track
I ran Ferodo DS2500 pads, I plan to switch to Hawk pads due to cost.

Most of the 944T racers I know have put the gold foil or DEI heat shielding around the engine side of the heat shield the Turbos have to deflect some of the heat away from the master cylinder. One guy even had cut an air scoop in his hood to get air in their to help keep it cool.
never had much issue w my modded turbo at the track
Sounds like some have this issue and some don't. Could it be pad and fluid dependent?

Should I remove the hood liner? I installed it to protect the paint because there was some discoloration above the headers when I got the car and the hood needed a repaint. Could this discoloration be an indication of other problems?

Quick Reply: Brake fluid reservoir overflowing