Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   help! Power seat won't go up [FIXED!!!] (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/644483-help-power-seat-wont-go-up-fixed.html)

dillon410021 07-15-2011 08:56 PM

help! Power seat won't go up [FIXED!!!]

my power seat will not tilt up. it tilts back but not up. Now, it is almost all the way back and I cant drive like that. Is it the switch? I took the switch apart and everything looked ok and I cleaned the wire where they connect. It is the middle switch out of the three on the side of the seat. it tilts the back rest forward and backward.

anyone have a good used one of these?

I fixed the problem!

ZW 944 07-16-2011 02:32 AM

its the switch. I just fixed both of them on a sport seat I just bought, neither worked, now they both work in both directions ( 4 way power) just take them out, spray with WD-40, clean with a paper towel, and reassemble.

dillon410021 07-16-2011 10:32 PM

ok, I fixed the problem. I pulled the switch apart yesterday and wiped everything down and still had the problem. Today, found the exact wire that was causing the problem and reversed it with the other wire(the one that makes the seat go back) to make sure the motor wasn't the problem. After I found the problem wire, i took the switch even further apart and cleaned it. Put it together and it works great. There was some build up on internals of the switch and it was acting as a big resistor. I also fixed my e- brake by tightening the cable a bit and fixed the switch that makes the dash light light up telling you the e- brake is on.

ZW 944 07-16-2011 11:53 PM

Cool! I'm glad you were able to get it fixed! haha, I did the same thing with the e-brake while I had the seat out, it makes it soo much easier to access. Oh, and its nice having a working e-brake again

dillon410021 07-17-2011 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ZW 944 (Post 8718322)
Cool! I'm glad you were able to get it fixed! haha, I did the same thing with the e-brake while I had the seat out, it makes it soo much easier to access. Oh, and its nice having a working e-brake again

yeah, it was much easier to work on the e- brake when that huge and heavy seat was removed. My e- brake was a bit too loose for comfort and you really had to yank on it to keep the car from rolling. Now it works great.

Cyberpunky 07-17-2011 07:39 AM

I have the same problem with my passenger seat(wont go down). Do you have to remove the seat to fix this ?

TIA

dillon410021 07-17-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky (Post 8718690)
I have the same problem with my passenger seat(wont go down). Do you have to remove the seat to fix this ?

TIA

removing the seat make it much easier. taking the switch isn't bad. Putting it together isn't fun. I used some grease to keep the ball bearings on the little springs. The two wires that make the backrest go up and down were black and gray on my seat.

pkt1213 07-17-2011 03:40 PM

I had the the reverse of your problem. The back went all the way up and wouldn't come back down. I took both switches apart and cleaned them and at least the front lifted up now instead of leaning me into the steering wheel. I'm going to be taking the switch back apart in a bit and see if I can fix the rear and also fix the passengers side seat.

Didn't think about adjusting the ebrake while I am there but it's a good idea now that I think about it.

Signalmtb 04-27-2016 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by pkt1213 (Post 8719443)
I had the the reverse of your problem. The back went all the way up and wouldn't come back down. I took both switches apart and cleaned them and at least the front lifted up now instead of leaning me into the steering wheel. I'm going to be taking the switch back apart in a bit and see if I can fix the rear and also fix the passengers side seat.

Didn't think about adjusting the ebrake while I am there but it's a good idea now that I think about it.

Anyone have a good link/pics to how to get the switch out? I pulled the plastic frame off holding the switch in, but the switch itself wasn't coming out easily and I didn't want to force it. Not sure if some wires or something else was holding it in.

fiily 04-28-2016 12:10 PM

There are tabs on each side of the plastic frame that you need to push inwards to release it from the seat frame, but before you run into that mess, read the paragraph and watch the video below.

I had the same issue as did jorgen in the youtube video. I took the seat out to find I had a snapped wire under the seat, re-did the wiring and the switches work in all ways.